Looking to upgrade my receiver....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Jun 17, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I have the Sony STR-DE635. It has 5.1 audio and 80 watts per channel. But, no DTS and no Prologic 2. I am looking to get the Pioneer VSX-D811. Which, not only has DTS & the prologic 2. It has 100 watts per channel, 6.1ES and 7.1 input. Will I notice a big difference and is it worth the upgrade? Besides, the fact it is DTS compatable.

Thanks.

ps-Anyone have any suggestions for speakers? Without spending a fortune.

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

As for the receiver, it seems like the 811 is the best bet for the less than $300 receiver crowd. I guess that it performs really well for the price, but I still have not heard anything concerning its sound quality. And for speakers, please give a budget, as just saying you dont want to spend a fortune on speakers is like saying that you would rather not bed a girl with warts on her lips, very true but impossibly broad to make a decision on what to do.

3. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

Assuming "Without spending a fortune" means $500 to $1000 USD for a 5.1 speaker system, check out this buyer's guide .

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Sorry, I should have been more clear with price. Jeff, You are correct in what price I was looking at.

5. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest Infinity Interlude, I am using infinity and very pleased with em, and I am also looking forward to buy 811S. todd if you like, demo infinity and maybe you would like em.