What's new

LOONATICS...or How I Started Worrying and Skinned the Bunny (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

It reeks no imagination, in that case why don't we take all the old cartoons and make new characters with out really changing them. Buzz Bunny, come'on that's just stupid. I guess we can do the same with Mickey Mouse and characters as previously posted. Imagine Goofy jumping and flipping with an attitude. I guess that famous Goofy scream when he falls can be a sonic blaster. Wow that's a stretch of imagination, I guess I'll go and sign the 500.00 waiver with Disney for the Goofy idea, but you guys heard it hear first.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
So, is this any different than the Duck Dodgers series, or stuff like Muppet Treasure Island, which all basically feature classic characters "playing parts"? This looks pretty ill-conceived, but I don't know that it's any more inherently distasteful than those ideas.

Of course, it's an unimpressive design and a generic sort of series concept, which is much more damning.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Except they aren't. This is more like "Tiny Toons", where they were new characters based on the old archetypes.

I may or may not like this, but from the look of the characters, it isn't boading well for me.

Jason

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
I think the idea shows promise and has great comedic potential. The stylized designs and futuristic sci-fi settings are promising, and show hope for creativity and imaginative storytelling. As a huge fan of cartoons, I'm certaintly looking forward to this one! :)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I guess my ultimate question about this whole thing is: do the originals need reinvention?

Most of us posting in this discussion now were not a twinkle in our fathers' eyes when the Looney Tunes were originally shown and yet they speak to all of us. Did these last generations suddenly turn a corner into a new world in which the classics no longer work?

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
That is like asking if Coca Cola needs reinventing? Should they forget the diet, caffeine free, lime, cherry, etc... I think kids still like regular looney tunes just like people still like regular coke even though they have expanded on the original many times. Expanding a product line does not mean the original is no longer working, usually it means the exact opposite.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Jed,

I don't think your comparisons are valid. The variations on Coca Cola that you mentioned are basically Coca Cola with small adjustments. Loonatics isn't Looney Tunes with a twist, it's an entirely new product with only the smallest connections to the original. The Coke vs. New Coke is a much better analogy, although one that doesn't help your cause.

I don't buy the expanding product line idea either. This is not a case of extending a product into a medium in which it didn't exist - such as taking a TV show and creating a movie or taking a movie and creating toy/collectible merchandising. It is certainly a spin-off but generally, in those cases, the audience is drawn from the main show to the new show (or that's the idea anyway) but, in this case, I doubt that is the idea here.

I know they still show the original cartoons on Boomerang but, for the most part, how many kids are exposed to the original Looneys anyway? Would the Loonatics target audience even get or make the connection between the shows?

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Thats amazing! Sounds more like the WB had thought to change the characters anyway before the kid spoke up. Still an amazing accomplishment!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks