Looney Tunes Uncensored why not Disney?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blu, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Here I sit, Sunday morning Oct. 28 at 6:46 am, watching the Cartoon Network as usual. I have just witnessed cartoon characters smoking (cigarettes and cigars) with hand guns, and many many scenes of cartoon violence! Now if this is on tv then why in the world would Disney want to censor their DVDs?
    I don't get it. Is Disney using the "Chewbacca Defense" on us? It don't make sense!

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Different companies, different philosophies.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Also, let's not think that the Cartoon Network are some kind of heroes here. They may not have censored those cartoons, but they recently had a Bugs Bunny Marathon where they refused to run a number of the Bugs cartoons at all.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

4. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    There are numerous Looney Tunes (and MGM cartoons) that Cartoon Network regularly censors (not just the "June Bugs" incident), and several that they never play at all. This has more to do with Warner Bros (and Ted Turner) than it does the network itself (though it is a Time-Warner entity). Cartoon Network only gets to play the cartoons (in whatever form, un-cut or not) that Warner is willing to give them.
    The one regular exception is the weekly Bob Clampett Show. Apparently, in order for the program to have access to some BEANY & CECIL cartoons and other non-Warner materials from the Clampett estate, Warner/Cartoon Network are obligated by contract with Clampett's family to air Clampett's WB cartoons in the program un-cut. Clampett's gun-to-the-head suicide gags ("Well...now I've seen everything!" ***BANG!***), for example, are routinely edited out of Cartoon Network broadcasts outside of The Bob Clampett Show.
    Hopefully all the restored cartoons in the upcoming I'm Popeye show on Cartoon Network will be uncut, although the show has been postponed, which gives me a bad feeling. Still, Warner is generally looser (in a relative sense) with their cartoons than Disney, unless the upcoming Silly Symphony & Mickey Mouse DVDs are truly uncut (and no digital alterations of cartoon content). At least Disney will make their classic cartoon library available on Region 1 DVD in the USA...

5. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    That's why I'm glad I still have my laser discs, they weren't censored!

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Disney's upcoming Treasures DVD's are uncensored. The Silly Symphony DVD even has both the original and 1940's re-issue version of Three Little Pigs. (note: It's NOT censored...the studio even reanimated the offending scene.)
    Most of the cartoons are not really risky in content and the sets ARE aimed for the collector.
    Cartoon Network WAS going to show 100% of the Bugs cartoons, but some WB execs found out and forced them to pull 10 cartoons. CN really tries hard (They occasionally will air a "rare cartoon" Acme Hour)
    CN has aired many excellent programs like their Bob Clampett Show, The Lost WB Cartoons special, and the Wartime Cartoons special. They're even working on a RESTORED Popeye cartoon show. They even have an hour of B&W-only cartoons late sunday night.
    ------------------
    Visit my DVD review site, 24 fps DVD Reviews @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/DVD/
    and
    The Colorized Cartoon Database @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/