What's new

Looky here: 'Crouching Tiger', possible caveat... (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I agree, Jim...makes no sense. Sony is also doing similar with Wolf/Dracula/Frankenstein. This new strategy sucks!

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
This really ticks me off. I own both of the other moives and Crouchign Tiger is a big favorite of mine. It also doesn't make any sense from a marketing perspective - Crouching Tiger had a full-on US release, whereas the other two had a very limited art-house release and are unlikely to have mass appeal. Sony seems to be the only company that is making these kind of stupid, arrogant moves of repackaging already released movies with unreleased ones. They did the same thing with the Harryhausen set. It's a real thumb in the eye, especially given the type of audience that this stuff is going to appeal to.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Good news, everyone! Not only will the UK version of CTHD be an individual release, but it comes out a week earlier, on July 6, and it's playable in all regions! It's already up at Amazon UK for the equivalent of a little over $21.

Now, this might mean that Sony is contemplating releasing it individually here as well, but if they do you could always cancel the Amazon UK order.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Meh. I already own Golden Flower. So am I supposed to buy it again and sell it on Half.com? In the end that might be cheaper than paying for shipping from the UK.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
If it holds true that there'll be no single release, and the other two are the original product, especially HoFD, all I can say is: Sony has balls. It's hard to believe that any degree of serious thought went into this packaging. It's fairly close to a rigid middle finger pointed at their customers.

Haven't BD customers done a lot of buying to make the format an early success, especially in times like these?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Funniest (scariest?) part of that thread is the guy who is convinced he will walk of Best Buy with only CTHD in hand. :laugh:

Seriously, this is a disappointment, so I will investigate importing. For those who are eyeing the UK release, this is a naive question since I don't import: will there be PAL/NTSC issues? Or are those a thing of the past with Blu-ray and 1080p/24? I'll be using a PS3.

Thanks!

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Most UK releases of films are 1080p/24, though some films (from smaller video companies) and some TV releases (those not slowed down to 1080p/24 or standards-converted to 1080i/60 to allow one world-wide master) are in 1080i/50.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Guess I'll go the import route too since it's region-free and reasonably priced. Anyone know if that would be the exact same disc as the USA release?

Seems like a very bad customer-relations marketing choice for Sony to go this route w/ the USA release. It's one thing to do it for actual movie franchises (particularly when released to the format for the first time) like the Spiderman trilogy (and others like Austin Powers from Warner, etc), but quite another to do it this way for hardly related titles, especially when only one of them is an actual first time release. :thumbsdown:

Has anyone w/ any clout brought this up to Sony yet? Maybe there's still time for them to relent and release CTHD separately.

_Man_

Eric F

Screenwriter
This is a Sony release so there should be no problems.

I highly suspect there will be an individual release some months down the line. But for those of us who aren't willing to wait, I suppose we'll just have to pay the extra $8+ for shipping from the UK.:frowning:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I don't know about that. I don't think the Spideman BDs, except for the 3rd movie, have ever gotten individual releases for instance -- not that that particular case matters much to me personally.

_Man_

Eric F

Screenwriter
I think that's a different case as it's part of a trilogy, and all 3 Spider-Man movies came out on Blu simultaneously.

In this case, the other two movies have been out for quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks