What's new

Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 3? (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I love Looney Tunes. But 'South Park' is undeniably brilliant and I somehow find the primitive animation very pleasing.
And while I enjoy 'The Simpsons' when I occasionally see them, for me the real stars of that show are Itchy and Scratchy!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Traveling Matt said:
No, it's more because of sales on Volume 2. The LTs have long been oversaturated at mass retail, and the Platinum Collections have done little to help that.
I think I hear what your saying. I have all, and I do mean all of the cartoon collections from Warner on DVD and I just don't have the interest to upgrade to Blu. I know the DVDs are not perfect but I do enjoy them. Also Warner's does not seem to be interested in the early cartoons, which I dearly love. These Blu collections are ones I can pass on.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
It takes a big screen to really appreciate the difference between the DVDs and the blu-rays. On my projection system, the improvement is significant. On a 30 inch TV, it might not be so great.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have a BIG screen, and believe me, I can tell the difference.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: chronological character sets are probably the best way to go. One-off cartoons could be sorted by director.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
ahollis said:
I think I hear what your saying. I have all, and I do mean all of the cartoon collections from Warner on DVD and I just don't have the interest to upgrade to Blu. I know the DVDs are not perfect but I do enjoy them. Also Warner's does not seem to be interested in the early cartoons, which I dearly love. These Blu collections are ones I can pass on.
I was more interested in a more or less complete collection. I like the DVD collection because it gives at least a good overview of the entire LT experience. I have not gotten any of the Blus yet. Even though I don't like a whole lot of the early ones, I still like having them.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
MatthewA said:
I have a BIG screen, and believe me, I can tell the difference.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: chronological character sets are probably the best way to go. One-off cartoons could be sorted by director.
That could work. I think the format on the Golden Collections worked for a while, but they would eventually run out of enough quality cartoons.

Would a complete set be impractical? I don't know if WB could get support to have every Bosko and Buddy cartoon remastered. Or every post-Jones Roadrunner. Yet there's some with HD transfers already done. I would figure that if Shout! Factory can make a complete Power Rangers set viable, even at a ridiculous cost, there's a market for a complete Looney Tunes. Even if WB had to resort to standard definition on some cartoons (hopefully few made between 1936-1964).

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I would have stayed with the DVDs, if given the choice. I have a 55 in TV, and I didn't notice a significant difference.

However, I did purchase the two Platinum sets because (for now), it was the only way to get certain titles. I wish the Platinums had been complete double-dips, or completely new - that way I would have been able to choose whether to get them or not, Double-dip - probably not, completely new - probably yes. As it is, I was forced to take old to get new.

And for myself, I don't care whether they are released chronologically or not - as long as they are released. And at this point, with about half the titles released, I find it absurd that people are still asking for chronological releases. That ship has sailed. It would be a huge double-dip if they changed release strategies now.As for what has been released, there are approximately 90 from the 30s,
180 from the 40s,
190 from the 50s.
60 from the 60s

So each era has been fairly evenly represented

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
David Weicker said:
I would have stayed with the DVDs, if given the choice. I have a 55 in TV, and I didn't notice a significant difference.
On my 120 inch projection system, it's better than I've ever seen it projected from film. You don't see the difference until it gets big, then you start seeing the thicks and thins in the ink lines, brush strokes in the backgrounds and accurate color that the DVDs can't match. The thing that makes the most difference is being able to see the drawings totally clear. Here is a shot I took off my screen with my iPhone from Great Piggy Bank Robbery. And this is an iPhone photo. Astounding!

clampett04.jpg

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
David Weicker said:

However, I did purchase the two Platinum sets because (for now), it was the only way to get certain titles. I wish the Platinums had been complete double-dips, or completely new - that way I would have been able to choose whether to get them or not, Double-dip - probably not, completely new - probably yes. As it is, I was forced to take old to get new.

And for myself, I don't care whether they are released chronologically or not - as long as they are released. And at this point, with about half the titles released, I find it absurd that people are still asking for chronological releases. That ship has sailed. It would be a huge double-dip if they changed release strategies now.As for what has been released, there are approximately 90 from the 30s,
180 from the 40s,
190 from the 50s.
60 from the 60s

So each era has been fairly evenly represented
Only two volumes have been released on BD. That's 10% of the cartoons. Certainly not to late to change course. Besides, they're sailing into a dead end anyway as it appears sales are too low to justify further volumes under the current format.

