What's new

looks like I need contacts or glasses, advice? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure there's people with both here. :)
here's the story, went in to renew my FAA flight medical and couldn't quite get my right eye up for a 1st class medical, but they're ok for a third (can't do with a third)
so I need to get it up to 20/20, but my eyes aren't that bad, so I'm not sure if I should just get glasses and only wear them when I fly and for the exams, but that causes a sunglass problem, and I like good sunglasses :)
or maybe some disposable contacts?
I haven't gone to the doc yet, still need to talk to the flight surgeon for his opinion, but what about cost? clearly disposable contacts will cost more than glasses over time, but I hear they're cheaper in the long run compared to regular contacts because of the cleaning and maintenance.
so.. after I get glasses I get to go back and be molested by the doc AGAIN. AND HE DOESN'T WEAR GLOVES
frown.gif

[Edited last by Philip_G on October 05, 2001 at 05:37 PM]

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
but that causes a sunglass problem, and I like good sunglasses
You can get your prescription in sunglasses too. And with pretty much any frame you want. I know guys that have some (expensive) prescription Ray Bans that are very nice. Personally I have a thing about putting stuff in my eyes. I can't even put in eye drops without going insane. Just talking about it makes my eyes water. So, when the day comes, I'll be getting glasses.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
quote: AND HE DOESN'T WEAR GLOVES[/quote]
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
..... (shudder)...
As for glasses. I found out that I had mildly bad eyesight when I went to get my first driver's license. Tried the disposable contact route: Being in high school at the time I absolutely did not want glasses. Well, I don't know if contacts are any better nowadays, but they sucked. They were a pain in the ass to get in. Took me at least half an hour to get them in, and another hour or more to get them out. Really sucked when my eyes hurt at the end of the day and I couldn't get the little f***ers out.
I switched to glasses and absolutely love 'em. You can get yourself a pair of prescription sunglasses if you want. I bought a pair of regular glasses with "clip-on" sunglasses. Actually, there are little magnets in the hinges of the glasses and coresponding magnets on the sunglasses, so they just pop on. It's very difficult to tell they're not just plain old sunglasses - they're not the typical ugly clip-on type. They're actually quite fashionable, I have to say that I look damn cool in them. At least, I like to think so...
wink.gif

Good luck!!
------------------
-Ryan ( http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

[Edited last by Ryan Wright on October 05, 2001 at 06:09 PM]

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I love my disposable contacts. I get a three-month supply from my optometrist for $65. I put them in, I don't have to take them out at night, leave them in for a week, take them out and soak them overnight, put them back in for another week, then toss them, and start all over again.
Obviously, glasses will be cheaper over time, but then again, they'll get scratched, broken, bent, etc., and you might have to replace them eventually. Not to mention the sunglasses problem, which can be remedied by either getting some clip-on sunglasses (some actually look pretty good), or getting some prescription sunglasses.
I started out with non-disposable contacts a little over ten years ago, wore them exclusively for a few years, but always had problems with them. I would leave them in at night, instead of taking them out to soak them, because I was (and still am) a lazy bastard :), and they would start irritating my eyes. And of course I'd lose one every once in a while or would tear one, or something like that, and they were just an overall pain-in-the-ass.
Switched from disposable contacts to glasses and back and forth for awhile (probably a good seven or eight years), and while glasses were easier than contacts, for reasons I mentioned above, I always had my problems with them. I've been wearing disposables exclusively for maybe a year or so now and am very happy. Haven't had any eye problems, even leaving them in every night for a week straight, and I've lost one and torn another one, and it's no big deal. I think they come out to be around $6 each.
Plus, only nerds wear glasses.
biggrin.gif

-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Being in high school at the time I absolutely did not want glasses. Well, I don't know if contacts are any better nowadays, but they sucked. They were a pain in the ass to get in. Took me at least half an hour to get them in, and another hour or more to get them out. Really sucked when my eyes hurt at the end of the day and I couldn't get the little f***ers out.
Same exact thing here. I found out I had bad eyesight in eighth grade, and there was no way I was wearing glasses. So I started with the contacts, and man, for at least two or three weeks after I got them, I absolutely dreaded having to put them in in the morning and take them out at night. I was horrible at it! I actually had to get up about thirty minutes early for school because that's how long it would take me to put the damn things in.
After a while, I got a lot better at it and each one would only take me a few seconds to put in and take out. I think it's either practice--just getting used to putting a foreign object in your eye with your own finger(s), or yeah, the contacts have gotten better since then (this was the late eighties). I know I have had 100% better luck with my disposables I'm using now versus the non-disposables I was using then. . .
Ah, on second thought, here's some better advice: Screw contacts and glasses. Get Lasik surgery.
biggrin.gif

-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I've been wearing soft contacts for 25 years. I never switched over to disposables because a pair of daily wear lenses cost $75 and last me for three years. Yes I have to take them out and clean them each evening, but it takes less time than brushing my teeth so it's no big deal.
Whether you get diposables or daily wear lenses, you really can't beat the peripheral vision you get with contact lenses. It's as if you don't have lenses at all, just your natural vision. You just don't get that with glasses.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The horror stories about how long it takes to put in and take out contacts are atypical. I had that kind of trouble at first, but after a bit of practice, I got over it. Now it takes me all of 10 seconds to put them in and 5 seconds to take them out (which I do every night). It takes two minutes to clean them, and I'm done.
I find them very convenient, and the overall vision quality and peripheral vision are better than ANY glasses (which I still wear sometimes at home).

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I also use disposable contacts. I find I can keep them in for about a month without taking them out at all. I am even lazier than Matt. :) I just put a few drops of saline solution in my eyes every morning to moisten them up it works great. It is almost not like wearing contacts at all.
I used to wear daily wears but they would always get dirty real easy no matter how carefully you handle them they are going to get dirty after a while if you take them out every night.
As far as how long it takes to put them in and remove them it started out taking me about thirty minutes also but that goes away after about a month of using them. I can now insert and remove them very quickly. So don't let that scare you off about contacts.
Kevin C. :)
[Edited last by Kevin Coleman on October 05, 2001 at 07:49 PM]

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just be thankful you don't have to wear Hubble-size lenses like me!
biggrin.gif

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had glasses from third grade until I was 16; I've been wearing gas-perm contacts since then (I'm 30). Here's some thoughts:
Soft contacts (never worn them) are generally the most comfortable contacts, but much more delicate. They need to replaced every six months to 2 years, I believe
Gas-Permeable Contacts are semi-rigid, and so less comfortable than soft, but they allow for better correction of astigmatism. But once I adjusted to them, I've found them to be comfortable. Also, they are very durable. If you take care of them, and your prescription doesn't change, they can last many years.
Disposable / 24 hr wear / extended wear - definitely talk with a doctor before getting these. I don't know the current versions, but they have a history of increased rate of problems, causing infections, etc. Disposable are simpler, more likely more costly.
The 'poking around your eye' issue is quickly overcome. When it's a normal & necessary part of life, you get used to it. (A little like how people with diabetes can deal with needles *shudder*). In fact, it's good for me. I often get eyelashes falling into my eye, and I have to root around in there to get them out :)
The three downsides of contacts:
1) Can't sleep in them
2) Require daily care; glasses can just be tossed aside
3) Minor problems (dust in eye, fogged contact, etc.) more difficult to deal with than with glasses.
Upsides:
1) Better peripheral vision. Glasses have a physical limit contacts cover your pupil, so you see like 'normal'. Of course, the limits will vary with glasses design.
2) Aesthetics (I look better without glasses; can wear sunglass :) )
3) Rain, snow, fogging generally non-issue compared to glasses
My suggestion:
If you need to wear glasses or contacts full time, get whatever you're most comfortable with. I like contacts; others prefer glasses
If you deal with hostile environments, get what works best in the situation. Wet, foggy, temparture swings shifts -- contacts. Windy, dusty, dirty, or freedom to remove contacts when necessary -- glasses.
If you will only need it infrequently, get glasses. You can skip the adjustment period contacts require. Glasses are simpler. You can get auto-darkening glasses, or prescription glasses. You can get multiple pairs to keep where you need them (if you are forgetful).
Finally, most contact wearers have glasses as well, just in case, convenience, backup, etc.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wear extended contacts, but I take them out every night.
I would advocate not sleeping in your disposeable contacts if you can help it, your risk for eye infections increase, and it's just plain not healthy for your eyes.
And it doesn't take too long to get the in-and-out once you set up your own way of putting them in and takin them out, and get used to them.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I've been wearing disposables for at least 9 years now and they are by far the best because if you rip one you can just put in another. And, I take them out every night so you can definitely extend the period you use them depending on how much protein is in your tears.
For someone who travels alot, disposables are the way to go. My sister who travels 2 out of 4 weeks a month uses daily disposables but I just use the two week variety and stretch them to 4 weeks or so.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection
Patrick The 69th most popular name for boys according to the Social Security Administration.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hrm.
I'm still not sure :)
guess we'll see what the flight doc has to say about it, but I doubt he'll make up my mind for me.
a big factor in the decision is the BRAND NEW set of 150$ ray bans I just bought last week
frown.gif

I'm thinking disposable contacts, because I'll probably only wear them days that I'm flying, my vision is OK but 20/20 is required for a 1st class medical... and in reality maybe I could get away with a contact in one eye, because the other tests out OK.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I've been considering getting contacts (I'm really sick of wearing glasses -- that and the fact that they aren't exactly "cool" if you go clubbing sometimes like I do). How much should I expect to pay for contacts?
------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Bear in mind that your vision may be slightly different with contacts and specs. I'm near-sighted and wear specs most of the time because my close-up vision is better with them. I work in a large IT office and the air tends to get a bit dry. This is not good for contacts and will have you scratching your eyes out by the end of the day.
However when I go out (socially) I tend to wear contacts (one-day disposables - no way I'd wear ones that stay in overnight). They don't steam up, then don't get knocked off, they banish that 'geeky' image glasses can sometimes give and I also find my middle-distance sight is better with them.
I also use contacts when I go to the gym. When you're on the treadmill, or the bike, or the weights, the last thing you want is specs slipping down your nose or getting steamed from sweat. Horrible, horrible, horrible! I pop the contacts in and have no problems at all. I even wear them while swimming, though you have to get a good pair of swim goggles. Having chlorinated water in your eyes when wearing contacts is NOT good.
Contacts are great, but I cannot wear them all the time.
[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on October 06, 2001 at 05:17 AM]

Julie K

Screenwriter
I've been wearing contacts for over 25 years now. I first had hard lenses, then switched over to rigid gas permeables when they were developed. I'm very happy with them. They do not require the fussing with that soft lenses require and they last just about forever (or until your prescription changes
wink.gif
). Most of the time I don't even know I've got them in my eye and even stuff like dirt in my eye doesn't bother as much it used to. Just don't ever sleep with contacts of any type.
------------------
My DVDs
"Well, that's it then. You must have tripped over the cat."
"Where did it come from? There's nothing up there but ceiling. I love how these animals just fall straight into your hands. I mean, what do they do? Hang upside-down by their claws and wait for people to pass by?"

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Contacts may have some good advantages, but I couldn't get used to them. I had 20/20 through school, but became nearsighted afterwards because I worked for several years using a microscope for 8-10 hours a day, 6-7 days a week.
I tried contacts because of the assumed "nerdy look" with glasses, and absolutely hated them. I went back to glasses and prefer them over contacts. If you look hard enough, you can find glasses that look good on you plus you can get clip-on or magnetic sunglass lenses to go with them. In my case, I look better with my glasses on.
I'm nearsighted enough that I have to wear my glases to watch my HT (40" widescreen monitor about 6' from my sofa), so I wear them all the time. Lightweight frames with plastic lenses, you don't even know you're wearing them. Plus, my lenses are scratch-resistant. I've dropped them a few times on asphalt and ceramic tile. I once had a lens pop out while playing baseball (those headfirst slides into 3rd base can be dangerous
wink.gif
), but I popped it back in with no problem. To correct the problem of them sliding down your nose when sweating, you can have legs put on them which wrap around behind your ears and hold your frames in place.
The only issue I have with my glasses is the fog-up factor. But that only happens once or twice a year, so it's no biggie.
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=mport_drivrCasa del Clint

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I have been wearing glasses ever since I was 6 years old, and they don't bother me in the least bit, maybe it is because I have been wearing them soo long (12 years
eek.gif
) but I have never tried contacts and dont think I ever will... I suffer from terrible astigmatism and a weak left eye. Last year I got a pair of (really expensive) polarized Oaklies.... personally, I would suggest getting glasses if you just wanna throw them on and go (IE: Just when flying). Plus you don't have to worry about losing a contact while flying (this happened to my dad and he almost crashed a couple of years back, luckily he had his extra pair of glasses with him).
------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'm v. short-sighted, and used to have really thick lenses, but then I discovered that you can get special and much thinner lenses. They cost more (something like (100 pounds more in the UK, so this probably converts to an extra 5 cents in the US) but they're worth it. Likewise you can get prescription sunglasses (UK opticians will often throw in a free pair of prescription sunglasses alongside your ordinary pair). Incidentally, if you play lots of sport you can get prescription swimming goggles and 'sports glasses' (specially reinforced shatter-proof lenses). Having seen what happened to a badminton player's eye when it got hit with a shuttlecock and she was wearing a contact lens at the time, trust me, you wouldn't want to wear contacts ever again. Even without this little anecdote, I doubt I'd wear them. I just think that the health risks are too great with contacts. Yes, I know that they only affect a small proportion of users, but knowing my luck, I'd be one of the unlucky ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks