What's new

Looks like it will be a Superman/Batman team up movie for 2004... (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Christopher Reeve was also really skinny when he was cast as Superman. He had the height, but he was really lean. At one point the producers even suggested making a padded suit for him to make him look bigger, just as had been done with George Reeves for the television show in the '50s.

Reeve decided to bulk up and look more the part, so the producers hired David Prowse (Darth Vader in the OT) to oversee Reeve's transformation. Reeve ended up putting on more than 20 pounds of muscle and, as the saying goes, the rest is history.

I think if Law is cast that they may opt for the same solution to his small frame. I'm sure by the time filming begins, Law will look more the part.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
But what would they do about his height? I guess they could cast short people all they way around.:D

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
That's true. ;)
Still, in the end, I think Law could end up being a very good Superman. After all, not a lot of people thought that Michael Keaton could pull off Batman and he's now the guy that we most associate the character with on the big screen. I know Superman is a totally different character, but I think Law can do it.
Just think, Tim Burton wanted to cast Ralph Fiennes as the Man of Steel before WB stuck with Nicolas Cage a few years back. Imagine what that movie would've looked like.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If he does well in the part and has atleast the build for Superman in the flick, then no one will worry about the height issue. Hell, Keaton's way too short to be Batman, but whatever problems you may have about the movie, he still made a damn good batman. As Chuck pointed out, the thing that will make or break this film at this point is the script.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thank goodness! Holding out hope for some better casting choices by WB. I'm afraid it's going to be salary-related, and we're not going to get the best choice for either parts.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
They may be taking the Superman mythos to a different area, too. Not all of the comics interepreted Superman as a giant mound of muscle. That is mostly a Kids WB version as done by Dini and Timm. Some comics (in fact, a fun series about Superman and Batman as young men when they first meet) has them both as kind of lean. I mean, Superman is just this guy who under our sun has superpowers but on Krypton, he may have had sand kicked in his face...which makes his "disguise" as Clark Kent all the more reasonable. Size (I hate to say it) doesn't matter. Acting chops does matter and Ferrel and Law are great.

Here's hoping it is amazing.

Phil

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
How about:
Superman:Bill Cudup
Batman:Colin Farrell
The Joker:Ray Liotta
Harley Quinn: Sheryl lee
Lex Luthor: Vincent D'Onofrio(or Thomas Jane)
Lois Lane: Linda Florentino

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
While the source is debateable, Countingdown.com is reporting that the writer of A Beatiful Mind, Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin has been hired to do rewrites on Batman vs. Superman. Akiva Goldsman, can't you stop fucking up potentially good superhero movies for WB?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
That cant possibly be true! They cant be that stupid.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
:eek:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, with Goldman having an Oscar for screenplay, it does lend some credibility among those putting up the money, but B&R was one of the more horrible super-hero scripts every filmed.
For Lois Lane, I wouldn't mind seeing Sarah Clarke (Nina on 24), or even Jennifer Connelly (but I doubt she wants to be the love interest in super hero movies as a career). I think Linda Florentino is bit too dark and focused and scary to play Lois.
They should get Michael Duncan Clark to play Lex Luthor (why not?) :) Hell, shave off Ed Norton's hair, and let him have a go at the role.
Luke Wilson has the jawline for Superman, but he's probably physically also a lightweight.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
It is confirmed that Akiva Goldsmith is NOT involved with the script. The original guy is still doing it. And Jude Law & Collin Farrell are in the final group of actors up for the role of supes and bats. This according to a rep from Wolfgang Petersons office mentioned at www.cinescape.com

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Sigh...
Jude Law as Superman. What a mistake that's going to be.
He doesn't have the look. Period. Take any Superman Comic book (regardless of the artist), and put it next to a picture of Law, and what do you get? Conflict.
Law is too Lean. Too short. Doesn't have the facial features (Supes is very chiseled and striking, while Law is just... a prettyboy). Doesn't have the HAIRLINE!!!
Let's face it. Jude Law has got the widow's peaks on his forehead - he's losing his hair. This is very reminicient of a Nick Cage discussion I had with someone while that project was still a go.
Half the effect of any comic book movie is the look - you've gotta be able to identify a character to a role, and in the case of the very VISUAL medium of comic books, Superman/Clark Kent has a look. Jude Law does not even begin to fit that criteria!
Chris Reeve looked like Superman (circa 1978).
Hugh Jackman looks like Wolverine.
Toby McGuire looks like Peter Parker.
Patrick Stewart looks like Charles Xavier.
Halle Berry looks like Storm (although I think Angela Bassett would have been a better choice).
etc.
I agree with one of the previous comments concerning this movie. Transition Tom Welling into the role of Superman. Have Smallville lead into the movie somehow. If necessary, postpone the movie until the Smallville series has completed, and use the movie to springboard a new "Metropolis" series with Welling as the main character. You've already got a built-in cast!
Why keep alternating between actors, themes, looks, and characters. Keep it simple, accurate, and sensible!
And is it just me, or would Brent Spiner (Data) make the perfect Joker?!?
Moe.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Todd as much as I wish it were true, the Cinescape article doesn't shoot down the Akiva Goldsman rumor. The Cinema Confidential article it lists as the source shoots down th casting rumor but supports the Akiva Goldsman rumor. Let's hope they're both wrong:
Yesterday, not one but TWO sources (Ain't it Cool News - http://www.aintitcool.com and JoBlo.com - http://www.joblo.com) claimed that Colin Farrell and Jude Law had been cast as Batman and Superman respectively.
However, an e-mail from Warner Bros. early yesterday evening said the following: "The roles have NOT been cast yet. They are still seeing other actors in casting next week. Jude Law and Colin Farrell are very definitely in the running but nothing has been locked yet."
The story made its rounds due to the fact that two major film sites both claimed the same rumor on two separate occassions.
Time will tell in the future...
In other gossip, Batman on Film (http://www.batman-on-film.com) is reporting that Academy Award winning screenwriter Akiva Goldsman ("A Beautiful Mind") may be brought on board to rewrite the script currently being scripted by Andrew Kevin Walker. Batman fans know Goldsman as the writer who forever wrecked 1997's "Batman & Robin."

clemente

Agent
Chris Reeve looked like Superman (circa 1978).
Hugh Jackman looks like Wolverine.
Toby McGuire looks like Peter Parker.
Patrick Stewart looks like Charles Xavier.
Halle Berry looks like Storm (although I think Angela Bassett would have been a better choice).
etc.
I agree on all counts.
However, with the exception of Stewart who was practically born to play Xavier....how many of these would you say were evident before the movie began filming and was released.

Maguire and Jackman pretty much sent every comic book/film geek into a tizzy "he's too tall/scrawny/danzig would have been better" down to the most vile of places AICN talkback "Maguire/jackman suck....blah, blah, blah."

What was proven in both cases is that some weight training and most importantly, good actors behind the mask, are whats needed. Not a 1:1 comic to film appearance relationship.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Not all of the comics interepreted Superman as a giant mound of muscle.
Almost all, at least the important comic books do have Superman as musclar, tall man. He doesn't have to be a hulking figure, but he definitely need at least the kind of muscle mass Reeves had. It won't happen with Law. But there are more problems than just the physique.

Well, that's my opinion. Not that it matters.

James T

Screenwriter
I like the idea of Tom Welling as Superman (even if it is gonna take a couple years). But if they decide otherwise, that will make what, 6 different Supermen in the last 15 years (2 voice actors for animated). And regarding voice actors, get Mark Hamillas the Joker...if everyone is complaining about height, then Hamill will balance things out.
For Batman, I liked Val Kilmer. He was and still is the only decent actor who can/should play Batman and phsyically matches Bats. The guy has gymnastics and martial arts training.
But from the front runners in this pic, I like Christian Bale, although I only saw him in American Psycho, that's all the convincing I need that Bale can play a disturbed tortured soul.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
For Batman, I liked Val Kilmer. He was and still is the only decent actor who can/should play Batman and phsyically matches Bats. The guy has gymnastics and martial arts training.
I have to agree. Val Kilmer was a damn good Batman. Far, far better than George Clooney and at least the equal of Michael Keaton.

Greg Jolley

Auditioning
Well let's face it, Nic Cage would never have been able to pull off a role like Superman. He always looks hung over. And he's boring. Thomas Jane was a good call by the way. And Kevin Smith did write Superman Lives and had his idea about using Brainiac ripped off.
I'd like to see Darren Aronofsky do Batman:Year One cause Joel Schumacher ruined the series. He always seems to do that. The man couldn't direct street traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks