Loony Tunes: What if?... How many discs question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Reader, Sep 4, 2002.

1. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Am I right in thinking that there was close to 1000 Loony Tunes/Merry Melodies cartoons released?

If so should Warner Bros decide to release the cartoons in chronological sequence, assuming about 3 1/2 hours per disc, how many discs would it take to release the complete Warners cartoon short library?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    3 1/2 would be cutting it close. The animation is highly detailed, so I'd actually aim for about 23 shorts or between 180-200 min. per disc...just to make sure the animation looks as good as possible.
    There's exactly 1000 of the cartoons which were released to theaters as normal 1-reelers between 1930 and 1969. There's an estimated 1150 (estimated) in all. This includes unreleased stuff like the first Bosko short, the 4 Spooney Melodies, a ton of military films, public service films, sequences for other films, etc and etc.
    It would take roughly 40-50 DVD-9's to fit the entire library. WB will most likely keep the original mono for the pre-1980s stuff and keep the stereo tracks for the '80s and 1990's cartoons. Also, it's likely they'll include extras like art galleries, alternate versions (a handful had edits done for reissues or censorship before release, there's a 3-D cartoon)...etc
    While an average of 45 DVDs may seem like a lot, if WB released every one of the cartoons (yes, even the incorrectly marked "politically incorrect" cartoons) onto DVD, packages could be made. I know a lot of people want chronological sets...but a lot of the stuff made between Hugh Harmon and Rudy Ising leaving WB and before Porky Pig became a star...is really dull. There's a few gems, but a a DVD set of just 1934 stuff could bore you to tears.
    IMO...the best way to divide up the sets is to do it by theme. All the Bosko cartoons would have their own 2-disc set. The B&W Porky Pig cartoons would go into a 3-disc set. A set of rareties like the Snafus, army/navy shorts, misc stuff, etc could have its own set. All the Tex Avery cartoons...including the Bugs and Daffy shorts (since he only made 3 Daffys and 4 Bugs) could have their own asylum. [​IMG]
    Other sets: B&W Merrie Melodies, 1930's Musical cartoons, Wartime Cartoons, Chuck Jones' one-shots (non "big" character shorts), The Complete Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote, The Complete Bugs Bunny, The Cartoons of Bob Clampett, The Complete Speedy Gonzales, The Complete Sylvester and Tweety, etc...
    I'd personally like to see a featurette made for each set. I'd also like to see some made on stuff like the colorizations (and boast how wonderful the original B&W's look!), the restoration, etc.
    BTW...it's LOONEY, not Loony. [​IMG]

3. James Reader

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

5. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

And how much would Warner charge us for all of its goodness?

Themed sets would be fine with me. Sniffles the Mouse could have his/her own volume. Yosemite Sam on disc would be a big Y-E-S!

6. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

They could charge just about anything. I would get them at almost any price.

7. Geo Gabor

Geo Gabor Stunt Coordinator

My only concern is that with theme-based DVDs there might be a lot of overlaps - the same cartoon on multiple DVDs. I'd rather not have to pay twice for the same cartoon.

I'm champing at the bit for these...

8. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    WB owns all Tex Avery cartoons except for the ones he made for Universal's Walter Lantz cartoon studio. (BTW...where are those Woody Woodpecker DVDs, Universal?)

Ventriliquist Cat is an MGM cartoon, so it's not a Looney Tune or Merrie Melody. Only cartoons made by the WB cartoon studio have those names.

The discs ARE being worked on (in fact, WHV reps have said the people working on them have a passion for the cartoons) but it'll take a while. Most of the color pre-1948 cartoons need/needed considerable restoration and a lot of the B&W cartoons made before 1936 need/needed a lot of help. Also add the many misc cartoons like Snafu and the "lost" The Adventures of the Road-Runner needing restoration...

At least when we get them, they'll look and sound great.

10. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I'd like to see them released chronologically, just to avoid the possible duplication you'd see with themed sets. Some of the special stuff, like the Snafu's and the "politically incorrect" cartoons could have their own release, seeing as how not everyone would want these in their collection.

11. James Reader

12. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    The laser discs are themed and have no dups so it is possible to do WB/MGM themed discs without dups.
    kd

13. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I simply love the Looney Tunes cartoons, so bring them on.
    Thanks for all the informations shared about these classics.
    [​IMG]

14. Michael St. Clair

I'll buy them however they come.

However, I don't expect complete chronological releases. For one thing, the majority of the best ones came in the late 40s and early 50s. The ones from the 60s are pretty much crap, and so on. I think they'll mix them up some like the laserdisc box sets. For another thing, some of the cartoons will likely not be released (the censored 11). Certain themed sets would sell like wildfire.

Releasing big boxed sets like the LDs, in conjunction with themed sets (also like the single-disc LDs) might be the smartest way to market them.

Regardless, I'll buy.

15. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Michael

You talk about 11 episodes being censored. Which one are they ?

thanks

16. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks for the link and will have a look there
    cheers
    [​IMG]

18. Michael St. Clair

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

20. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I've got all five "Golden Age Of Looney Tunes" Laserdisc box sets, which cover 330+ LT and MM shorts. As far as I know, these include practically all ~1930-1948/49 titles except pre-1942 (?) B/W Looney Tunes and 10-12 not "politically correct" ones.

So for me it would be convenient if I could get the B/W LTs (not MMs), the non-PC ones and the post 1948/49 titles without too much overlap with what I've got already.