Looks like my house insurance might go up due to my dogs.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, Mar 4, 2004.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

My grandmother got a call today from the insurance company asking what breeds of dogs were on the property, and when she told them boxers(along with my pugs and bassett hound) they said it might go up now due to a new policy enacted this year. I guess they said it was because boxers are now considered a risky breed or something.

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Arghhh! Please don't get me started on this risky breed crapola.
    Sorry to hear that.

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Yea, it is crazy. I've had the 2 dogs for over 10 years now and now they deciding this. It aggrevates me. I never once had a problem with these 2. I could see if someone called in and said that they seemed like a potential risk or that they tried to or did attack someone, but they never showed any signs of aggression towards anyone. I don't know if you count barking at someone they don't know who knocked at the door or ringed the door bell aggressive behavoir these days or not, if so they I guess they have then.

4. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Time to take your buisness elsewhere. And let them know why.

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Stephen,

Yep that's aggressive behavior! Quick get the Vet to put
    your dogs on Prozak so all they do is lie on the floor and
    drool all day (well mine does that already..)...

I get sick of the crap too. I have a Doberman Pinscher and
    if any dog gets a bad rap it's the Doberman (and the Pit Bull).

My Dobie is the sweetest most loveable, loyal dog I have
    ever had.. Sure if you come in the house without permission
    she's going to chew you a new one.. Then again that's if
    you don't get SHOT by me first...

*shrugs* everything's PC now.. Even the dogs have to be PC!

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

It's actually my pugs I have to watch around strangers because they hate them, especially my male pug. I usually pu them in the other room or outside when a stranger comes in. But apparantly the insurance company doesnn't care about them because they "aren't a risk" like the boxers, So if I only had the pugs the insurance rate would definitely stay the same. Quite odd.

7. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

8. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

The piranha would be a problem too. In a lot of states they are illegal to own and will be confiscated by the Fish and Game and destroyed plus you'll be fined if they find out you own them.

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Another reason to own Tarantulas, no insurance company is going to call you and ask "How many tarantulas do you own"? [​IMG]

Jay

10. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I have no idea whether boxers should be considered a risky breed, but I think the insurance companies are treating them the same way they treat certain high-powered/high-risk vehicles. Someone may claim they've never had a problem with their Corvette, but that doesn't mean the insurance company is going to waive the surcharge.

11. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Hmmm... It would seem that this behavior is WHY people get dogs in the first place... They bark at strangers. Thus the house doesnt get burglarized. Thus the homeowners insurance doesnt have to pay for the stolen property...

Id find a new insurance company...

12. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Erik beat me to the punch. Dogs are basically alarm systems that are a MUCH smarter than Brinks and the others that you have to pay $40 per month for! [​IMG]

13. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

14. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

So what do you guys want? You want to have an insurance inspector, which is what I do for a living, go to everybody's house that has a dog, make an evealuation on everydog and adjust accordingly. This is an unfortunate situtation. I have spent the last four months doing evaluations in the city of Detroit. I don't know how many times I have had to fight off a dog. The majority of the times it IS Pitt Bulls, and larger dogs. Yesterday I had a home with three boxers that would not let me have access to the back of the home. The dogs were very agressive and turned on each other. The homeowner said he wouldn't go near them to remove them for me.

I firmly believe that it is in how the dogs are treated, however, how are the insurance companies supposed to know the enviroment that the dogs are raised in. I don't really know that there is a right reason. Shouldn't the companies have a right to a higher premium if they percieve a higher risk? I don't know what the answer is, just trying to give a little differnt perspective.

By the way, I do not work directly for any particular company and am not paid directly by these companies. I am an independant contractor and love dogs!!

15. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

If you maintain your right to have a dog, then an insurance company has the right to minimize their risks...... You may be someone who has a lovable pit bull while the guy two blocks down has a maneater...to an insurance company, they are the same.......
    You also have to remember it's the suit- happy people and lawyers who are changing the way insurance companies operate.......

16. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

How does the insurance company know you have dogs? I never had an insurance guy come to my house. ???

17. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I think it was due to them being registered with the town, can't really remember how they were informed.

18. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

That you know of. I do about 35-40 inspections a day. I would say 65% of the people are not home. I only do external inspections for square footage and liability issues as well as what some people might be lying about. So they may know just by this process.

Brandon

19. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Insurance companies are beyond shameless. They will do anything to steal a buck from anybody.

20. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Jason:

They are in business. If you don't like paying the premium for insurance, don't buy insurance.