What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 6--This Is The End (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I think even a casual fan of Looney Tunes would get excited to see something called "The Complete Looney Tunes - 1947-48" on the shelf next to something called "The Complete Looney Tunes - 1955-56." He'd say, "Wow, fantastic, they're releasing ALL the Looney Tunes! I gotta get this!"

At least, you think he would. Sony is doing it now with The Three Stooges, and there's lots of double-dipping going on there, and as far as I know, it's successful (keeping my fingers crossed that it continues).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

They did it with the SCTV DVD sets, starting on the more popular NBC 90 minute shows instead of the actual 30 minute Canadian ones. Looks like the series died sadly, but SCTV isn't even in the same league of awareness compared to Looney Toons.

Isn't WArners on record with saying that the series will continuewith no double dipping?

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Well in the case of the Three Stooges, all the shorts are remastered, and besides weren't all the previous release very sub-par, and not every short was released. This is what the fans were holding out for, a complete set that covered everything, not just compilations. True, WB should have possibly gone the year route w/LT, but they didn't, and it would be stupid to go back and start over now. I'm betting in a few years when they decide to release the series on blu-ray, they will go the year route.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
The non-chron Stooges collections were a complete mess. They were overpriced. They kept cutting back on the number of 2-reelers per disc. They seemed more obsessed with colorizing them. Even though they were bouncing between Curly and Shemp shorts, they never included any Joe Besser. The transfer quality was all over the place. There was a passion and joy behind the LTCG volumes. The first 2 dozen Stooges collections were merely dumps.

The biggest drawback for Looney Tunes at this moment is their lack of on air exposure. How many years has it been since they were yanked off Cartoon Network? And they haven't been on Boomerang in a few years. There's no renewing the audience base. With the launch of each volume, there should have been a special on Cartoon Network showing off a few of the prime cartoons from each collection. Why didn't they make a faux infomercial and use a little corporate synergy? Warners doesn't mind hyping a classic boxset release via TCM. Actually because of the adult nature of certain cartoons, they should doing more with TCM for each volume.

rampagingsloth

Auditioning
Real Name
Alfred
Wow, I hadn't even considered that but you're right, there's no consistent Looney Tunes themed show on TV to showcase newly restored and released cartoons to tie in to the box sets. That couldn't do anything but help. As much as I love "Family Guy" and "South Park" I would rather see classic theatrical cartoons on TV. I'm sure, though, that I'm in the minority on that score. Even with WB cartoons on 24/7 you'd hear more people quoting Peter Griffin and Cartman than Bugs Bunny. New flavor.

What is to stop WB from distributing newly restored cartoons out to movie theaters to go with current movies (I mean besides laziness or a lack of imagination)? And not family movies, dammit, I mean in front of a Bond movie or Batman movie or something. Nothing fancy, just here's a WB cartoon that finally got restored, it's available in stores now, enjoy. I'm certain people would rather see that than sit through more of those worthless trivia game loops or commercials. They would be 6 minute commercials for Looney Tunes DVD sets. Hell, Disney should do that, too. You start bombarding theaters with restored cartoons, you'd get people used to the idea of wanting to see them.

I actually paid money for some idiotic Disney movie years ago just so I could see a then-new Roger Rabbit cartoon, "Trail Mix-Up" (I left after the cartoon was over). Talk about a missed opportunity to revive theatrical animation, if those Roger Rabbit cartoons didn't cost $2 million dollars each to make we could be buying Maroon Cartoon DVD sets right now (in the movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" there's a scene in the studio head's office that has a bunch of Maroon Cartoon posters on the walls showing other characters). Idiots.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Sorry about the thread resurrection but I just bought this set today. I was lazy and read only so much of the thread so maybe I missed it, but when David Lambert says that WB won't double dip on "Golden Collection" content, does this mean the bonus cartoons that haven't been restored or just the restored ones. It would really suck if it was ALL content.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
It's apparent we all have our favorite WB characters, but I was surprized to find that Elmer Fudd was only mentioned once..."Something veewy skwewy awound here."
One of my favorites not mentioned, is the Three Bears characters that featured Junyer Bear...who reminds me alot of Baby Huey.
The other day I saw a Junyer Bear cartoon entitled "Whats Brewin Bruin" on YouTube. Damn near fell off my chair laughing...still funny all these years later.

rampagingsloth

Auditioning
Real Name
Alfred
Well, Elmer never really had his own cartoons, he existed to be Bugs Bunny's straight man. An Elmer cartoon is really a Bugs Bunny cartoon (or Daffy cartoon) so it's not worth demanding a separate disk for him.

Ya, I love the Three Bears, I wish they'd made more of those. Papa Bear was basically Yosemite Sam in terms of temper and height. I love how he'd lose his cool so quick and hit/punch Junyer but the shot wouldn't even hurt him, it was more the fact that he'd disappointed his father. Great cartoons.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

Thank you so much for the recommendation (i.e. What's Brewin' Bruin). I watched it at lunch on YouTube here at work and just had to close my door. I was in stitches. The situations especially with the dripping water were pure genius. Great stuff, thanks.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Joe,

Glad you enjoyed it.
Although I laughed throughout the entire cartoon, I especially liked the ending where Spring started arriving with all its associated sounds and Papa Bear sticks his head out the window and yells, "QUIET !!!"

Like stated. i will be fine if they continue it under a different title. hopefully not spotlight collections for the rest. i still havent seen all of those i grew up with. especially marvin the martian. foghorn leghorn. and road runner. we buy these dvds because these cartoons are traditional to us. lets keep it true to warner and true to the fans

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Warner, in my opinion, really should consider another Golden Collection. There are so many other excellent cartoons that have not been on DVD yet, but here Warner Bros. is releasing Spotlight Collection 7 which contains nothing but Golden Collection repeats.

Nothing to date has come close to the quality of the Golden Collection sets, and right now it looks like nothing ever will. I would really hate to get double dipped by Warner, i.e., having to purchase a future set that contains many cartoons that appeared on the Golden Collection along with cartoons that are new to DVD.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
That was the whole point of doing those sets that way. To give more equal exposure to the popular characters as well as the lesser-known shorts which are often just as good and deserve to be seen by a wide audience. The very idea that some people "don't care" about the other toons is exactly why it was done the way it was done. If they had released character sets then it's only the most popular ones that would have sold, thereby making it unlikely that the other shorts would have continued to be released.

I'm amazed at how some people claim to be "fans" but are only interested in the same toons they've seen over and over and over. This might surprise a lot of people, but Looney Tunes is comprised of a LOT more than just Bugs & Daffy. Try turning them off for just a second and watching some of the hundreds of others that are wonderful but don't have the benefit of being well-known or having a famous character at their center.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Warner screwed this up from the beginning.

What people seem to want -- I know I do -- are complete sets, in chronological order.

That's what TV on DVD is, for the most part. That's what we got with Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, Donald Duck, etc. That's how The Three Stooges and The Little Rascals have been released.

It would be difficult for me to imagine that The Complete Looney Tunes-Merrie Melodies wouldn't have been successful. They didn't have to start in 1930, with Bosko. They could have started with 1938-39, 1940-41, etc. Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig could have been prominently featured on the covers. Every set would have lots of popular characters, lots of lesser-known cartoons -- everything! They could have even thrown that "Adults Only" disclaimer on there and given us the allegedly racist ones, too.

But, no. Owning all of the most popular cartoon series in history, which could have been so easy and straightforward, will remain just an unrealized dream.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Warner screwed this up from the beginning.

What people seem to want -- I know I do -- are complete sets, in chronological order.

That's what TV on DVD is, for the most part. That's what we got with Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, Donald Duck, etc. That's how The Three Stooges and The Little Rascals have been released.

It would be difficult for me to imagine that The Complete Looney Tunes-Merrie Melodies wouldn't have been successful. They didn't have to start in 1930, with Bosko. They could have started with 1938-39, 1940-41, etc. Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig could have been prominently featured on the covers.

And there is the flaw in releasing “Chronological Looney Tunes”…

People complained about the space devoted to Bosko in Golden Collection Volume Six, so why would they buy a “first set” that would have been dominated by him? And, if they didn’t start that way, it wouldn’t BE a “Chronological” set.

Also, I doubt too many folks would be around for the Daffy/Speedy, Cool Cat, and Merlin the Magic Mouse laden sets near the end.

The reason that “Chronological” works for Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, Donald Duck, and The Three Stooges (all of which I have and enjoy) is that they are JUST Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, Donald Duck, and The Three Stooges… and not ALL Fleischer, Lantz, Disney, and Columbia Short Subjects as a whole. In other words, “Chronological” is good, IF it’s tightly focused on exactly what you want – and not so good if it encompasses what you don’t.

If there were Chronological Bugs, Daffy, and Porky sets, THAT would be more akin to the other sets mentioned… but we would also have missed out on a lot of other great stuff.

Warner was in a no-win situation on how to package Looney Tunes and I think they did it well – but, if they had it all to do over again, this is how they should have done it.

Two discs per set… Chronological within each disc… with a “less popular year” and a “more popular year” packaged together. This is to say 1930-1931 with 1948, or 1952 with 1966.

Several years worth of this type of releases would give everyone what they want – a “Chronological” packaging of popular toons and lesser toons… and we’d all keep coming back for more!

Too bad this couldn’t be accomplished now without massive double dipping… and that would make many of us who bought those expensive Golden Collection sets very unhappy!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
How about a chronological Road Runner? There aren't that many RR shorts in the Golden Collections.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Disc Two of Volume Two has the eleven Road Runner cartoons subsequent to his debut appearance in "Fast and Furry-ous" (which was included on Volume One) presented in chronological order.

Originally Posted by Sam Favate

How about a chronological Road Runner? There aren't that many RR shorts in the Golden Collections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks