What's new

Looney Toons on DVD...NOT! Please Sign Petition Link Here! (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
According to Dark Horizons Warner says there are no plans to release Looney Tonns on DVD as there is no demand.
Where the hell are they getting that? First Rob says several major studios are going to switch to P&S only and now this. Obviously the studios want to appease the morons who still haven't figured out how to stop the clock on their VCRs blinking 12:00.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Jerry Beck (http://www.cartoonresearch.com
Michael St. Clair
you know what to do...
[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on October 09, 2001 at 11:51 AM]

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
More proof positive that Warner has its collective head up its collective ass. It's just as well, though, since the current regime in home video would inevitably manage to screw it up somehow. Maybe once they're all replaced in the next corporate shakeup we'll get someone that isn't a complete boob in charge of DVD.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Seeing how this decision is coming from Warner, I am not the least bit shocked. They've said the same thing about their classic film library.
I have no idea where they do their research but I wouldn't be surprised if I see a Warner researcher when I pass my local cemetery.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Maybe once they're all replaced in the next corporate shakeup we'll get someone that isn't a complete boob in charge of DVD.
While I agree that their marketing department leaves a lot to be desired and is routinely making decisions that I disagree with, the folks that they have actually making the DVDs, Ned Price et al, are doing some great work. Titles like Citizen Kane, Superman, A Star is Born, North by Northwest, The Time Machine, and Annie Get Your Gun show that the Warner DVD folks can do great catalog releases when given the resources and direction to do so.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Jeez, can't these morons figure out that the prime DVD-buying demographic grew up on Looney Tunes!?
And yes, we'd like to have them on DVD. Idiots!
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I thought these were in the process of being restored. There's some conflicting information here-- even the densest dullard at WB has to know that these would sell like hotcakes.
If this is true, then I'm glad I bought all the WB Looney Tunes laserdiscs a few years back!

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I'm not surprised they are doing this. There is a company called Bosko Films that is putting out the early B&W Looney Tunes with Bosko. They also released the entire Private Snafu series shown only to soldiers in WW2. Many were done by the main LT/MM directors.
For completist that want all approx. 1,000 LT and MM you might consider looking into those, too.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Everything that Bosko releases is Public Domain.
They do the best quality job possible given available sources, however. But you'll never see most LT/MM from them.

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
These are the same people that thought that Batman Beyond Return of the Joker was aimed at little kids. Right, like little Johnny cares about anything more than Pokemon after being severely brainwashed with it every other half our when watching WB! Kids.
WB, get your act together. And do it soon.
We want Looney Tunes. You will make $$$ off us. And this time you can't screw it up with Pan and Scan.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It would be like restoring and remastering roughly 20 feature length movies...
That's how many cartoons are in the LT/MM library.
I really want LT/MM DVD's (I'd gladly pay for box sets of the cartoons.), but the fact that WB would have to do a herculean amount of work to do with the cartoons...probably makes the marketing department a little queasy.
The 1934-1948 color cartoons have to be color re-composited, the 1930-1943 B&W cartoons probably need some good cleaning and image restoration...
Remastering for over 1000 cartoons...
The mono soundtracks could use 5.1 remixing...the 1955-1969 cartoons need 16x9 enhancing (they're supposed to be matted to 1.85:1 or 1.78:1). Then there's extras like commentary tracks, posters, etc...
The petition will show how much people want DVD's of these films...
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, if there's anything that the abominable Cartoon Crazys series from Fox Lorber showed us, it's that cartoons from the 1930s and 1940s DO NOT NEED a trumped-up 5.1 soundtrack; indeed, it ruins them. A good clean Mono is perfectly fine.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I want them windowboxed, as they are not 1.33:1 and have very clear cropping on the sides that drives me crazy.
Most TV sets have so much overscan, the black bars on the top and bottom would be a fraction of an inch in size, so Windowboxing should not be a problem.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
"Oh, we're the boys in the chorus, we hope you like our show! / We know you're rootin' for us but now we have to gooooo!"
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Larry Davenport Seattle, WA, USA had this to say
Obviously the studios want to appease the morons who still haven't figured out how to stop the clock on their VCRs blinking 12:00.

Couldn't have said it better myself. DVD's golden days have come to an unfortunate close. Releasing only P&S titles will, as far as I'm concerned, will demolish the appeal of the format.
All we can hope for is that
A: Hillbilly Bob and his band of inbreads finally start to understand why OAR is the best. A snowball is more likely to live a longer life in Hell than this is to happen. Also we can be sure that Joe Moron would never put up the fight to accept OAR the way he did to fight it. Plus the twitching would really hender this.
B: Perhaps we'll get some movie studio versions of Telarc, Mobile Fidelity, Chesky, etc.
If OAR is going away, I'd prefer to see the DVD format triple in price as to prevent Joe Moron from being able to afford it thus no Wal-Mart sales and no complaints about "them thar black bars on my Sanyo Tae Vae".
To be honest I'd be able to afford fewer DVD's, but it would be worth it.
------------------
"What did Mr Spock see when he looked in the toilet? The Captain's Log."
Stolen from a BBS in 1985

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Mark Zimmer Madison, WI USA
DO NOT NEED a trumped-up 5.1 soundtrack; indeed, it ruins them. A good clean Mono is perfectly fine.
Dumb-ass Joe Moron mode = 1
Hey, Ahh want all mah speakers to have sound. Ahh paid for 6 speakers and I want them playin. I paid a lot of money for them Bose speakers. (twitching) I don't like them thar black bars neither. (more twitching) Ahh want my screen filled up.
------------------
"What did Mr Spock see when he looked in the toilet? The Captain's Log."
Stolen from a BBS in 1985

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I just signed the petition, they're up to 813. We need more guys, if you haven't signed, go sign.
Warners has been stating they've been working on Looney Tune sets for over 3 years now. These guys are just lame, pure and simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks