Looks like Nokia is taking a shot at the GBA Empire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean Cooper, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Lets get ready to RUMBLE!!!!

Here is the new handheld from Nokia:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Games so far are:
    Bounce (Nokia)
    Kart Racing (Nokia)
    Virtually Board Snowboarding II (Nokia)
    Sonic N (Sega)
    Puyo Puyo (Sega)
    Virtua Tennis (Sega)
    Sega Rally (Sega)
    Super Monkey Ball (Sega)
    Tomb Raider (Eidos)
    Pandemonium (Eidos)
    Major League Baseball (THQ)
    MotoGP (THQ)
    Red Faction (THQ)

Check out all of the details here

Looks like its a pretty good contender. I think I'll be getting a new phone soon.

Dean

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

This could be really cool. Some obvious questions unanswered, though: What's this going to run me? What's the power supply (rechargable? AAA batteries?)? Do I need to activate it as a cell phone?

I could very easily jump for this - I don't have a cell, Game Boy, MP3 player, or PDA - but it's almost certain to be an order of magnitude more expensive than the GBA.

I do dig the arcade-shaped screen, though.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

...and it's delayed until late fall
    ...and none of the games were shown at the big press event because they are too incomplete
    ...and it is in no way competition for GBA.

Despite what will be yet another handheld failure, it is an interesting design and I hope Nintendo takes note of its many features (phone, mp3 player, FM radio) for future Gameboy models.

4. Dean Cooper

I don't know Camp, how many teens do you think have cel phones? Nokia has a MUCH bigger pool to dip into because of everything it does. Its still too early to say for sure but I wouldn't be suprized if the sales for this thing rival GBA numbers because of the people that would normally not buy a gameboy but would buy a cool phone/mp3 player/ email client/PDA/Game Handheld. Personally I hope they do so Nintendo does start pushing the envelope, they are too comfortable right now.

Dean

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Not to mention this thing will be available all over the place - potentially everywhere you can get a GameBoy, PDA, MP3 Player, or cell phone. Every time someone signs up for a wireless plan, this could be one of the options. If Nokia can crank them out for a reasonable price, and get good support, they could start grabbing market share in a big way.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

True, a lot of teens already have cell phones, so why would they plunk down that much money for another one? They might as well get a regular cell phone and a GBA.

This isn't a realy contender for the GBA. It's just a really enhanced cell phone.

Developers are probably making games for this because they can generate more profits from sales with less work than with the GBA, since Nintendo takes so much money from GBA game sales.

8. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I actually see a bright future for such devices, when a few issues are taken care of. Wireless mobile gaming is immensely popular in Japan and other east Asian countries running on 3G networks. Issues of note:

Weak battery life: 3-6 hours isn't going to cut it.

Cost: $200? When mommy and daddy are buying a toy for little Jimmy, the $70 GBA seems much more attractive. What will the cost of software be?

Size: I would like to see a clamshell gaming phone, possibly mimicking the design of the GBA SP. 5.2x2x1 is a little too chubby for a mobile phone.

Games: Let's see if developers stick with this platform regardless of immediate unit sales.

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    When the new nokia phones came out, they were easily around $200USD ($300 CAD), and my friend bought one the first week or two it was out...

If they promote this well, it could definitely be successful...

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

And the biggest question of all:

What happens when you're playing the last boss and you get a booty call? Decisions, decisions... :b

12. Dean Cooper

13. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I really like that they're trying to break into this market. When they put Snake on a phone, you had to figure they would try something like this.

I personally think that $200-$300 dollars for a game system/phone is a bit too much though. Also, I don't think my work would pick up the tab to get me this one as my new phone. [​IMG]

Glen

14. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Some impressions of it posted here:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/front_index.php

"Did we say GBA-beating specs? Yup. And this was the real surprise of the event. The corporate double-speak was all very impressive and the pitch as polished as you'd expect, but what really captured the attention of the audience was the first glimpse of Tomb Raider running on N-Gage. And we're not talking top-down-GBA Tomb Raider; we mean fully 3D PSone-standard"

"Praise the Lord, then, that Nokia has enlisted the support of the heavyweights listed above, plus more which will be announced over the coming weeks and months. And as a taster for the full hands-on impressions we'll be bringing you tomorrow, here's a sample of some of the games you'll be enjoying later this year:

Super Monkey Ball
    Virtua Tennis
    Sonic N
    Tomb Raider
    MotoGP
    Sega Rally
    Puzzle Bobble
    Pandemonium
    Puyo Puyo
    Super Space Invaders

But N-Gage is not just about the solitary experience of playing games. Quite the opposite, in fact, with Nokia insisting that every piece of software either offer full online play or downloadable content and other online functions as a bare minimum.

The conference video illustrated this and the overall functionality of the N-Gage, showing someone playing a game online, while being interrupted sporadically by SMS messages or phone calls. Games automatically freeze if any of these events occur. A further cool feature is the ability to take screen grabs at any point and send them to another N-Gage unit.

As for the games, they will be available on individual cards through retailers, or available for download on pre-installed data cards."

This is more like it, i love my games but uptil now i have had no desire whatsoever to buy a Gameboy, this baby i want!!! Of course this is a contender to the Gameboy and i know plenty of people who are gonna want one.

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I read impressions at Gamers.com and I don't think it's really worth it.

They said the price will be less than the equivalent of $540, which is too much, and you have to remove the back compartment cover and the batteries to switch games. The screen is also too small and doesn't work well with side-scrolling games. The fact that the specs are better than the GBA (a nearly 2 year old handheld) makes sense, but at the high price, regardless of the many features, it's not worth it.

I'm sticking with my GBA (which also has those first-party Nintendo games everyone likes).

16. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'd much rather have this than a Gameboy, which has always been behind the times except for the first model. Morgan who told you it would be $540?? IGN states less than $300. Check the bottom of the page for more links including a movie.

Looks like this thing will also feature wireless multiplayer gaming and it's equiped with Bluetooth technology. Plus USB connectivity for grabbing games music for its internal mp3 player, FM radio, & email support, this thing is loaded and I don't see a Gameboy doing these things anytime soon. Not to mention it's made by Nokia who will no doubt make a million cool little accessories for it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neat little animation

17. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    boring! i'll take a gba over this any day. even if i didnt have a phone, or a gba, i would steer clear of this. and do you think anyone is going to buy this thing strictly from a gaming standpoint, especially with all the weak games being developed for it? it will be a little successful at first, but the popularity will die down fast. when nintendo releases a successor to the gba, you can bet it will be something special. and i hope it doesnt have a phone built in.

18. Scott L

Scott L Producer

^^^ lol!! Good point, but I was being sarcastic in the first place. :wink: And just fyi I'd buy this and I've gotten a few booty calls in my day. [​IMG] [​IMG]

As for the next Gameboy, let's put it this way; at least Nintendo has some healthy competition as it looks like Nokia will only make more of these.

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

20. Dean Cooper