What's new

Looney Tunes & Tom and Jerry (1 Viewer)

DaveK

Second Unit
Any news from Warner (or Jerry Beck) on additional volumes of the Looney Tunes Platinum collection or the Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Volume 2 being released.

With Tom & Jerry, it seems that other countries are enjoying the restored versions

If Warners can put out 1930s movies with blackface scenes, then two cartoons shouldn't stop the additional cartoons being released.

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think they said that the Platinum Collection volume 3 would be the last of that series. Tom & Jerry seemed to get indefinitely stalled when fans balked at the possible exclusion of cartoons that had race related elements.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes I think Tom and Jerry is dead. Volume 2 was set to come out but when Warner announced they wouldn't include the 2 questionable cartoons. fans posted many places that they wouldn't buy it. So Warner listened and cancelled it. I don't see anything changing with this for a long, long time. Which is sad I would have rather had the set minus those 2 cartoons than nothing at all but I guess I'm in the minority.
Looney Tunes could resurface again.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes I think Tom and Jerry is dead. Volume 2 was set to come out but when Warner announced they wouldn't include the 2 questionable cartoons. fans posted many places that they wouldn't buy it. So Warner listened and cancelled it. I don't see anything changing with this for a long, long time. Which is sad I would have rather had the set minus those 2 cartoons than nothing at all but I guess I'm in the minority.
Looney Tunes could resurface again.
I get the feeling that the majority who complained assumed that Warner would relent and include the questionable cartoons, but unfortunately Warner went the other way, which in effect, amounted to throwing out the baby with the bathwater (Itself, not PC, I know!) - too bad!

While I agree with the previous poster who stated Warner's apparent willingness to issue live action Features that include blackface scenes, it seems a different standard is applied when it comes to their animation catalogue, probably because of their being geared toward children, is my guess. I'm not saying I agree with this, but that's how it appears to me.

CHEERS! :)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Disney Treasures buried some of the cartoons that might be questioned in the extras. That way, if one wanted to hit "play all" for children, they wouldn't come up. I thought that would have been an acceptable compromise.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
not to wet to many appetites, but for those wanting classic WB / Termite Terrace animation feast your eyes on what is a step in the right direction of those missing Looney Tunes sets

1595354654273.png

no specs as of yet, the big announcement should happen at Virtual Comic Con, but the scheduled release date is 10/21

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
A number of folks have been speculating this might be the entire Bugs Bunny filmography minus a small handful of politically incorrect cartoons (this is WHV not WAC). Roughly 100 of the 160 Golden Age Bugs cartoons have already been restored, so I'm cautiously hopeful this set includes those plus the remaining cartoons restored secretly up in the watertower.

ThadK

Second Unit
Not a complete set. Only 60 cartoons - at least that’s what a press release says. Jerry Beck does say that at least 40 were never available before, which does account for the titles still in limbo save the "you-know-what" titles. Of course, that could also be 40 "new to Blu-Ray" cartoons, which I'd still be fine with.

Last edited:

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
I'd like to have Chuck Jones's T&J collection on blu. His 34 shorts are my absolute favorite of the T&J franchise. The artistic style, the backgrounds, the music everything about his contribution to the series was perfect.

And having Mel Blanc on board for random yelps and other vocalizations is always a plus!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I'd like to have Chuck Jones's T&J collection on blu. His 34 shorts are my absolute favorite of the T&J franchise. The artistic style, the backgrounds, the music everything about his contribution to the series was perfect.

Honestly speaking, i would have loved that they would have releases Gene Deitch's and Chuck Jones's Volumes on blu; i know that i may catch some flack for that , i don't care, it's still the theatricals, and it's also the evolution of the characters before they became watered down TV buddies. And i (IMO) think Gene's version is more of an influence on Matt Groening's Itchy & Scratchy, than any other variation of them.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Honestly speaking, i would have loved that they would have releases Gene Deitch's and Chuck Jones's Volumes on blu; i know that i may catch some flack for that , i don't care, it's still the theatricals, and it's also the evolution of the characters before they became watered down TV buddies. And i (IMO) think Gene's version is more of an influence on Matt Groening's Itchy & Scratchy, than any other variation of them.

Gene Deitch's short lived run was just too strange, I don't know how and why MGM approved any of his 13 shorts.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Gene Deitch's short lived run was just too strange, I don't know how and why MGM approved any of his 13 shorts.

funding was relativity cheep and it shows, MGM didn't want to loose the characters, there is a great extra on the DVD, where Gene go into his makeshift Iron Curtain block of animators getting model sheets, or something resembling them and maybe one cartoon to view, a small amount of funding an there you have it, Really they are the last of the great Silent Movie stars, you don't need sound or music, does it enhance it, you better believe it, but you could watch any Tom and Jerry with the sound completely off and still get the story , and it still be funny

on a side note, those are the only theatricals that at the end do not say,

Made in Hollywood U.S.A.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
funding was relativity cheep and it shows, MGM didn't want to loose the characters, there is a great extra on the DVD, where Gene go into his makeshift Iron Curtain block of animators getting model sheets, or something resembling them and maybe one cartoon to view, a small amount of funding an there you have it, Really they are the last of the great Silent Movie stars, you don't need sound or music, does it enhance it, you better believe it, but you could watch any Tom and Jerry with the sound completely off and still get the story , and it still be funny

on a side note, those are the only theatricals that at the end do not say,

Made in Hollywood U.S.A.

I know all about Gene and working on T&J in Czechoslovakia, but still if I was MGM I would hired another animator after seeing his first short that he turned in.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i think they were experimenting, agreed it's not Tom Terrific, but UPA was going minimalist, look at DePate / Freelings work on the Pink Panther, backgrounds, were only really being done by Disney at that point, different artistic aspects, i agree they creeped the hell out of me as a kid, and still find them an acquired taste to be in the mood to watch

Just as bad is what happened to Popeye during the same time frame

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
i think they were experimenting, agreed it's not Tom Terrific, but UPA was going minimalist, look at DePate / Freelings work on the Pink Panther, backgrounds, were only really being done by Disney at that point, different artistic aspects, i agree they creeped the hell out of me as a kid, and still find them an acquired taste to be in the mood to watch

Just as bad is what happened to Popeye during the same time frame

The Pink Panther shorts didn't matter what the layouts looked like, just as long as Pink looked good.

Gene's are certainly an acquired taste, I watched them when they aired on Cartoon Network in their T&J block and just looked dumbfounded as to what I was watching. I had previously seen weird animation before, but after seeing those; they took the cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks