What's new

looking to upgrade receiver (1 Viewer)

GaryMil

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently running a Denon 2801(used as a pre-amp) into a Sherbourn 5/1500a which is powering a pair of B&W CDM7se's,a CDMCse Center, B&W Rock solids(rears). The sub is a SVS 25-31 PCI.

I also have a pair of Rockustic Pavorockies by the pool that need to be powered.

I know the weaklink in the chain is the 2801 and have even tho it does sound quite good in both Home theater and music, I want to upgrade to Pro Logic II.

I want to keep the replacement under 1k, hopefully under $750.00.

I've been looking at the NAD T752,(but I'm not sure if it can power a second pair of speakers), A denon 3802 or 3803, and some pre-amps, (outlaw,Rotel). I really don't have the room for another amp to power the outdoor speakers so I would like to stay with a reciever.

The system would probably be 60% HT and 40% music.

Any suggestions?

GaryMil

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the feedback guys. :rolleyes:
I've been seriously looking at the HK 520 also. Can be had for about $475 and seems to have most of the options that I want, including preamp ins. Anybody using it as a pre-amp?
So now I'm considering the follwing:
HK 520 $475.
Denon 3802/1082 $650-700
Nad T752 $689
Outlaw 950 $899 + cost of a 2 channel amp.
Anybody have any feedback regarding these units. Remember the internal amps are not that important at this point.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hi Gary,

Sorry I missed you the first time around. Sounds like you have a nice system as is but I understand the desire for newer features.

All of your choices are very good but of course the 950 added in would make the greatest difference in sound IMO. I know that doesn't help with the extra speakers so another amp would be necessary. And if you really don't have the room for another amp then so be it.

Of the remaining choices the 520 is the least expensive and in some ways the most flexible due to the Main-ins. The bonus is Logic-7 which many think superior to DPL2. Purely soundwise however, especially 2 channel, I would go for the NAD. Even though the 3802 has features up the whazoo and a legion of fans and I personally am a die-hard H/K fan, I believe you would be able to appreciate the difference from your 2801 the most with the NAD. (Leaving the 950 out of the picture.) JMO.

GaryMil

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Paul. The sound quality of the NAD was impressive, but it doesn't have a multisource option. This can be overcome with a speaker a/b switch tho. The HK 520 is tempting. At $475 it seems like a no-brainer. I was on the 950 list for quite sometime, and Steve Simon was kind enough to give me a demo of it at his home. It did sound awesome, but he also had an awesome system, so almost anything would sound great.

The 2801 does a good job as a pre/pro, but I do watch a lot of TV via DirecTV and would like to have prologic II, thus my desire to upgrade.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Well then save yourself some money and get the 520 while it's being closed out. Both L-7 and DPL2 to choose from...great sound all around although not as many decoding options as the 3802. The Sherbourn is a personal favorite of mine :emoji_thumbsup: ...it certainly makes it easier to be less concerned with the receiver's amps. The more than $200 kick up to the 3802 also gets more channels but it sounds like you don't need them. I'd agree with the 520, especially with the pre-out/Main-In loop. It's part of a dying breed.
Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks