What's new

Looks like Nokia is taking a shot at the GBA Empire (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The biggest draw to the GBA is games like Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, and other Nintendo franchises, absolutely none of which will end up on the N-Gage.
I don't know as I believe this - I think the GameBoy originally took off because the Lynx was much more expensive, too large, and drained batteries quickly (and Atari couldn't get anything into stores by that time). The GameGear and portable TG-16 didn't come along until later, so once the Lynx had been dispached, Nintendo had the market all to themselves. Then they were smart enough to keep the price low and maintain backward compatibility.

Of course, Nokia faces pretty much the same issues Atari, Sega, and NEC did when they tried to enter the field, except that the GBA's library is now immense as opposed to just large - they've got a technologically much more advanced product, but it costs much more and Nintendo's entrenched. The question is whether people will feel the N-Gage's multifunctionality makes it worth the price.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one that can't stand these all in one devices? I have yet to see ANY devices that does multiple things like this and does it well. I have NEVER found myself in a situation where I want to play a game, no wait want to listen to mp3, no wait want to listen to radio, no wait want to watch a streaming video all in a portable. People just don't work/live/play like that.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Mike- I actually prefer all-in-ones when it comes to portable. When you have a portable music player, cell phone, gaming machine, and laptop you can't help but feel cluttered. I can't wait to browse the net on my cell phone while listening to music after I just finished playing a game. Wouldn't you expect a device like this in the 21st century?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Cube sales have disappointed almost every time that one of these "Key" games gets released for it
Maybe all the people who would buy those "key" games already have the console? People were also disappointed by Mario Sunshine because of the water pack and didn't like the idea of Metroid in 3-D before either game was released. Zelda is probably going to be the strongest game they release for the console in all of it's lifespan unless they come up with something really good.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
4th qtr 2003? Crap, I'll have to carry on with my current crappy phone until then. :frowning:

Phone + mp3 + game = :D

-Dave

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Maybe all the people who would buy those "key" games already have the console?
This is precisely my point. Morgan you have given me the impression that if it has Nintendo on it you’re there with your money no questions asked. You are convinced that the games will be great as long as they are coming from the big N. There are a number of people that happen to have the same mind set and are right along with you buying up the hardware because of the big key Nintendo games, which by the way is perfectly ok. But to say that these games are the main reason for Nintendo's success in the handheld market is well, short sighted. I agree that they do indeed sell some systems, but they are far from the main influence on people looking to spend their money.

Dean

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
But to say that these games are the main reason for Nintendo's success in the handheld market is well, short sighted
The main reason to buy Nintendo consoles is for Nintendo games. There are other factors, but that is pretty much the sole reason.

With the GameBoy Advance, most of the great games are from Nintendo.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The main reason to buy Nintendo consoles is for Nintendo games. There are other factors, but that is pretty much the sole reason.
Aside from the contradiction inherent in that last second, do you really think Mario is the only reason that the Game Boy and its successors so thoroughly laid claim to the handheld market, as opposed to the price and convenience edges it had over the Lynx and GameGear?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
do you really think Mario is the only reason that the Game Boy and its successors so thoroughly laid claim to the handheld market, as opposed to the price and convenience edges it had over the Lynx and GameGear?
When the GameBoy Color came out, the main reason to get a GBC and GBA was for the Nintendo games. Maybe when the GB first came out a decade ago it was successful because of bad competition, but I think that it continues to succeed because it's made by Nintendo.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
When the GameBoy Color came out, the main reason to get a GBC and GBA was for the Nintendo games.
Well, that and Atari, Sega, and NEC had pretty much been chased from the market by the time the GBA arrived, so if you wanted a handheld game console, it was Nintendo or whatever they have on your cell phone. Heck, when the Game Boy Color came out (1998), the only competition left was the Tiger game.com which launch was bungled so bad you'd think Tramiels were involved.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I'm very interested in this phone / gaming device. I'll be ready for a new phone by then, and I have always loved Nokia's products. This thing will be solid if Nokia's track record is any indication.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Maybe when the GB first came out a decade ago it was successful because of bad competition, but I think that it continues to succeed because it's made by Nintendo.
I think it's so successful now because there's NO competition. Gaming on a PDA is still far behind even the GBC, and trying to play a simple handheld game while navigating a phone keypad isn't a strong selling point for me.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Some more impressions from computerandvideogames.com:

"To deal with the system first, in terms of size it's just a little bit smaller than a GBA when viewed from the front, (as you can see from our comparison pics) and slightly thinner again, (largely thanks to using data cards as opposed to cartridges).

In the hands, N-Gage feels comfortable, if slightly odd, but that's likely due to familiarity with GBA. The lack of shoulder buttons is a little disappointing, but this is more than made up for by the wealth of front-mounted buttons thanks to the phone keypad. Two main buttons are highlighted as the action buttons, but others were already being used in the demos, to make Lara sidestep in Tomb Raider, for instance.

We found the D-pad - or "Rocker" as Nokia insists on it being called - a little on the disappointing side, with top and bottom, left and right portions slightly raised, causing an odd feel rather like the D-pad on the original Xbox controller.

The screen is positioned vertically as opposed to the horizontal display of GBA - a slightly odd decision - but the backlit screen is crystal clear and allows ultra-sharp, crisp, clear images. Though the back-lit screen naturally has a serious impact on battery life. (Expect 3-6 hours for gameplay.)

But onto the games, and here are brief impressions of the titles we were able to play.

Sonic N
"N" for Nokia, one presumes, Sega's N-Gage launch title seems to be a version of GBA's Sonic Advance. There were frequent framerate issues, but the game certainly looks and feels like a Sonic title, and should make an excellent addition to the launch line-up.

Snowboarding
A first-party Nokia title, Snowboarding offered the best example of how games will be able to make use of multiple buttons. Displayed in full 3D, Snowboarding feels similar to Microsoft's Amped on Xbox, with the boarder able to jump by holding down and releasing an action button, then pulling off a range of tricks via the "Rocker" and other buttons. As a technical demo, the 3D was very impressive and convincing, but the game still requires much work.

Super Monkey Ball
Sega's classic puzzler was still at a very early stage on N-Gage, but there's no reason to suspect the game won't be every bit as enjoyable as the GBA port. Framerate issues again but, as we said, the code was very early.

Pandemonium
Eidos's 2D/3D adventure looked stunning on N-Gage, offering solid, if a little sluggish, platforming action based on the PSone original. As with Tomb Raider and the other 3D N-Gage titles, the potential shown at this early stage bodes very well for the future of the format.

Virtua Tennis
Sega's classic tennis sim was present only in demo form, sadly, but tennis players were nicely detailed and smoothly animated and, assuming the title boasts online multiplayer, this could be a real jewel in N-Gage's crown.

Kart Racing
Another Nokia title which was, frankly, terrible. But - crucially - we were able to test out Bluetooth multiplayer with the game, which worked absolutely perfectly, and although the game itself is a naff Mario Kart clone, the technology supporting it is flawless.

Tomb Raider
The real surprise of the event. Eidos has delivered a near perfect rendition of the PSone original's visuals and gameplay. The demo offered precious little in terms of action, but made up for it in genuine wow factor, providing a highly detailed 3D world with excellent texture and lighting work of the like GBA can only dream of. Hard. Core.

On the downside, Tomb Raider ran quite slowly and controls felt slightly unresponsive, but with release at least nine months away, Tomb Raider may well be the system seller Nokia is looking for.

There we are, then. N-Gage in all its initial glory. It's tough to determine if the console will be a success at this early stage, but it's clear Nokia has done a lot right already. With a great selection of games and a competitive price point, who knows what N-Gage might achieve? Stay tuned for extensive coverage of N-Gage over the coming weeks and months."

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Initial thoughts:

Nice first try, need some improvements. First off, the thing is too expensive. $300 is way to much, even $200 would be quite a stretch, with a GBA running for $70, and a GBA SP for $100. Of course, you're looking at the guy who thought the iPod would flop because no one would pay $400 for a music player, and I'm a huge Apple guy.

Game library is awfully small when compared to the huge number of GBA games, much less GBA+GBC+GB. However, you have to start somewhere, and launch titles look to be at least decent, if uninspiring overall.

Hardware looks good, but a 6-9 months from now? The GBA will be two and a half years old by then, you know the big N is working on its successor already.

Vertical screen orientation unusual choice, maybe made to differentiate from the GBA? The GBA has been a terrific side scroller, and the vertical orientation isn't as well suited to that, same with fighting games, etc. Better to be able to see further to your left and right then up and down. True 3d games, if it pulls them off well, however, might be an exception here, although I like Doom on the GBA.

It suffers from the opposite problem of the GBA. While the GBA's big glaring omission were two face buttons (why give something that's basically a portable SNES two face buttons instead of 4?), this has 9 face and no shoulder, grouped tightly together. there's going to be a lot of frustration from not being able to remember which buttong is which in a group that tightly clustered, and a lot of incident where people hit the adjacent button by mistake.

Size is a downside. It's to big compared to most modern cell phones, but you can't make a portable concole any smaller, you need buttons, screen rez, etc. PDAs with their address book capabillities and relatively low demands are an obvious choice to merge with cell, but camera (maybe), MP3 player (that speaker better be darn good), and portable games (makes it too big)?

I think it's got potential, but I'll wait for the 2.0 or maybe the 1.5 model before I start thinking about replacing my GBA.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You also forgot to mention that to switch out cartridge games, you have to remove the battery cover and the batteries to access the port where the carts go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks