What's new

Looney Toons on DVD...NOT! Please Sign Petition Link Here! (1 Viewer)

Jim Long

Grip
Beep beep... if Warner doesn't want my dollars then I'm sure Di$ney will. I will stick with the cheapo LDs that I have, and the production art.
Jim

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm confused by this. I remember hearing somewhere that these cartoons were already in the re-mastering process and would eventually be released. Has some idiot at WB changed their mind? I for one would love to have these cartoons on DVD and would gladly pay a premium to have them re-mastered. NO GREATEST COLLECTIONS!!!! I want complete sets and have no use for 5.1 re-mixed audio, the original mono tracks will do nicely. I have had several opportunities to buy the LD collections and have passed on these due to the immiment DVD release. It looks like I screwed up big time.
Is Warner trying to piss us off intentionally. It has been one screw up after another from this company (Except for Kane).
I will be signing the petition shortly.
[Edited last by Eric Peterson on October 12, 2001 at 07:46 AM]

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Probably the same idiot who nixed the anamorphic widescreen transfer of Willie Wonka, even though it had already been prepared. WB apparently has waaaaaay too much money. We should help them out by not giving them any more.
angry.gif

Oh, and they screwed up Kane too, don't forget. The little thing about digitally erasing the rain and then lying through their teeth about it, saying "oh, it was too fine a detail for NTSC to pick up." Yeah, and why exactly is it that I can see the rain on my lower-resolution NTSC VHS and on NTSC cable?
furious.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
[Edited last by Mark Zimmer on October 12, 2001 at 09:29 AM]

Gui A

Supporting Actor
From Tonight's Chat:
[GuiA] Hey Warner, Thanks for coming tonight. My question is about Golden Age of Looney Tunes: I heard that there was no demand. Could you please elaborate? There is a petition on the forum. Thanks. DONE.
[Warner] There is great demand. There are Marketing Issues, Transfer Cost Factors and a whole hullabaloo of things to be considered...but believe us when we say that the DVD debut of Looney Tunes is an ongoing concern of WHV and indeed a passion among a few staffers. Be patient. DONE
[Edited last by Gui A on October 16, 2001 at 09:57 PM]

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator
I just signed!!!!!!!!!!!!everyone else should. I would love to see these once again uncensored. I grew up watching these cartoons in the late sixties/early seventies uncensored..and I am almost normal......but what is normal, no one is truely normal!!!!! It sucks that WB is not putting these great cartoons on dvd......chuck jones is rolling over in his grave, people not seeing the original cartoons in their uncensored form. It is a shame that they have to censore cartoons to be politically correct. You will never see coal black, although there is a couple of websites that you can view it on. The people who created this film did not make it out of hate, but to poke fun at disney! WAKE UP WARNER BROS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Mikey....
Chuck Jones isn't rolling over in his grave....
He's very much alive, thank God, and so are Warner's plans to get LOONEY TUNES out on DVD. Just read the Warner HTF chat transript. They're facing a myriad of issues, so they can do 'em right.
And just how do we find these coal black websites?

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Just read the news that Chuck Jones has passed away at the age of 89.
One of the great ways to honour him and his work is to Warner Bros. release his cartoons on dvd. I only hope that Warner Bros. has had the opportunity to get Mr. Jones's insight on his work.
You will be missed. :frowning:

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Shortly after Stanley Kubrick died, Warner Bros rushed a half assed boxed set of all of his films. They re-released most of them with new transfers a year (or two) later.

I wonder if they'll try to take advantage of Chuck Jones' death too.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Upon hearing of the passing of Chuck Jones I went to my collection of Bugs Bunny on LD. I had a real desire to see "Whats Opera Doc" after just spending 14 hours watching Wagner's "Ring". Alas, it does not appear on the discs I have. DAMN!:angry:
On my wall is a signed cell by Fritz Freeling rom "Rhapsody Rabbit". Don't have that one either.
Come on, release them. This is one occasion that I'll be very happy to double dip.
I shall sign the petition.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I suppose we all have our storie of
watching Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies
cartoons as kids.
Yep. I want them. I want them done right.
I was just over www.thedigitalbits.com
and they mentioned Chuck Jones's passing.
One hopes this inspires Warner Bros to get
going on the DVDs, but not botch them.
As a side note, does anyone have some good
WB Cartoon specific sites they can refer me to
that show the restorations that are needed or
are going on. I remember seeing one briefly a while
back, and now I am kicking myself for not saving the
URL.
(and I signed this petition, quite a while ago...)
:)
Mark

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Shortly after Stanley Kubrick died, Warner Bros rushed a half assed boxed set of all of his films. They re-released most of them with new transfers a year (or two) later.

I wonder if they'll try to take advantage of Chuck Jones' death too.
I'll give WB enough benefit of the doubt to believe that the lame Kubrick DVDs were released to coincide with their marketing campaign for Eyes Wide Shut. The fact that Kubrick was unavailable to say yea or nay was unfortunate.

Regards,

George Fogel

Agent
Sometime in the 1980's I had the great pleasure to attend a lecture given by Chuck Jones at the AFI's Kennedy Center theater. He alternated his talk with showings of (what were described to us as) archival prints of some half-dozen or so WB cartoons. Definitely a magical day. If a DVD can come close to capturing those lush colors and sharp images I will be a happy camper.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
On a related note:
PBS is airing
Chuck Jones: In Between The Lines
on television tonight (Friday, March 1)
at 10:30pm PST.
This is at least true for Oregon Public Broadcasting.
(PBS's local channel.)
This is for "Great Performances."
Based on my Direct TV set up, this is
a recent change, (it is not listed)
but no doubt it is added due to Jones's passing.
Check your local PBS station for details,
or check at www.pbs.org
Mark

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm gonna resurrect a 3-month-long-dead thread here with this bit o' news from a WB press release today (it's actually just a "flash", not a full release...this is the ENTIRE text of it that I saw):
Warner Bros.’ antic band of animated entertainers, the Looney Tunes, will star alongside Brendan Fraser in Warner Bros. Pictures’ "Looney Tunes: Back in Action." The comic-adventure is set in a live-action world where animated and "real" characters interact. The studio is also producing a series of animated theatrical shorts starring the Looney Tunes that will share the marquee with other Warner Bros. Pictures releases.
Perhaps this will mean that our long wait for DVD's will come to an end. After all, if the characters are popular enough to create NEW films and shorts, then perhaps they will accelearate the process of restoring and releasing the original stuff that made them popular!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DigBits sez:

"We do have word that Warner is releasing Extremes and In Betweens: Chuck Jones - A Life in Animation on 10/22/02 (and for those of you waiting for classic Looney Tunes on DVD, the studio IS working to restore the shorts for eventual DVD release)."

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
While Extremes and In-Betweens will be a nice DVD
in honor of Mr. Jones, is this all we're going to get
this year despite the rumblings I'd read (can't recall if
it was here or at the ToonZone message boards) of something
big coming (I seem to recall Jerry Beck mentioning this,
something along the lines of good news this year to be followed by even better news next year)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks