Looks Like the XBOX Will Be a Region Free DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Glenn, Mar 15, 2002.

1. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

I know there's a product coming soon for the UK xbox that will convert it for region free use:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.play.com/Play247.asp?pag...OX&title=100483
    Select "xbox" in the drop down search and type in "region x"
    Any news for the U.S. xbox version of this or a similar product?
    Since the U.S. xbox already does pal and ntsc. I thought the hardware was the same and since it's a software product that makes the xbox region free (alters firmware I guess), the software product for the U.K. should work on the U.S. xbox.
    Maybe the laws in the states prohibit the distribution of such a product here but not in the UK or the rest of Europe.
    As soon as I can get my hands on this disc, I'll try it and post the results here.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I'd be surprised if a region-free option were offered for the XBOX in the US. Region-free players are not nearly as common in the US as in the UK and other parts of the world.

3. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

Are you saying that MS allowed the UK XBOX firmware to be altered but not the U.S. firmware?

4. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    There is also a Reigon X available for the PS2 that is available in the US. I bought one awile ago and it works just swell. [​IMG]
    So, based on that I would assume that you will see the reigon X for the xbox here in the states.

5. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

You would think that if Sony (who holds intrests in providing dvd content) allowed their PS2 firmware to be altered for region free use, then MS would do the same for the U.S. xbox. Here's hoping...

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I haven't heard anything one way or the other with the XBOX, nor was I aware of a region-free option for the PS2. Truthfully, I don't follow developments with these systems. Region-free versions of conventional component DVD players are quite rare in the US. I'm sure a lot of people would like to see Panasonic offer a region-free option for the DVD-RP91. I'm sure it could be done.

7. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Stephen,
    I took a quick glance at the regionX for PS2. The site I saw it at
    http://www.modchip.com/ps2/
    seems to say that it only works for Region 1 and Region 2. Do you know if this is true, or does it work for all regions? Do you have any idea how it works? Is this something you have to stick in before every dvd, or is it a use once, and then you're good forever? Permanent firmware modifications would make me a bit hesitant to try it.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

They probably put the "only works on region 1 and 2" on the box because of the NTSC issue, which is moot on XBox

It's a software solution/bootdisc.

9. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

10. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    John,

It works for all reigons. The version I have is the older Reigon Key which plugs into a memory card slot and some software loads up your regular memory card to hold the settings.

The new version is just a CD that dumps everything to your memory card.

On both you just boot off the CD, select your reigon and then put in the DVD that you want and voom, it goes.

It doesn't do anything to the firmware at all.

I think it was well worth the $30 I paid so that I can watch the occassional R2 Japanese Anime DVD.

11. Peter Wong

Peter Wong Auditioning

On a semi-related topic, has anybody tried playing a Region Free PAL DVD in the X-Box? How does it compare to a standalone player? If the picture/sound isn't too bad, the X-Box would be another option in the Region Free PAL->NTSC DVD player lineup (and I might have to consider returning my Daewoo 5700 for an X-Box).

12. DonWinzen

DonWinzen Stunt Coordinator

Okay stupid newbie question time: What is the reason people want a region-free player?

13. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

One of the primary reasons:

So you can play dvds (films) from other regions which may not be available on dvd in your region.

14. DonWinzen

DonWinzen Stunt Coordinator

Okay.

15. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

There is one listed at Amazon Uk - release date of 3/22 I think. Anyone know if this will work in a region 1 player?

If so, I'm ordering it tonight! Got a copy of Kiki's R2 DVD and am dying to watch it!