What's new

Looks Like Now's A Good Time To Jump-Start Your Hitchcock DVD Collections! (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Several DVDs of Alfred Hitchcock films (i.e. Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window, and The Birds) are getting a re-pricing by Universal (as of September 2nd). Dang near half the price of the previously-released upper-stratosphere pricing of the original Hitch DVD releases.

So, if you want to pick up some great flicks by The Master himself, looks like now would be a good time to pre-order.

Any other avid Hitchcock collectors amongst us?
Now, if we could just garner Dial M, Suspicion, and The Wrong Man on DVD, then the horror shelves just might be close to being complete. :)

"You should never keep a souvenir of a killing. ... You shouldn't have been that...sentimental."

"Poor thing. ... It must have gotten lost in the dark" ..... "But it's not dark, Annie. There's a full moon."

"I've never known birds of different species to flock together. Why, if that happened, we wouldn't stand a chance! How could we hope to fight them?!"

"You did it Thorwald...You did it!!"

"I'm not about to kiss off $40,000!! I'll track her down, never you doubt it! And if any of it's missing, I'll replace it with her fine soft flesh!!"

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MCA020251

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MCA020395

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Yep, now if only they would reduce some of the other Universal titles ...

Btw, some believe that Dial M for Murder may be a phone call away in 2004.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Btw, some believe that Dial M for Murder may be a phone call away in 2004.
Yes, I heard that spinning in the rumor mill as well. Hopefully, it'll come to fruition. Perhaps a November 12, 2004, release .... just in time to celebrate the 75th birthday of the late, great, and lovely Grace Patricia Kelly. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
...release separately the Alfred Hitchcock Presents discs that were available only in the sets...
*raises hand to second this nomination* :)

Some of those A.H. Presents shows are top-notch indeed. .... Ever see the ep., Man From The South, with Peter Lorre as a finger-severing gambler? One of my faves. :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Universal is thankfully lowering prices all over.

The Blues Brothers, which I've seen go for $32, is now $11 at a certain river-named site.

I've wanted several of the Hitchcock films for a while, but couldn't justify $29 for the discs. (Even the non-anamorphic issue for Vertigo and Psycho didn't bother me)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The Blues Brothers, which I've seen go for $32, is now $11 at a certain river-named site.
Or even less than that at other locales. :emoji_thumbsup:

Just this second noticed yet another much-anticipated (by me) price drop: FOX's
9 To 5. (Was in the $18 range.)

September 2nd must be the official "Let's Reduce Our Prices From Those Heretofore-Hideously-High MRPs" day. :)

Now if I could just convince Columbia/Tri-Star to slice a hunk off that $27.95
Caine Mutiny Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Can you tell us what the new prices for those Hitchcocks are supposed to be? Thanks. amazon.ca notes the repricing date, but the new prices are only a little bit less than before. I have had these 4 in my amazon "wishlist" for a very long time.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Can you tell us what the new prices for those Hitchcocks are supposed to be?
DeepDiscount has the four Hitch pics from my initial post (Birds, Vertigo, Psycho, and R. Window) for $13.99 each. Down from their previous $23+ price tag.

Amazon's price is $3 higher, at $16.99 per (for Region 1). Don't understand, really, why anybody would shop @ Amazon for (most) DVDs. Other places are always much cheaper. But, to each his own.

The new re-priced MSRP from Universal on these four is: $19.95.

Interestingly, Amazon shows that these re-priced Hitchcocks are available right now...not "To Be Released September 2" like the other e-tailers. (Shades of "Duel" here @ Amazon it seems. If they've got 'em, screw the studios schedule...we're gonna ship 'em! :))

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Another non-SE title just begging for an MSRP reduction is Barefoot In The Park.

I want it. But not at the current lofty sum. :frowning:

Ever wonder how the studios figure these things? It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason behind it. Some naked-skeleton (:)) titles are offered up at $29.99 (MSRP), like "Barefoot"; but other gloriously-packaged 2-Disc SEs are put out at much less. ???

Are they flipping a coin? Or is it an eeny-meany-miney-moe kind of pricing structure? :)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
amazon.CA is often much cheaper for some titles than anybody else, that's why. amazon.com is a waste of time IMO. Hey, if DDDVD has 'em that cheap, I may be in, thanks for the info, like that place. amazon.ca doesn't list the new prices yet then, though they are a touch lower than last week. I expect they will be cheaper than DDDVD, they almost always are except for Criterions. Then there's DVDSoon... Anyway, I'll have these soon from somebody. CH in Canada has a half-price sale on now anyway and I was thinking of finally getting these 4, that's why I wondered about the general price reduction.

Raj_Thiara

Agent
Amazon.ca is a fairly good place for Canadians to shop on-line because of their free shipping offers, extensive catalogue, good initial prices and their excellent coupons. Unfortunately, shipping from the USA is often not a good deal in Canada due to potential customs problems and high shipping costs.

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
I want to pick up most of these movies, but I am wondering if these are good versions? I am I looking at a better re-release in the near future? Thanks

Troy

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
That deepdiscountdvd link has a rather awkward synopsis for Pyscho...
I'm wondering if I should hold out for anamorphic. Anyone think that's coming for Hitch?

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
Great Information! Thanks for the heads up David.

I wouldn't hold out for anamorphic releases. Not that they couldn't happen, but if it does, it'll be at least a couple of years down the road. If it happens sooner than that you can always e-bay the non-anamorphic ones and upgrade.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I bought all of the Hitch Universal releases a long time ago at full price and was happy to do so.

The reason those four are getting discount pricing is probably because they'll be able to sell more of those titles to a general market than Hitch's other Universal catalog titles. The Birds, Psycho, Vertigo and Rear Window all made at least one of the AFI lists if I remember correctly. I doubt that Rope, Torn Curtain, Topaz or Family Plot would be as high sellers as these four. I'm kind of confused why the James Stewart "Man Who Knew Too Much" remake wasn't in the price drops, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks