1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to upgrade my Onkyo Prehistoric Receiver to match my NHT 2.5i's HELP!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by imaginecreation, Apr 21, 2010.

1. imaginecreation

imaginecreation Auditioning

Matthew Mintun
    Hey everyone, I am looking to upgrade my old 1994 Onkyo Receiver (TX-SV515PRO-2) with a new one with some cool stuff in it. I need HDMI inputs for sure and optical. I was looking at the Pioneer Elite series but then I saw some dislikes about them not being efficient. I would love some input. I bought some NHT 2.5i's for the front. The guy I bought them from said they are the "older" kind before they started making them overseas (or something like that?)

I am in the beginning stages of building my home theater. I have Bose double cube surrounds with the sub. Right now when I plug in my surrounds into my Onkyo, the audio cuts out on all the channels. With just the Onkyo set to the front speakers (NHT's) it RARELY cuts out...but still does sometimes. I am looking to spend around $500 - $1000 for the receiver. I also want to upgrade with some subs as well in time that will be driven off it's own external amplifier.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys and girls,
    Matthew

2. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Well, I can't be much help within your price range but FWIW, my system consists of NHT 2.5s and 1.5s and the Denon 4810 I purchased a month ago works BRILLIANTLY. So, I suggest giving a Denon receiver a listen.

3. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Check this one out................
    http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR807-7-2-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B002HHM0C0/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1272034025&sr=1-35

4. jcrilley3

jcrilley3 Agent

Joe Crilley
    I have the Pioneer Elite VSX 21 TXH and I absolutely love it. It was easy to set up and the MCACC has added a totally new dimension to the surround sound. With Blu ray and the Pioneer receiver my home movie experience has gone up to another level. I don't know what complaints other people have had but I have had no problems whatsoever and I am not a real super tech person.

5. imaginecreation

imaginecreation Auditioning

Matthew Mintun
    The Denon looks sweet! Way out of my range though at the moment.

The Onkyo TX NR807 looks awesome...I will have to find a place to test it. Good price too.

jcrilley, I am happy to hear that you are enjoying your Pioneer receiver. I will be doing a bit more research on the Pioneer units and the Onkyo. I'd probably stick with Onkyo just because I know how great they from the one I already have...and they last a long time. The Denon is way out of my range but if they have a comparable around $1k I'd definitely look into it.