DVD? Forget it, the last Golden Collection volume was released in 2008. That is the ship that has been sailed.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
David Weicker said:
And at this point, with about half the titles released, I find it absurd that people are still asking for chronological releases. That ship has sailed. It would be a huge double-dip if they changed release strategies now.
The Golden Collections actually make up about one-third of the catalog.

The whole series should be licensed out for release if Warner can't make it happen otherwise. It seems pretty clear that's the case at this point. They should be fully restored, even if without extras, and released via mail order to the fans who want them. If priced at 2/3 the cost, Timelife-style, it would cover those reluctant to double dip and can be easily done on both formats as only the first Golden Collection was scanned in SD.

And just like that, it'd be done. C'mon Warner.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
There's exactly 499 remastered cartoons available on DVD across the Golden Collections, Super Stars, and all the other miscellaneous releases (like the Oscar cartoon set). It looks like 12 cartoons across the two Blu releases are exclusive to the new Platinum line, so that leaves over 400 remastered cartoons. That doesn't take into account the two dozen cartoons available in non-remastered form on various releases (both for Looney Tunes and as extras on live action films) that may have new masters available. Such as Hippety Hopper being from an older laserdisc transfer on GC Vol. 6 (as a bonus short), but remastered on the Super Stars collection.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Patrick McCart said:
There's exactly 499 remastered cartoons available on DVD across the Golden Collections, Super Stars, and all the other miscellaneous releases (like the Oscar cartoon set). It looks like 12 cartoons across the two Blu releases are exclusive to the new Platinum line, so that leaves over 400 remastered cartoons. That doesn't take into account the two dozen cartoons available in non-remastered form on various releases (both for Looney Tunes and as extras on live action films) that may have new masters available. Such as Hippety Hopper being from an older laserdisc transfer on GC Vol. 6 (as a bonus short), but remastered on the Super Stars collection.
I'm not certain of how cartoons may be double-dipped or lack proper restoration via other DVD efforts, but only the Golden Collections have full digital restorations (as program material) released as single-dipped collector sets. The Platinums and Super Stars are not targeted to collectors and therefore weren't part of my previous post. But either way it's true there are even fewer cartoons in need of full restoration should my suggestion ever come to fruition, and that's a good thing.

Atom Jet

Auditioning
I originally bought all 6 Looney Tunes Golden Collections, but bailed the second I caught wind of the Platinum Collections. (I was fortunate enough to get $200 for all 6 box sets.) And the reason I bailed was those stupid accordian cases. Removing a disc to watch was such a miserable process (and I liked to watch them often) that I took a leap of faith and hoped the Platinum sets would eventually re-issue at least the best cartooons from those 6 box sets.
I passed on the blu-ray versions simply because those third discs of extra cartoons weren't even re-mastered. Unbelievable. Talk about abusing your core fans.And while no one but me seems to care about space, I have to say--I loved transferring my Platinum Collections Vol.1&2 into 2 slim cases, each capable of holding 2 discs. (Yes, I also trimmed the dvd paper sleeves to fit the slim cases, but it worked out perfectly and now instead of 6 clunky box sets, I have two nice, clear slimcases, which basically take up the space of one regular dvd case.) I know I'm crazy. You don't have to tell me.Anyway, like many Looney Tunes fans, I just want as many cartoons that I can get---preferably all the best ones first, with the early, semi-boring/ formative b&w cartoons, last. And if WB would just commit to a stinkin' format, I'd be onboard. Hell, I AM on board--at least for any future Platinum volumes.As for the solution? Dvd sales are probably dropping in general, but that doesn't mean WB shouldn't be re-mastering their entire Looney Tune stock. Individual cartoons offered on Netflix would be a cash cow, with zero upkeep, into perpetuity. (Wow, I spelled that right!)And while dvd options include: director editions, more Platinum volumes, or chronological character sets....I have to say that my preference is for more Platinum volumes.Chronological character-themes sets would definitely sell like hotcakes (who in their right mind wouldn't want a "Complete Bugs Bunny" box set?), but they'd be limited to only a handful of characters such as: Bugs, Daffy, Road Runner, and that's probably it. But--the same cartoons (re-mastered) could be in either format--character sets, or Platinum sets that would continue as they have been. In other words, both formats could co-exist on the market, and collectors would have their choice.And let's face it--we're ALL collectors. Kids simply aren't clamoring for Looney Tunes in today's environment---unless, of course, their collector parents got them hooked.Anyway, I hope someone from WB reads these damn threads and considers our input.And again, I just want more Platinum Collections, with approximately 60 to 70% of Golden Collection double-dipping, and the rest "new" stuff from the peak of Looney Tunes. Chuck Jones and Clampett, in particular--just keep them coming. Is that asking too much?And WB--stop being so cheap and profit-minded. At least in the short term. You're a big company, everyone knows your name, as well as the Looney Tunes characters. At least they do for now. Who knows how easily they can be erased from the public's consciousness? It's a slow, insidious process, but believe me--not every kid knows the name Foghorn Leghorn. Anyway, it behooves you to keep these cartoons in the public eye, no matter what your profits from last month's dvd sales.And like I said--a Complete Bugs Bunny (or Daffy) box set (as well as Netflix offering) is a by-product defintiely worth working towards.And finally, since this in my very FIRST posting ever on Home Theater Forum--a big, heartfelt THANK YOU to both Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck for their years of outstanding support, dedication, and contributions to the field of classic animation!Now someone please tell me...where's that ol' Platinum Collection Volume 3??

Now, here I am--waiting forever for volume 3 that may never even come out. *sigh*

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Atom Jet said:
I originally bought all 6 Looney Tunes Golden Collections, but bailed the second I caught wind of the Platinum Collections. (I was fortunate enough to get $200 for all 6 box sets.) And the reason I bailed was those stupid accordian cases. Removing a disc to watch was such a miserable process (and I liked to watch them often) that I took a leap of faith and hoped the Platinum sets would eventually re-issue at least the best cartooons from those 6 box sets.
I passed on the blu-ray versions simply because those third discs of extra cartoons weren't even re-mastered. Unbelievable. Talk about abusing your core fans.And while no one but me seems to care about space, I have to say--I loved transferring my Platinum Collections Vol.1&2 into 2 slim cases, each capable of holding 2 discs. (Yes, I also trimmed the dvd paper sleeves to fit the slim cases, but it worked out perfectly and now instead of 6 clunky box sets, I have two nice, clear slimcases, which basically take up the space of one regular dvd case.) I know I'm crazy. You don't have to tell me.Anyway, like many Looney Tunes fans, I just want as many cartoons that I can get---preferably all the best ones first, with the early, semi-boring/ formative b&w cartoons, last. And if WB would just commit to a stinkin' format, I'd be onboard. Hell, I AM on board--at least for any future Platinum volumes.As for the solution? Dvd sales are probably dropping in general, but that doesn't mean WB shouldn't be re-mastering their entire Looney Tune stock. Individual cartoons offered on Netflix would be a cash cow, with zero upkeep, into perpetuity. (Wow, I spelled that right!)And while dvd options include: director editions, more Platinum volumes, or chronological character sets....I have to say that my preference is for more Platinum volumes.Chronological character-themes sets would definitely sell like hotcakes (who in their right mind wouldn't want a "Complete Bugs Bunny" box set?), but they'd be limited to only a handful of characters such as: Bugs, Daffy, Road Runner, and that's probably it. But--the same cartoons (re-mastered) could be in either format--character sets, or Platinum sets that would continue as they have been. In other words, both formats could co-exist on the market, and collectors would have their choice.And let's face it--we're ALL collectors. Kids simply aren't clamoring for Looney Tunes in today's environment---unless, of course, their collector parents got them hooked.Anyway, I hope someone from WB reads these damn threads and considers our input.And again, I just want more Platinum Collections, with approximately 60 to 70% of Golden Collection double-dipping, and the rest "new" stuff from the peak of Looney Tunes. Chuck Jones and Clampett, in particular--just keep them coming. Is that asking too much?And WB--stop being so cheap and profit-minded. At least in the short term. You're a big company, everyone knows your name, as well as the Looney Tunes characters. At least they do for now. Who knows how easily they can be erased from the public's consciousness? It's a slow, insidious process, but believe me--not every kid knows the name Foghorn Leghorn. Anyway, it behooves you to keep these cartoons in the public eye, no matter what your profits from last month's dvd sales.And like I said--a Complete Bugs Bunny (or Daffy) box set (as well as Netflix offering) is a by-product defintiely worth working towards.And finally, since this in my very FIRST posting ever on Home Theater Forum--a big, heartfelt THANK YOU to both Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck for their years of outstanding support, dedication, and contributions to the field of classic animation!Now someone please tell me...where's that ol' Platinum Collection Volume 3??

Now, here I am--waiting forever for volume 3 that may never even come out. *sigh*
That is a very nice and well thought out post for your first in our forum. Welcome to the HTF!

I agree with you and I hope that someone at the studio is listening, since they are not serving their fans with the way they have been releasing these shorts.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The reason the sets aren't selling is because they have been targeted at a niche market- collectors. If they were smart, they'd stop doing expensive sets with lots of disks and extras, and focus instead on rolling the library through lots of well programmed compilation disks aimed at low price sell through to regular people with kids. The audience for this is families, not nerds.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
bigshot said:
The reason the sets aren't selling is because they have been targeted at a niche market- collectors. If they were smart, they'd stop doing expensive sets with lots of disks and extras, and focus instead on rolling the library through lots of well programmed compilation disks aimed at low price sell through to regular people with kids. The audience for this is families, not nerds.
As most of the extras seem ported over from the DVD sets, I'm not sure if that would save any money, but if so, fine. Other than the extras that might accompany any of their censored cartoons, I am happy with no more extras if it can get what you suggest.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
remember when the Golden Collections were coming out and Warner's said they were committed to releasing all the cartoons and that if we wanted to see them released then we would have to make sure we bought them and supported the releases and that the numbers were good enough to support the project. Remember when they were saying that in chats and stuff and it was being reported on other sites?

Yeah, I don't think they remember it either....

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Russell G said:
remember when the Golden Collections were coming out and Warner's said they were committed to releasing all the cartoons and that if we wanted to see them released then we would have to make sure we bought them and supported the releases and that the numbers were good enough to support the project. Remember when they were saying that in chats and stuff and it was being reported on other sites?

Yeah, I don't think they remember it either....
Things changed since then. The Warner Archive happened. The deal with Paramount happened. I'm sure some of the personnel got shifted around. Even the usually reliable George Feltenstein has been rather quiet of late.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
bigshot said:
Why not both? Have a lower print run of collector oriented releases, then target the cheap reruns to Walmart customers. Sort of like how Universal released a bunch of bare-bones versions of films like Brazil and The Shadow, then collector-oriented versions were created by Criterion and Shout! Factory. For that matter, it wouldn't be a bad idea if Warner continued with more cheap Super Stars styled Blu releases (or even DVD-only) while letting Shout! or Criterion handle the collector releases. When Warner releases animation, it's good for enthusiasts, but licensing out would allow for more buzz. Even the most minor of works get a boost from having a specialty label handle the release.

ThadK

Second Unit
rmw650 said:
I heard Volume 3 of the Platinum Collection is still coming out this year but no specific date has been rendered as of yet and I think Jerry Beck mentioned this would be the last of the Platinum volume series. I still don't get why they're releasing all of the ones already out but in so many different versions. Just too many repeats right now. Spotlight Volume 8 is a perfect example of this.
There are repeats because that's stock ready to go and there is no real money for the restorations any longer. Except for the post-'48 cartoons on the first Golden Collection and the Tweety and Road Runner cartoons on Vol. 2, all of the WB cartoons on those sets were remastered in HD. So some 300 cartoons are already good to go, as-is, for Blu-Ray.

As a result, there's only about 9 or 10 cartoons per Blu-Ray set that weren't on the DVD sets. Getting High-Def copies of restorations they already have isn't enticing enough for a lot of the long-time collectors, so it's a lose-lose situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks