What's new

Looks like another petition is in order....Disney goes fullscreen only? (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
We're not going to get anywhere with online or email petitions. Handwritten letters are the only thing that they are really going to pay attention to.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
At a robust 86 minutes I would have a hard time believing that they won't include both on the same disc.

-Chad

Except of course that Disney/Buena Vista has only released a handful of DVDs with both viewing formats on the same disc, and most of those were animation titles with little or no extras on that disc. They haven't done this for any live-action "Disney" titles that they themselves have released. I hope you're right, and I hope the site is right, since choice is always better than no choice.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't get too panic over this yet. Disney DVD has a good track record and there been Pan and Scam scares from them in the past, but turned out false(Sister Act, Swiss Family Robinson, etc.), so just wait until we get word from a good source, like DVD File or Digtial Bit.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't get too panic over this yet. Disney DVD has a good track record and there been Pan and Scam scares from them in the past, but turned out false(Sister Act, Swiss Family Robinson, etc.), so just wait until we get word from a good source, like DVD File or Digtial Bit.
"Taking Care of Business" and "Three Men and a Little Lady" (the sequel) are going to be Pan & Scan only releases. I'm not saying you should panic, because there are other titles that will be OAR (namely the four old classic Disney titles - which I've never assumed to be anything but) and anamorphic where applicable (Dick Tracy, Ruthless People. Disney's current plan is to release Max Keeble and Snow Dogs in P & S only. But we can definitely no longer assume that Disney will do OAR-only releases as they have in the past.
You've been warned. :)

AaronJB

Second Unit
According to the back of the box that I have here (haven't opened it yet) "Three Men and a Baby"'s in 1.85:1 and has DD 5.1.

Disney's new edition of "Tin Men" - out next week - even has a major commentary track (according to the back, haven't opened that yet, either) with: director Levinson, the producer, Barbara Hershey, Richard Dreyfuss, Bruno Kirby, Seymour Cassel, John Mahoney and the costume designer.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have gotten word from Disney that the current plan is for Max Keeble's Big Move and Snow Dogs to be Full Frame only. I can't name my source, but I can say it's not just a sales rep. It is someone who I would think would have more current information than a sales rep. So get your letters, e-mails and phone calls in.

Sorry for doubting you Luke. I trust that you got your info from the same source.

So, now the question remains, should we start a petition, or letter writing campaign?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
So, now the question remains, should we start a petition, or letter writing campaign?
With regards to this, I think that calling the 1-800 number is by far the best route to take. If you don't want to call, write a letter then. Disney needs to get the message that they'll be losing money this way (that's how they'll listen)...and having everyone individually call is a lot more effective than which seems to be the commonplace of submitting a petition. (Not to take away from the petition efforts at all - I support them 100%!)

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator
Several posts are saying that Disney released DVD`s in OAR only. I have to say that already Princess Diaries released last December was available in two versions. Widescreen and Fullscreen. I believe this may be a route which Disney is taking. Maybe Snow Dogs will be released in two separate versions? But then the release date of Snow Dogs is still two months away and i don`t believe that Snow Dogs is only in Fullscreen.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Back in 1993, right before I broke down and bought a laserdisc player, I wrote to Disney's home video department urging them to put out "Aladdin" in widescreen format on VHS. I argued that I was a poor college student who couldn't afford to buy an LD player but still shouldn't be denied proper presentation on VHS. I got a form letter back which seemed to completely ignore that point- it said "Letterbox has not been accepted by the general public; laserdiscs are letterboxed because they tend to be purchased by customers who appreciate the technical accuracy that letterboxing provides." They sent me a free VHS tape of "Donald in Mathmagic Land" with it though.

A few months after that I relented and got an LD player, which is why I would be REALLY pissed if Disney decided to go pan and scan-only on DVD, since they're no longer making laserdiscs!

I can't see them doing an audio commentary for "Max Keeble's Big Move" and DTS for a pan-and-scan version, but stupider things have happened....

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
So, from this Tuesday's releases, "Taking Care of Business" and "Three Men and a Little Lady" are confirmed MAR-only releases. :thumbsdown:
All others should be widescreen and anamorphic, I think.

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
Disney is definately going the wrong way, over here in the Benelux region Atlantis and Sleeping Beauty will be released in full frame only, all dvd websites over here have started a petition to protest. And then they wonder why all dvd enthusiasts import their dvd's, go figure...

Lafe F

Second Unit
I'm slightly upset the region 2 UK Sleeping Beauty was released in pan-and-scan only -- and makes me a bit concerned they might try that with the region 1 when it gets released.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Well, Disney's new policy is to release those titles which strictly appeal to young people in Pan & Scan only. Sleeping Beauty is an animated classic, and I do believe we'll see the film in both formats since it has more universal appeal...perhaps even an OAR-only release, but I doubt it would only be MAR in Region 1.
However, the live action titles that are unreleased look like they will suffer. :frowning: :thumbsdown:

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Jesse,
I feel invisible. ;) I had posted that same link and copied and pasted the info about 10 post ups... :frowning:
-Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks