What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 5 (1 Viewer)

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
What i've read about this 10 Volumes business is that they have the first ten GC's "planned out". That doesn't mean that they will stop once they reach the tenth set. It just means that they have a tentative plan of what shorts will appear on the first 10 volumes. As long as sales are good, there is no reason to stop at Volume 10.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This has got to be one of the craziest arguments that I've seen during my membership on this forum.

Kevin,

I'm not sure how old you are, or where you grew up, but from your posts we sound like we're of a similar age. I'm 35, and grew up watching Looney Tunes on TV (Primarily through the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show). I find it quite shocking that more post '48 toons were shown on this show, but you are probably right. If that is the truth, then I have to say that most of those cartoons did not stick with me. Obviously they did for you, and that's great FOR YOU. Not everybody your age that grew up seeing these on TV is as obsessed over the later period cartoons.

I'm not sure what all the arguing is about. Are you really that worried about he reputation of the cartoons that you so dearly love. As far as I'm concerned, they are getting equal treatment on these sets. I do have to admit that after re-watching many of these cartoons, that the early 40s cartoons hold up much better (IMHO). A lot of the later cartoons were either direct re-makes or rehashes of the same concept.

Nonetheless, I broke down all five sets in to a spreadsheet and here are my findings.

Total Cartoons - 310

1930-1947 - 138
1948 - 15
1949-1967 - 157

I'm not sure where the dividing line takes place, but either way you are still ahead. What is all the fuss over?

Directors:
Avery - 13 (+1 partial credit)
Clampett - 40 (+1 partial credit)
Freleng - 79 (+2 partial credits)
Jones - 91 (+2 partial credits)
McKimson - 40
Tashlin - 29
Misc - 15

Once again, your beloved Jones & Freleng cartoons represent more than 50% of the total released so far. Avery, Clampett, McKimson, & Tashlin equal a total of 140 while Jones & Freleng get 170. Once again, what is all the fuss about?

In my opinion, you seem to be more upset about your opinion of the cartoons being higher than the animation historians. If that's your beef, I don't think that truly belongs here. It's interesting to read, but has no direct impact on these DVD releases. If you're so upset, go out and write a book about the later period toons and trump them up. That is most likely the exact reason that the earlier cartoons currently have a higher status.

Just my 2 cents.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

It's worth noting that there's 529 pre-1948 cartoons and 471 post-1948 cartoons. I think it's only 400 once you take out the post-1964 cartoons, with about 450 pre-1948 if you take out most pre-1935.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I just hope they do the WWII ones that were on the Bugs and Daffy Wartime cartoons VHS soon. That one would probably need a preface by the UN.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

I just wish the historians that be, were more appreciative of the body of work that formed the entirety of the network television packages. There has been one book written that was very compilmentary- Steve Schneider's That's All Folks!, a book that, when I bought it in 1994, contributed to my then belief that the cartoons that Warner chose to retain in its library were the ultimate creations of the studio. We hear very little of Mr. Schneider's work these days. I don't fancy myself a cartoon historian, but I have written about the appearances of the cartoons on TV (and all of that work is available on the 'Net) because I thought it would be of value not just to myself. Haven't gotten around to publishing a book because of 1) a major writer's block in recent years; 2) lack of publishing houses in my area who could go ahead with a project on a copyrighted subject; and 3) doubt about the potential receptive readership of such a book.

But for now, I propose to cease further comment, return as always to my isolation, buy the DVDs, watch what's there, wince at the put-downs, pine for the many, many cartoons not yet released (and which were released very early to other formats), wonder if they ever will be, and carry on- with the humanity I still get from my youth in which these cartoons and other expressive entertainments once upon a time bonded me with friends, and fight as always against the cynicism and the negativity that comes of being perpetual outsider in the online community.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Kevin,

I apologize if you took any of my comments in a personal manner. Perhaps, I chose some wrong words, but they were not intended to be derogatory. My intent was simply to get some clarification on the points being contested. I deeply appreciate your love of animation, and you are very knowledgeable. Most people still talk about cartoons as kiddie fodder and if you dare to state that you are a fan, you suddenly become inferior to them, which is something that I cannot stand. So in many ways, we are in the same boat.

My comments came purely from the point that you seemed to be repeatedly arguing that there were not enough post 1948 cartoons being released, but all of the numbers prove you wrong.

Your other point of contention seems to be based on predicting what will be in future sets. The key word here being predicting. Why get hot and bothered about predictions? Especially, when according to Jerry Beck all of the first 10 volumes are already outlined.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I in no way was trying to tell you to shut up or keep to yourself, I was simply hoping for you to clarify your point, because I could not understand it. Even now, I'm struggling to grasp it.

Personally, I don't hold a strong affinity for any particular era of these cartoons, but do have a stronger leaning towards the earlier material. That said, I have had nothing to complain about on any of the releases thus far .... and yes they have not included many of my personal favorites so far.

Anyway, I wish you luck with any future endeavors and hope that you follow through with your writing. I am also working on some writings and have many of the same doubts that you are having, in particular as to whether an audience exists.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I picked up my set last night and I watched the shorts on the first 2 discs. There were, again, some of my favorites on there. I think I'm getting close to having all of my personal favorite Bugs shorts. There are still some that I don't have, but I'm getting closer.

Also, there are a few more Daffy shorts that I'm waiting for.

I hope on the next set there is more of a spot light on Taz, Marvin the Martian, Peppy, Foghorn, and the Gophers. There are only a few more Gophers, Marvin and Taz cartoons left to release. I'd like to see the last few Road Runner get released on the next set as well.

I think it's just about time to drag out the Sylvester, Sylvester Jr. and Hippety-Hopper shorts as well.

Something tells me that the first 10 volumes are going to be the best ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks