What's new

Looks like Maverick will head to DVD... (1 Viewer)

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I'd buy myself seasons 2 & 3 for Christmas right now if they were available.

Originally Posted by Steve...O /t/200690/looks-like-maverick-will-head-to-dvd#post_4010948
The first season was a fine release and I'd like to see later ones continue that trend.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Steve...O said:
Releasing these via MOD will be a real disappointment is that is what WHV decides to do.    The first season was a fine release and I'd like to see later ones continue that trend.   CBS/P has released to retail multiple seasons of their westerns (Gunsmoke, Bonanza, HGWT, Rawhide), and for WHV to relegate one of their flagship series to MOD would be a disservice to the show and its fans.
Exactly!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
ScottHM said:
Fantastic news, and I'm glad to see they've kept the price. ---------------
Absolutely great news! And to get this terrific series for a little over a dollar per episode (with pre-order discount) is even better! Thank you WB!

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
As excited as I am about this release, I'm a little disappointed to see the 26 episodes on just six discs. This will put five episodes on two of the DVDs, quite a tight fit unless they're double sided. ---------------

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
ScottHM said:
As excited as I am about this release, I'm a little disappointed to see the 26 episodes on just six discs.  This will put five episodes on two of the DVDs, quite a tight fit unless they're double sided. ---------------
Here is the disk by disk episode listing from our friends at TVShowsonDVD.com: Disc 1: The Day They Hanged Bret Maverick The Lonesome Reunion Alias Bart Maverick The Belcastle Brand Disc 2: High Card Hangs Escape to Tampico The Judas Mask The Jail at Junction Flats Disc 3: The Thirty-Ninth Star Shady Deal at Sunny Acres Island in the Swamp Prey of the Cat Disc 4: The Spanish Doctor Holiday at Hollow Rock Game of Chance Gun-Shy Disc 5: Two Beggars on Horseback The Rivals Duel at Sundown Yellow River The Saga of Waco Williams Disc 6: Brasada Spur Passage to Fort Doom Two Tickets to Ten Strike Betrayal The Strange Journey of Jenny Hill Considering the first season was 27 episodes on 7 disks you would have thought they'd go with 7 disks and have 3 episodes on 2 of them. Oh well. I'll still take this over a MOD release! :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Season 2 takes care of two of the three episodes from the old "sampler" disc. "Shady Deal At Sunny Acres" is the last big gathering of all the great recurring guests of the first couple years (Samantha Crawford, Diamon Jim Buckley etc.) while "Gun Shy" is the hilarious take-off of "Gunsmoke".

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ron Lee Green said:
I just purchased season one for $14.99 with free shipping at the WBshop.com. http://www.wbshop.com/product/maverick+the+complete+first+season+1000265832.do?ogc=yes&from=Search I'm not that familiar with the show and I don't think I've ever seen it in syndication, but I like other westerns from that era like Bat Masterson and the Rifleman, so I'm willing to give it a shot and $15 for 7 discs sounds like a bargain.
Thanks for the WBShop tip. Just ordered season 1 myself.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Does anyone know how many episodes of Maverick that James Garner stars in the Third Season? I just finished watching the second, thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the third, but I understand this is the year he did less than half the season. That could affect my decision whenever this comes out.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Hollywoodaholic said:
Does anyone know how many episodes of Maverick that James Garner stars in the Third Season? I just finished watching the second, thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the third, but I understand this is the year he did less than half the season. That could affect my decision whenever this comes out.

Ain't Wikipedia great?
I count 15 out of the 26.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
So Warner Archive took over the series already. I kind of figured they would eventually, but thought it might not be until S4 when Garner was by then gone but for the one leftover episode. But this will probably mean we'll see the series finished sooner than we would have had WHV continued.

The timing is perfect for me because in the last few weeks I'd finished up S1 at long last and finally cracked open S2 of which I'm now nine episodes from completing. I regret very much the fact that after S2 we no longer see those great guest stars like Efrem Zimbalist's Dandy Jim Buckley (Zimbalist being busy with "77 Sunset Strip" by now) and more importantly, Diane Brewster's Samantha Crawford. She is one of the best written and portrayed female characters of 50s TV I've ever seen and could easily have had her own series IMO if they'd been daring enough.

S2 has been a lot of fun to go through, but I have to take a minute to wonder how in the world an overly dark episode "Prey Of The Cat" wound up in this series. I know the Jack Kelly solo episodes gravitated more toward the serious than Garner's, but this episode *really* puts you through the wringer up to the last second, and part of the reason is one of the most incredible performances of pure psychopathic insanity I've ever seen from guest star Patricia Barry. It's something straight out of Tony Perkins slow nuanced transformation from likability to madness in "Psycho" that is chilling to watch. And then incredibly, six weeks later, there's Barry again in another role as a Samantha Crawford style sidekick to both Maverick brothers in the comically light (and typical for the show) "Beggars On Horseback" (and it's a testament to how good an actress she is that he handles these different parts in these wildly disparate episodes perfectly so that thankfully while enjoying "Beggars" you don't recall her chilling performance of "Prey").

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks