What's new

Looks like that Stripes SE will be coming soon (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jeff,
You have another right, don't buy it again. Also, I just realized that the dvd release of the theatrical release was back in 1998. At least that's better than what Warner did with "The Letter" or Sony with the Karate Kid movies in which dvds are being released of the same movie just months apart. One being as a individual dvd coming out again as part of a boxset while the opposite for the Karate Kid movies.

Crawdaddy

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Definitely. Murray it seems was reluctant to participate in DVD releases of his older films so interviews with him are very welcome.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I found the ad in the new Video Business. In addition to the "almost 20 minutes of never before seen movie" and teh "6 hilarious deleted scenes" highlighted above, there is a full cast interviews. Mentions "original material from Bill Murray".

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

I do suppose they did.

After you hit Play Movie a menu screen pops up asking you which version you want to watch.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I just sat through the announcement during the Tw20enty [or however the hell they spell it] at the midnight show for RotS.

My brother started griping and moaning, because he has it in his collection. I told him if he is really nice, I might allow him to borrow the SE about a month after I purchase it.

What would also be nice for a Stripes related release would be an audio CD of the terrific Elmer Bernstein score.

P.S. Thanks, Tony! I know what you mean about the wallet being less than amused.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
From the DVDTalk review:

Can you confirm this?

If they're optional then these markers would be a good idea - but if you can't turn them off that would be terrible.

And what version has the commentary?

The DVDTalk review says the theatrical, the DVDMG.com review says the extended.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I'd trust the DVDMG guy - he's freakin' genius! :laugh:

As for the markers, no, you can't remove them. I don't think they're a distraction - they're brief - but it is too bad they're permanent.

In regard to the commentary, we're BOTH right - and wrong! I checked the DVD and you can listen to the commentary with EITHER version. I thought the menu said it was only with the extended one, but I must've gotten that from the press release and not tried to watch the commentary with the theatrical version. (Didn't see a point since I wanted to hear the full commentary.)

Anyway, hope this clears things up - you can watch the commentary with either cut...

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Just an idea - these markers are probably a subtitle track, so turning the subtitles off manually could eliminate them.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Tried that on two differents players and it didn't work. The only subtitle options are for English and French to accompany the movie's dialogue - there's no way I can find to defeat the markers.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Aha, good catch there, Colin.

I simply chose the commentary from the Extra Features menu and the DVD took me straight into the theatrical cut.

Only makes sense that you could turn on the Extended Cut and then flip the commentary track on via your remote's audio options.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
June 7! Thats next week! Wow I thought it was coming out in July.

Thats great.

Did you know this was originally a vehicle for Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong?

We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts.

C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like we're going into *Wisconsin*.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Really? When I selected the commentary and hit "Play Movie" from the "Special Features" screen, it gave me the option of extended or theatrical versions. Weird that it didn't offer the same choice for you...

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure that happened because the FIRST thing I did with the DVD was click "Play" so I could check out the transfer. I then clicked "menu" on my remote and dug into the special features. So when I chose the commentary track and "play movie" it must have just picked up from where I left off on the theatrical cut.

Either way, thanks for the correction. I've edited my review to give readers the straight dope.

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to go to the stockade.:)

If you are in the NYC area this week and like Stripes, contact me at my e-mail or private message me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks