What's new

Looking to upgrade receiver. which? $300limit (1 Viewer)

Tho

Auditioning
I currently have JBL Scs135 surround speakers set with a Pioneer vsx-d412 Receiver which I purchase sometime early last year. It sounds good for the price I paid for it but sometimes u get that upgrade itch that makes u wanna go and buy something newer and better :D. Since my budget is at most $300 (low 300s with shipping/tax), is it worth upgrading the receiver and will it make any difference as far as sounds goes? I want to spend as little as possible so in the 200s would be even better lol

Some models I've been looking at, feel free to add any other suggestions:

Pioneer vsx-d812 or 912
Onkyo TX-SR501 Refurbish (Under $200)
Onkyo TX-SR601 Refurbish (A little over $300)
Harmon Kardon AVR 130 (A little over $300)
Harmon Kardon AVR 225 Refurbish ($200+)

I never purchased refurbish home audio stuff before so I'm not sure how that would be. One reason I would consider the Pioneer more because I have a $35 GC at best buy and I might be able to get it with employee discount.

As for the Onkyo 501/601, how much of a difference is there between the two? Does the price difference justify it?

The Harmon Kardon 130/225, 130 is newer model and it seems nicer plus it seems to have more features than the previous 225 model? 225 seems to be more powerful though but does it sound better since its a model higher. Plus its cheaper.

By the way, this setup is for my room. Its a medium size room so its not worth buying high end up stuff, yet. So I just want something that will sound great when watching movies, which will be what I will use it mostly for. Plus some xbox gaming. All I'll have connect is the xbox and a 27" TV (Non-HDTV). Thanks :)

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Personally, I think it would be pretty foolish to go out and spend $300 on a receiver that would not have too many additional benefits to your setup. I think you should either save your money or spend it on new mains. That would have a much more profound effect on your overall sound than a new receiver would. At least at this price point.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I agree with ernest. Yes both your receiver/speakers need to be upgraded but speakers make the most improvement then the receiver.
I would do what ernest recommended and save for some speakers first....

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Look into the Sherwood 6108. I highly recommend it.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
I'd also go the speaker route-I have a set of SD 300tis, SD SS1bs and a Optimus S550 center (tried out a sony CS5000 and it wasn't any better than the $30 S550)-I'm going to pick up a warfedale here soon for the center and it BETTER be better than my $30 O S550!

ROGO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks