1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to upgrade to a new reciever more channels ATMOS ect.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Craig Ball, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Looking at the Marantz SR6011, I know its already an older model, but i like that with an external amp you can go up to 11 channels, Seems to have all of the newer goodies like DTS-X and ATMOS HDCP 2.2 ect. Was just curious is it missing anything that I might regret soon down the road? Got the new 4k TV, thats why i'm looking.

2. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

What nobody?

3. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    If you're thinking about external amps then why buy an integrated receiver? I've personally never understood the logic for this, especially if you have a larger room. For about the same money you could buy a nice Pre/Pro and get much better performance. Remember, that 110WPC is measured with only two channels driven. With 11 channels, it will be much less.

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I'm totally a separates guy, but it can make sense, especially with how many channels systems can have these days. You can use a receiver to drive all the surround channels, then use an external 3 channel amp to drive the front three, which have by far the greatest power demands. Of course, what really doesn't make sense is that a lot of people use the receiver to power the front three speakers, and an external to power the additional surrounds. I think some receivers don't allow you to run the front three from an external amp, which is just stupid.

Having said that, I did that for several years during a transition into HD audio, and I was never able to get my surrounds to truly blend with the front. Once I added an external amp of the same design as the one I used for the front, it was like flipping a switch and I was able to get everything to blend perfectly. I was very surprised how much of a difference it made, but all my speakers, including the surrounds, are 4 Ohm, so the amps in the receiver were probably just not up to the task.

John Dirk likes this.
  5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm using my Yamaha 3060 receiver to power my four Dolby Atmos speakers while using my external Outlaw 7140 Amp to drive my three main speakers and four surround speakers.

John Dirk likes this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Personally, if you could swing it, I would go with the SR7011. What type of external amp (number of channels) are you looking at?

7. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    I have basically the same setup. Acurus 200x3 powering the front stage and the Outlaw 7140 powering pretty much everything else. Since that left me 1 channel short of 11, I added a HK 2000 which powers one of the height channels. Not exactly ideal but it seems to work.

8. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

The reciever was gonna be the big investment for now. wouldn't be able to add amps for quite a while.