What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 5 (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I thought i was in the wrong thread. Missed how it all got started. Course i dont care enough to go back and find out.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Good idea. But hey, I didn't bring her up.

I think it all began by talking about some of Warner's more "controversial" cartoons.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The idea that I need to hear from Whoopi "I'm above reproach" Goldberg or for that matter any other spokesperson (offensive or not) each and every time I play 2 or 3 cartoons is stupid.

The disclaimer needs to put in print on the packinging. And that's it.

What if songs & books came with audible disclaimers? Yuch.

Maybe Warners should just leave all the controversial cartoons completely out of the Golden Collections and just release 1 big "Controversial & Offensive Collection" and simply market it differently.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have the first 2 sets, and love them. But, when Whoopie came on to tell me how i should understand what i am watching...well...i stopped buying. I wouldnt have even wanted Leonard Maltin. I just want the toons!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Really Rick? that was the breaking point? Poor Whoopie.

Personally, I have NEVER liked Whoopie. In anything. but man, I love these cartoons! I consider Whoopie and Maltin (Maltin is worse, he always comes off like he's yelling) a small pain in the ass if I get to own the toons.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

You don't have to stop buying. Whoopi Goldberg isn't on volume 4 and probably won't be on future volumes. Instead they just have a brief, skippable card saying that some cartoons in this set may contain racial stereotypes.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Thanks, i think a friend told me she was on all the sets after 2? I dont mind going 1,2, and 4 with sets. :)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Let's see, we wait a year at a time for new sets of these classic cartoons and people aren't buying them because of the intros ? Some of you are just looking for an excuse to gripe about something.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Yes, it's absurd to skip owning the cartoons just because of an introduction! For what it's worth, though, I hate that type of preaching, too.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought the message on the Volume 4 discs about racial stereotypes was sufficient. It was effective and classy. It's minimalism was a nice touch, and Warner made their (very appropriate IMO) point.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Hee's another angle to the WB cartoons on DVD process. 30 Tweety/Sylvester cartoons were released to DVD in Japan in 2000-2001. I have those discs and gave one of them a spin tonight. The cartoons on those all look as gorgeous as all of the cartoons on the GCs. Why, therefore, is Warner necessarily restricted to collections of 60 cartoons annually when 60 newly remastered cartoons plus some of these Tweety/Sylvester cartoons could up the number of cartoons in each collection to above 60?

I should mention that of the Tweety/Sylvester cartoons not on the Japanese discs, only 2 have been released on the GCs- "Tweetie Pie" and Birds Anonymous".

Greg_M

Screenwriter

I forget, but I think this one contains Polictically incorrect references to the Japanese who we were at war with at the time (kill the Japs etc...). Plus the candy box is a black reference but I can't remember what, plus snow white is really coal black and quite sexy. It's really for adults but I can see why they want to keep it away from children.

JeffSchiller

Agent

Hm, that's interesting - I heard that WB released that Tweety-focused disc in LTGCv2 because they were going to be released in Japan. But I agree, WB probably shaved some pennies by "re-using" the effort taken to restore the Tweety cartoons in the LTGC.

Basically I think the "60-cartoons-per-year" maximum is just WB marketing hooey.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Well, the restoration team IS restoring more than 60 per year (just not much more). 65-75 is probably the maximum the team as it currently exists can handle. However, if WHV felt that they want to release more than one set of 60 per year, they could easily add additional members or create a second restoration team. They just don't want to do that...

Of course, they are hardly the enemy for restricting the flow. Their goal is almost the same as ours. Better sales means more profit for WHV and more sets for us. I'd like to get these sets faster, but I'll take them slowly if it means a better chance of getting them all.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

Say, out of curiosity, would this guy's handle name happen to be the same as a Biblical sea monster and a Thomas Hobbes book?

But really, Clampett is hardly unassailable (His B/W shorts from roughly 1940-41 are generally considered to be dogs), and Friz has actually regained some popularity due to his detractors (and the backlash those detractors have gotten as of late)

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

I would argue (and have argued) that Clampett is indeed assailable. I don't like his interpretation of Bugs Bunny, I think his Tweety is hideous, the fat, bawling Elmer Fudd of Clampett (and others) does nothing for me, the look of the characters in Clampett's cartoons generally turns me off even though his animation can be outstanding, I don't like the hunting cartoons of the '40s (they're so bland) which Clampett was still doing while the other directors were making more of the Bugs concept, I don't like the distortions and out-of-proportion character action of Clampett, I don't favor the emphasis on ethno-racial stereotypes as basis for humor in many of Clampett's cartoons (and that includes Coal Black), and I don't approve Clampett's (and his fans') claims to his supreme influence over the studio, pre- and post-1948.

As for the Friz Freleng detractors, I'd be interested in seeing some of the backlash against them. All I seem to see on the Internet is the cult of John K..

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone remember the one - pretty sure it's a Foghorn Leghorn - where the dog does something wrong and Foggy punishes him with a spin of the wheel. The line that sticks in my head was "23?!? No! Not Happy Birthday!!!" moments before Foggy stuffs a birthday cake with a hand grenade in his mouth.

Or something like that. Is that one ringing any bells for someone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks