What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 3 (1 Viewer)

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

The features all have quite a bit of new animation as well as being structured around sequences from the classic theatrical shorts. They aren't the best means of seeing this material as you are seeing extracts from short films that were meant to be seen one at a time as part of a cinema supporting programme, not in bulk at feature length. That said, I think this is worth buying for Chuck Jones's Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie, which is an entertaining, well-made feature with some decent new animation. The other LT features are for completists only IMO.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Yes, but to varying degree. The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie was just Bugs lounging around his palatial estate, introducing a random selection of 'toons, whereas Daffy Duck's Quackbusters took a bunch of shorts about ghosts and monsters and linked them into something resembling a story. Still, the connecting material isn't really enough to justify buying the films unless you're a completist.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

For the last time, this thread is staying right here and this is not a debatable issue. Please, move on to other issues involving this dvd release.

Crawdaddy

Kevin/M

Agent
From MY Count, Out of the 60 Cartoons on this set, 10 of them were reissued with Blue Ribbon Titles (The orignal Titles and Credits for these Cartoons were rpelaced with generic red ones)

Speakin of the Weather(1937)
Thugs With Dirty Mugs (1939)
Goofy Groceries (1941)
Swooner Crooner (1945)
Pigs is Pigs (1937)
Pigs in a Polka (1943)
Daffy Duck and Egghead (1938)
An Itch in Time (1943)
Odor-able Kitty (1945)
Walky Talky Hawky (1946)

Who wants to specualte which ones will have their Original opening Titles restored?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Sorry Crawdaddy, I didn't mean to upset you. I don't browse the TV section very often, and in the past the Looney Tunes thread has always been in the movies section, and they've also been moved in the past. I was simply making an observation.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I've heard that the opening titles to Daffy Duck and Egghead, Pigs in a Polka, and maybe An Itch in Time exist. A private collector recently found frames from Thugs with Dirty Mugs, but that may not be enough to actually restore. WB seems to be interested in reconstructions only if they can take real footage instead of just still frames.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
The problem with having just a still frame is that you still don't have the music that went along with it. Plus, sometimes there are two or three cards to an original opening, not just one.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Probably because it leaves us with only four other theatrical features to go, and those just so happent to be...

The Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie

Bugs Bunny Superstar

Daffy Duck's Fanstastic Island

and Daffy Duck's Quackbusters

So you could see how the remaining 4 could now be conveniently paired...

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

That definitely makes plenty of sense. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I just hope that we can be left with the assumption that there will be a 2nd and 3rd movie collection in the future.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, one perk of having the compilation films as the "2-disc" set instead of a bare-bones half of the GC is that both are good buys.

If I can get the movie collection for cheap, I may end up getting both sets. You have no reason to do the same for the GC and Spotlite sets.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

I seem to recall this film is owned by MGM/UA. As WB own the cartoons featured in it, there's probably a stalemate as to whether this can ever be released to DVD. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Don't have any of the wartime looney tunes, but FYI there is the DVD of Private Snafu shorts that was made for the miltary. You can buy those from Bosko.

Kevin/M

Agent
I saw the List, and Apparently Philbert and Sinkin' in the Bathtub will be Included. Cool.

From what i've gathered, The WB Cartoons made between 1935 and Early 1941 Have one card for the Titles and Credits, Cartoons Made between Mid-1941 to 1945-ish have two Cards (One for the Titles and One for the Credits) and ones after that have three cards (One for the titles, one for the Director's credit, and another for the other credits.)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Bah! Too much Porky, not enough Road Runner!

(and yes, I know that they're looking for balance in the sets, and I know I got a disc full of 'em last time, and yes I'll still buy the set on release day and watch them all in one sitting - but it doesnt stop me from kevetching!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks