What's new

Loopin in my mind about AVR choice (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
About the only people who care about multiple crossovers are those of us into SACD/DVD-A and buy large speakers for all channels, yet still want the sub to play up to 80hz.

With single point AVR(the bottom end Denon and Onkyo are also this way, predominantly the ones without Audyssey), if you want your speakers to play to 40...you have to have your sub set up to 40 as well.

Real Name
Jasper
Don't mean to be rude but can we focus on the original post? Can someone comment on the Class D amp sounding "different" or lacking in go when we get serious in our listening? And do any of the receivers mentioned or suggested have separate crossovers for front, rear, sub, etc?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We weren't being "rude". We were clarifying that you could/should also consider the Yamaha A30X0. (as in 3000 to 3040)

Class D amps, to me, sound dead. But I'm used to class A and AB. I also have a tube on a pair of Heathkit.

I had a class D amp in my car for about a week, yanked it back out.

Any AVR with Audyssey(including NAD, which you could also consider) and Anthem, plus the A30X0 have multiple crossovers.

All Pioneer/Elite and anything Yamaha not an A30X0 is single point.

Have no clue about Sony.

Real Name
Jasper
Type A said:
My apoligies Jasper, here at HTF we take a lot of pride in giving the most accurate advice possible.
This is appreciated.

I am trying to narrow down my choices - not expand them. Do any of the choices I mentioned not have separate crossovers? If not, that wasn't mentioned. Then maybe i should consider the Yamaha.

Real Name
Jasper
I didn't say you were being rude. I said "I don't mean to be rude". lol...

Thanks for answering the question about the Class D amps. I guess the same rule applies from car audio. I used AB amps as well.
schan1269 said:
We weren't being "rude". We were clarifying that you could/should also consider the Yamaha A30X0. (as in 3000 to 3040)

Class D amps, to me, sound dead. But I'm used to class A and AB. I also have a tube on a pair of Heathkit.

I had a class D amp in my car for about a week, yanked it back out.

Any AVR with Audyssey(including NAD, which you could also consider) and Anthem, plus the A30X0 have multiple crossovers.

All Pioneer/Elite and anything Yamaha not an A30X0 is single point.

Have no clue about Sony.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I also have a Pioneer Elite vsx-23 (about a 5 year old model with a class A amp) and a couple of years ago I bought an SC-35. All SC's, either Elite or standard Pioneer, are class D's. I didn't notice any difference in sound quality while mostly listenning in two channel Pure Analog. Others say they hear a difference, I didn't.

While there may be some difference in sound quality between different receivers, features, connections and "usability" are the real differences. A single crossover setting could be a real problem for some members so it was important to point it out. It was also important (and enjoyable I bet :lol: ) for Ty to correct my little boo-boo...again.

Integras lack of a Pure Audio mode was also a disappointment.

Pioneers MCACC doesn't eq the sub.

Denons are a pain in the...

Marantz isn't what it used to be, but still pretty good.

In short, there is no perfect receiver.

In the $700-$1000 price range I think an Elite would be a good match for you. But Integra or yamaha would also be a good choice.

Still fancy a Mrantz (one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch) or Yamaha, oe Denon, Or Onkyo? Then consider a factory refurbished unit from ac4l.com. 5 Year extended warranties are reasonable.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Im partial to Marantz and Yamaha just based on usability quality and reliability. I would avoid any AVR that does not have sub management (like the Pioneer system Gene mentioned). If getting an Audyssey room correction equipped AVR I would get the highest version possible as better room correction and sub management does make a big difference. I wouldnt really worry about crossover options or amp types.

Real Name
Jasper
Yeah...I was looking for something like this. somebody to differentiate out the features and pains of each receiver. Anyone else, please feel free to add!

This will be a hard decision. I ran a active setup in my car audio, not passive. Allowed for more adjustability, which I want. So the separate adjustable crossovers are nice.

I like Pure Audio as the NR5007 had it. This is a huge plus when it comes to music listening.

The Denon sounded better to me than the Marantz at Best Buy, but they weren't to knowledgable on how they were set up so who knows. Marantz sounded laid back while the Denon was more in your face which I like.
gene c said:
I also have a Pioneer Elite vsx-23 (about a 5 year old model with a class A amp) and a couple of years ago I bought an SC-35. All SC's, either Elite or standard Pioneer, are class D's. I didn't notice any difference in sound quality while mostly listenning in two channel Pure Analog. Others say they hear a difference, I didn't.

While there may be some difference in sound quality between different receivers, features, connections and "usability" are the real differences. A single crossover setting could be a real problem for some members so it was important to point it out. It was also important (and enjoyable I bet :lol: ) for Al to correct my little boo-boo...again.

Integras lack of a Pure Audio mode was also a disappointment.

Pioneers MCACC doesn't eq the sub.

Denons are a pain in the...

Marantz isn't what it used to be, but still pretty good.

In short, there is no perfect receiver.

In the $700-$1000 price range I think an Elite would be a good match for you. But Integra or yamaha would also be a good choice.

Still fancy a Mrantz (one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch) or Yamaha, oe Denon, Or Onkyo? Then consider a factory refurbished unit from ac4l.com. 5 Year extended warranties are reasonable.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Marantz receivers were considered "warm' or "musical" in days past but since they were bought by Denon a few years ago they are starting to closely resemble each other. But Marantz engineers are said to have at least a little input on their internal design but who knows.

Another issue I had with Pioneer is they didn't have on-screen display of volume and surround mode adjustents. I think the newer receivers have them but I'm not sure. In my livingroom the receiver is 18' from the seating area and I can barely see the small front display. Having minor adjustments displayed on the screen is a huge help. But the 6 MCACC presets (even though they're not PEQ :) ) also remember individual speaker volums which is a nice thing. Most other receivers only have one manual eq. The SR-120 had 3.

Denon remotes are better then they used to be but Marantz remotes are the best out there, imo of course. Or, get a Harmony...while you still can.

Ac4l.com has refurbished Denon 3313's for $629 + shipping. A 5 year warranty is another $70. The 3313 is very similar to the Marantz 7005/7007.

Real Name
Jasper
I think my decision may come down based off the answer to this question.

What amps out there has PURE AUDIO and is THX PLUS 2 certified and is around $1000 or less (if any) but the next cheapest?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Denon X1000 (have no idea if any of the E series have it as I don't care to bother with those)
Yamaha 675
Onkyo 626(525 might as well)
Elite VSX 43

Real Name
Jasper
i thought the marantz sr5008 has pure audio. Or is it just direct audio? I think that will be good enough...It also has preouts. I think this is the AV that I will be going for.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 5008 does have Pure Audio. It's the button on the bottom right of the remote. With an analog signal it also turns off the video output. With an HDMI signal the video is still transferred to the display. You can also use the L/R connection from the multi-ch analog inputs as they bypass all conversion and processing.

It's nice to see Marantz is still including pre-outs and 7.1 ch analog inputs. They're starting to disappear in entry and mid-level receivers. I really like Maantz receivers because they arfe much easer to setup and operate then most others (IMO of course), even if they are more exensive then their Denon cousins. But it looks like they've really watered down the remotes on the newer receivers (Onkyo/Integra also has). But I guess most people might lke the fewer buttons and less cluttered look. The remotes on my 5005/6005/7005 were/are about the best I've used from a receiver manufacture. Hated the ones from the older 7002/8002.

Real Name
Jasper
I ended up going with a Denon 3313 CI. I found a deal that I couldn't pass up at the local Best Buy. $700. Has preouts, direction audio, all the stuff I was looking for.

First impression:

WOW. I was not expecting that level of output from my speakers which are Klipsch RF 82s ii. Only running the 2 mains for now. Got good wires as well (not monster) which may be contributing. The characteristics and output of the klipsch speakers have totally exceeded my expectations from when I auditioned them in the store, which was through a separate ampflier. I think Klipsch and Denon match very well together. Can't wait to expand on this system!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks