Looney Tunes Volume 2: Contents Announced

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
Bunny Hugged, The Dover Boys, I love to Singa, What's Opera Doc, The Great Piggy Bank Robbery, Bear for Punishment and Kitty Cornered?

Some awesome stuff on this one, much better than volume one IMHO.

Here's to hoping that Volume 3 has "Ali-Baba Bunny", "It's Hummer Time", "To Hare is Human" and "Bewitched Bunny"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My set arrived but is still in shrinkwrap.
Is the Bugs Bunny meets Little Red Riding Hood
(Hey Grandma!) cartoon on here? That's an all-time
favorite.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
A great set!!

"Hey-y-y Grandma! That's an awfully big nose for ya...ta have!"

However...

Having said that, the menu artwork is appalling!! It looks worse than hand-drawn (which it is...) artwork for public domain cartoon sets. Judge for yourself:

Having spent most of the time watching electoral coverage tonight, I decided to spin disc 1. I think that real Carl Stalling beds would have been far better than those cheesy computer-generated music bits any day.

No disrespect to all the WB animators who have designed the rabbit, Robert McKimson's version has to be the definitive Bugs Bunny model, and any artwork for a set such as this should use that as reference.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
This set is just as good as the first one! Bring on Vol 3!

I had never seen (IIRC) Three Little Bops. I fell in love with it! I couldnt help but smile when I watched it.

I do need help remembering the names of a few shorts:

1) The one with Bugs playing barber to Elmer. It was set to a classical piece of music.

2) Farm animals eating "weather pills" and freaking out.

3) Witch Hazel duking it out with Bugs with Hansel and Gretel. "Honsel? Honsel? hehehehehehe!"

Thanks

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
quote:1) The one with Bugs playing barber to Elmer. It was set to a classical piece of music.

Rabbit of Seville. This is on the first Golden Collection.

quote:2) Farm animals eating "weather pills" and freaking out.

Porky the Rainmaker.

quote:3) Witch Hazel duking it out with Bugs with Hansel and Gretel. "Honsel? Honsel? hehehehehehe!"

Bewitched Bunny.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) The one with Bugs playing barber to Elmer. It was set to a classical piece of music.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply Patrick. But Rabbit of Seville doesnt sound right to me. I have Vol 1 and I dont remeber it being on there. Maybe we are not thinking of the same cartoon.

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
I Have a question about the "50th Anniversary Special" included in the set. Warner Brothers made TWO 50th anniversary specialsin the Late 80s; One focusing on Bugs Bunny & one focusing on "Looney Tunes". One of these was pretty tounge-in-cheek. Steve Martin discussed how stars were "influenced" by Looney Tunes; Jeff Goldblum talked about Petunia Pig's "disrespect" by WB; & Bill Murray stole the show with a behind-the-scenes tale about Yosemite Sam. Is this the included special? And if it is, why was it broken up on TWO dvds? Was some of the special's content been removed? Thanks.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I think Patrick was right. "Rabbit of Seville" is the very last cartoon appearing on the first disc of the "Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 1". It matches Matt's description exactly, the classical piece most directly referenced being "The Barber of Seville", (with a nod to "The Marriage of Figaro" at the end.
)

Regards,

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
quote:I think Patrick was right. "Rabbit of Seville" is the very last cartoon appearing on the first disc of the "Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 1". It matches Matt's description exactly, the classical piece most directly referenced being "The Barber of Seville", (with a nod to "The Marriage of Figaro" at the end. )

Ill check it when I get home from work. Maybe you guys are right. I just dont remember seeing the one Im thinking of.

Thanks Ken and Patrick.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
quote:I Have a question about the "50th Anniversary Special" included in the set. Warner Brothers made TWO 50th anniversary specialsin the Late 80s; One focusing on Bugs Bunny & one focusing on "Looney Tunes". One of these was pretty tounge-in-cheek. Steve Martin discussed how stars were "influenced" by Looney Tunes; Jeff Goldblum talked about Petunia Pig's "disrespect" by WB; & Bill Murray stole the show with a behind-the-scenes tale about Yosemite Sam. Is this the included special? And if it is, why was it broken up on TWO dvds? Was some of the special's content been removed? Thanks.

I believe it was broken into two, so one disc wouldn't be top heavy with content/information compared to the other discs in the set. I understand this was done so as to not sacrifice picture quality. I do not believe any part of the special was edited out, but then again, I won't be ordering this until Friday.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
REALLY nice set and a good way to get through a depressing day like today.

My beef, though, is that the black source tag was put on the actual box itself instead of the plastic disc trays-- I was incredibly careful in peeling it off, but it did tear the cardboard. Who's the bonehead who makes these decisions?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
quote:My beef, though, is that the black source tag was put on the actual box itself instead of the plastic disc trays-- I was incredibly careful in peeling it off, but it did tear the cardboard. Who's the bonehead who makes these decisions?

Same thing happened to me.

Ken & Patrick,

Rabbit of Seville was the one I was looking for. I guess I didnt see or realise it was on there. I did watch the disc when I first got it. Maybe I was distracted when it was on cause I didnt remeber seeing it.

Thanks again.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
My friendly neighborhood retailer (where I pre-paid for my set) has yet to receive their shipment. The customers are about to riot.
With luck, it will arrive today.

Patrick, your screen shot looks delicious!

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
I got my set yesterday and only had a chance to watch three of the shorts this morning before work (Broomstick Bunny, One Froggy Evening, What's Opera Doc), but I have two very minor quibbles.

1) The inside slipcase seems to have been printed backwards. When the slipcase is oriented so that Bugs appears through the cutout hole in the outside cover, the spine with the Golden Collection title is inside the outer cover instead of being viewable.

2) Broomstick Bunny appeared to me to be zoomed in, especially at the top, as the framing looks like it cuts a noticeable amount off in several scenes. I'm guessing that perhaps there was some perforation or edge damage with this short which necessitated the apparent cropping?

Neither of these is a dealbreaker (at least for me), but I thought they were worth pointing out. Otherwise, from what I saw of the three I sampled this morning, they look wonderful and certainly brought a smile to my face to start the day with. Looking forward to watching more over the weekend!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
quote:1) The inside slipcase seems to have been printed backwards. When the slipcase is oriented so that Bugs appears through the cutout hole in the outside cover, the spine with the Golden Collection title is inside the outer cover instead of being viewable

No, it's normal. It's like that on all the 4-disc gatefold cases I've seen (except for MST3K Vol. 1).

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
I have never seen "I love to singa" but after watching it, I have to consider it one of my favorites. Can't stop humming the song.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco