Looks like the TV gave up the ghost... What now? (kind of long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Harwood, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Matt Harwood

Matt Harwood Agent

Well, after nailing down my co-ax problem, doing continuity checks with my S-video connection (a broken pin in the cable was the culprit), and being relieved that my subwoofer is "supposed" to hum a little, I've found that my ancient Hitachi 57" RPTV has probably given up the ghost. It's probably 16-17 years old, and I just had it serviced to correct a blurry picture, and all was well for about a week.
    Well, it's blurry again.
    Technically, it seems to have trouble focusing the guns on a single image. I'm getting three images, one green, one red, and one blue, all ghosting all over each other at the top 1/3 of the screen. I've tried aligning it using the test pattern to no avail. Also, it doesn't seem to like DVDs any more--especially dark scenes cause it to roll as if the horizontal hold was damaged. I used to be able to adjust this out, but I can't any longer.
    So I'm back and I'm asking if I should try to repair it again (there's a 90-day warranty on the repairs) or just buckle down and buy a new TV (heck, the basement HT project is only 400% over budget already, right?). And if I should buy a new TV, should I seriously look into HDTV? I know the advantages and teh technology, but will I be missing out on significant improvements if I simply buy a quality 4:3 RPTV? I'm going to have a tough time selling my wife on an expensive TV.
    Your excellent advice, as always, is greatly appreciated.

2. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Sounds like the TV is about to go out (especially considering its age). While I'm not familiar with RPTVs, I doubt that it would be very cost-effective to keep pouring money into repairs. It would be cheaper to buy a new Widescreen set.

I think you should seriously look into HDTV. It looks so much better than NTSC video. A Widescreen HDTV set (with or without a progressive scan DVD player) will create an astounding picture from your DVDs. Plus, OTA HDTV will look incredible. I've seen one in action, and I've already decided that a 16x9 HDTV set will be my next purchase.

Anyways, with that in mind, I would seriously consider the Toshiba, Mitsubishi, and Pioneer Elite sets. Around here, they are considered to be the best sets for DVD and HDTV viewing. I think you will regret it later on if you decide to opt for a 4:3 NTSC-only RPTV set.

3. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

If I had to buy a TV today, I would buy a 4:3 aspect ratio HDTV-ready set with the vertical squeeze feature for widescreen material at full resolution.

This will give you the same quality picture on progressive scanned DVD signals (or HDTV broadcasts) as a widescreen TV, but it will give you a significantly larger picture on normal NTSC broadcasts (like football games).

I would probably not consider the purchase of an HDTV set-top box for antenna reception at the current prices. The industry has apparently not decided that it is time to price these puppies to "move some boxes". They seem awfully "proud" of these boxes to charge $700 for them.