Looks good on paper

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Joe_Woytasik, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Joe_Woytasik

Joe_Woytasik Auditioning

Basically I have been lurking around these boards for a few months and have been researching my next purchase. I am looking for a sub that hits really nice and low like 20hz. My question is do alot of companies lie about there specs? I seem to see alot of subs at best buy (yamaha yst315 for instance) that claim to hit around 20hz. My cousin owns a car stereo shop and they just started selling home audio so he doesnt know much yet. I auditioned the DCM subs that they carry and they sound good, but I am leary to purchase anything except svs after reading this board. Please someone help me out here I dont exactly have a ton of money, someone explain to me what the paper specs really mean.

2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Note that Yamaha use +/- 10dB. Used as a means of elevating the sub on paper.

For instance..

SVS 20-39 PC Plus +/- 3dB 20-100hz
    Yamaha sub, +/- 10dB 20-100hz.

Look the same eh?

Yamaha subs are not that great. There are so many other subs that are in a totally different league (SVS, M&K, Velodyne, Rel, HSU)

3. Joe_Woytasik

Joe_Woytasik Auditioning

Any suggestions on a good subwoofer? I have been looking at the dayton 10" for 125 how deep will a sub like this go?

4. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Pardigm also makes a decent sub. I can vouche for that. If I had not bought this Paradigm PW-2200, I would have bought one of the SVS subs.

5. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

It's not going to produce 20hz at any reasonable output levels, thats for sure! [​IMG]

I'd probably guess it goes down to around 40hz in freespace and 30hz in a smaller room, but thats dependent on a lot of factors...

6. Joe_Woytasik

Joe_Woytasik Auditioning

See this is what I dont understand, they say on the parts express website that the lower end goes to 25hz. I just want a good sub for movies that wont break the bank.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

So what's the bank look like? Have you considered used?

8. Joe_Woytasik

Joe_Woytasik Auditioning

lets say 500 tax and shipping included. I have been looking over the adire rava any others that i should know about.

9. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Hsu STF-2 would fit your budget.

10. John S

John S Producer

velodyne CHT-15 can be found for $500 or so.