Loose Canare's... How can this be ???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by SeanA, Jun 7, 2003.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Just got my new Blue Jeans component video cables, and was excited to get them installed and replace my budget AR cables. The construction looked good and solid and the Blue Jeans cables were definitely beefier and heavier than the AR cables, even though they were 2 feet shorter. I connected the cable to my TV and my Samsung SIR-T151 receiver (which sits above the TV) and I noticed they seemed to slide onto the RCA posts of the Samsung too easy. So easy in fact that the weight of the cables pulled them right back off. The Canare RCA connectors would not hold on, so I had to prop the cable against the wall to keep it in place. I don't like this because I have a sense that a loose fit can possibly result in poor signal transmission.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem with Canare RCA connectors ??? Is it possible they are defective or is there a way to correct this problem ??? I thought these were suppose to be the best !?!? Well my AR cables definitely had more of a snug fit, and the Monster V3's that I use with my DVD player almost require a crow bar to seat them. I did just send an e-mail to Blue Jeans to see what they suggest.

It's been a bad weekend... my new cables and my new Denon DVD-900 have been a disappointment so far. [​IMG]

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Which AR cables were you using? I'm using teh AR Master series which comes with locking RCA for a snug fit.

Kevin

3. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Hey Kevin,

I was using AR's performance series (model APO91 I believe). I think these are the cheapest of the AR line of component video cables and that is why I decided to upgrade. I really thought going with the custom made cables was the best bet in terms of the performance-price factor, but now I am thinking of spending extra dollars for either the over-hyped Monsters or the AR Master Series. The Monster cables I have now really have a death grip, so maybe it isn't all hype !?!?

I didn't know there was such a thing as "locking" RCA connectors. Can I ask where you purchased the AR Master Series cables ???

I am really shocked and disappointed about these Canare connectors. It seems all the custom cable makers use them and they sure are talked up on this forum.

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Look inside those Canare plugs. There should be little flanges/fingers that stick inward to provide a snug friction-fit. If they are not damaged, I'm afraid it's the RCA connectors on the Samsung thats the problem.

Have you tried turning the cable around to use the plugs that were attached to the TV/Receiver on the Samsung? If the plugs fit fine on the TV, but slip off the Samsung on both ends - it's not the cable's fault.

6. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Bob,

I did try it both ways, and the Canare plugs are a little bit tighter on my Sony TV but still not particularly snug when compared to either my AR cable or the Monsters.

Just wanted to say that I think this in no way reflects upon Blue Jeans Cables. As a matter of fact, Kurt at Blue Jeans has been incredibly responsive and he is even going to try to find a Samsung SIR-T151 to test out the Canare plugs. I am going to wait to see what he finds before I decide if I will return the cables. I actually do believe I perceive a modest picture improvement with the Blue Jeans cables over the AR cables.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Try cleaning the AR's with some contact cleaner. So much for industry standards in size huh?

8. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I don't know if this will help but using my now retired SIR T-150 I found a new (never used)Canare plug fit quite snugly on all three connectors.

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Could you measure the outer-diamater of the RCA plugs on the Samsung? Try this: get a Monkey Wrench and tighten the jaws down on one of the RCA plugs on your TV. Just do it finger tight (you are not trying to crush anything). Then with the wrench adjusted for the TV plugs, see how snug the fit is for the Samsung. This is a rough way to see if the Samsung has too-small RCA's.

10. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I think what I might do is measure the OD of the jack with a calipers. It probably only takes a few thousandths of an inch to go from a tight to a loose fit, and I should be able to borrow calipers from work (I'm a mechanical engineer).

In the meantime, I am going to return the cables and give a new set of Blue Jeans one more try. The set I have is bundled together in large shrink wrap. I can also order them as individual cables, and I think that is what I will try this time. That way there will be less weight wanting to pull the Canare plugs off.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I will post again if there is anything interesting to report.

11. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

Sean,

So, I am not the only one.... I just got a component cable, and a 6channel audio cable from Blue Jeans, and I love the build quality. I do, however, seem to have the same issue as you. the cable connections are not a tight as other cables I have used (monster, AR, generic). One of my component connections came off my DVD player (Denon 1600), while I was hooking up my 6channel audio cable. Granted the DVD player was moving around a little, and the component cable was moving as well, but not enough for one of the connections to come off. Have you noticed how stiff these beasts are [​IMG].... I almost had a problem putting the cables on, they don't like to bend into place.. I hope there isn't some "issue" with the plugs.

Kimo B.

12. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I returned the cables to Blue Jeans and just got the replacement cables. This time I ordered the individual cables instead of the ones that are wrapped together. I figured this would help as there would be less weight pulling down on the top cable.

Well... the new Canare plugs have a noticeably tighter fit, on a par with my AR cables. These are keepers !!! Construction by Blue Jeans again appears to be excellent. My only conclusion is perhaps that Canare has a bit of a quality issue, and may make some out-of-tolerance connectors from time to time.

Kimo,

If the cables definitely won't hold, send an e-mail to Kurt at Blue Jeans. He was very responsive and went above and beyond to help remedy the problem. If there is a problem with the Canare connectors, it will have to be the custom cable manufacturers that will have to start taking issue with Canare.

13. Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson Stunt Coordinator

Mine are not really, really tight, but I don't have a problem with that...