Looks like i'll have to build the sub myself!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Malloy, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Max Malloy

Max Malloy Stunt Coordinator

I just realised that an SVS 16-46PCi will cost me over $1200CDN after shipping and taxes. That's insane, i can't afford that. But if i were to get something cheaper, my bass wouldn't be as high quality as the rest of my system. So looks like i'm stuck building a sonotube if i want a quality subwoofer.

I have three gigantic hardware stores right near my house, and my dad is a supervisor at a construction company, so getting tools and materials shouldn't be a problem. I also have a basement that is undergoing some construction work, so i don't have to worry about turning everything upside-down and making a mess.

However, there are a few things i'm worried about. First, i've never done this before and have no idea how to build a sonotube subwoofer. I'm thinking something tall, black, and with an external amp. But i don't know where to get the schematics. Is there an "approved" schematic out there that i know will turn out a great piece of equipment?

Also, if this is my first subwoofer, will it be good? How will it look and how will it sound? Oh, and how long will it take me to build it? Some people say it takes months, others call it a weekend project. I like the latter a lot more, but is it true?

And finally, how much is everything going to cost me? I'm not sure what woofer i want to get, but i've heard good things about Shiva. Is it still the best? If not, what is, and how much does it cost? How much will i spend on materials and the amp?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

They are not hard to build. Check out Patrick Sun's website and mine. If you follow those cunstruction techniques and make sure everything is sealed well it will sound awesome.

As for appearance depends entirely on your patience, attention to detail and a little bit on how much you spend on the finish.

As for time to build, first project I doubt you'll manage to get it done in a single weekend. Two weekends (and a little work here and there in the evenings between) should be easy if you plan half decently. It will also depend a little on what type of paint job for the end caps you decide on. Took two weeks to build my Tempest. Took me 2 days my second time around with the Twins.

As for cost. Tempest, AVA250 and all construction materials would be in the $700-$750CDN range when all is said and done. Dayton DVC12", PE 300-792 and all construction materials would be in the $500-$550CDN range.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

If you want mind-numbing photo-documentation to give you a flavor of what you need to worry about, feel free to peruse my DIY project link in my signature below, of Dustin's above.
    Be creative on the exterior if that's a priority (obviously not one for me). [​IMG]
    Anyone got that Canadian distributor of Adire products handy?

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Oops, almost forgot about him.
    http://www.creativesound.ca/
    That should cut down the cost a little bit (shipping and brokerage anyways).

5. Nick_Shah

Nick_Shah Stunt Coordinator

Tool cost may be prohibitive, depending on what you have available to you. Also, where are you located? Are you near Toronto? If so, I know of several excellent electronics supply stores downtown that stock a boatload of DIY-type stuff. Excellent prices on wires, connectors, speaker grilles, etc.

Although I haven't tested my DIY sub yet, it was not difficult to build. I carefully studied both Dustin's and Patrick's respective websites and had a clear mental plan of what I had to do. I bought the amp, Shiva and port early, and started shopping for construction materials early Saturday morning. I worked for an average of 4-6 hours per day from Saturday until Thursday morning. That's it! I have some woodworking experience, but not a great deal.

A sonosub is not difficult to construct, you just have to be a little meticulous at times.

I hope this helps,

-Nick

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I was once in the same spot as you Max. I could get commercail subs at super low prices, but I wanted more out of my sub than just bass, personal satisfaction. I ordered a Shiva, AVA250, and FP4 port kit from Kyle at Acoustic Visions, and he was a great help, highly recomended. Consider going with a Shiva if the size of the box is an issue, and if not, then by all means, go with a tempest. Even in a sealed box around 122L the tempest is gonna shine. Have fun with the project, don't rush it, and the results will be worht all your while. Good luck.

7. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Whoa, I just found myself spending over an hour at your site, Patrick. [​IMG] Good stuff.

8. Max Malloy

Thanks for the info guys, i'll start reading next week. [​IMG] Surprised it's so expensive though, i thought i'd have to spend about $500 on materials.
    Hey Cam, you wouldn't still know how to get commercial subs at super low prices, would you? [​IMG]

9. Max Malloy

Checked out Pat's Sonosub III page and he says he only spent $295 for the driver and materials. That's roughly $475CDN. Where did $750CDN come from?
    Oh and Nick, i'd like the info on those stores please. Believe it or not, i live in To. [​IMG]

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Obviously the amp to drive the beast.

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Pat's got it, the amp costs more than the driver. You can cut the costs down quite a bit if you go with the Dayton DVC15" and the PE300-794 (you give up a small amount of Vd though, but not a lot). I also spent more on mounting hardware and threaded rods than I needed too on my Tempest. And shipping, brokerage and taxes take a nice bite into you as well.
    I have complete cost breakdowns on my webpage for both projects. Actual costs to an actual Canadian [​IMG] The $700-$750 is what I figure I could do it for knowing what I know now. My actual cost was $830 first time around. Still cheaper than I could get a PW2200 for when all was said and done, and my Tempest trounces that little sub.