Looking to upgrade my old Denom 1800. What should I get? (MERGED THREAD)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by EddyObregon, Jan 21, 2004.

1. EddyObregon

EddyObregon Stunt Coordinator

Ok guys currently I have a Infinity package sattelite speakers. I do not like them because they sound to thin for my taste. My room is about a 15x 14 with vaulted celings. I also have a infinty sub that is blowing. I have a denom 1800 receiver. NOW my thing here is I will probably buy either B & W speakers or Paradigm which ever my ears like best. As of right now I feel my infinitoes sound bright. I have a question if i get B & W or Paradigm speakers how will ti sound with my old denom ro shoudl i get a new receiver and if so what shoudl i get. My local dealer told me to try Marantz he said that Rotel and Marants to him are the best. Shoudl I go for a Yammi,Marants or a newer Denom for these speakers. Also i have about 500 dollars to spend on a receiver please help..

2. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

depending on room size, listening levels, and specific model of speakers, there's a good chance you will be underpowering the speakers with Denon 1800.

Personally, I think that instead of getting this year's newest model, I'd get last year's next step up model...

i.e. instead of getting current 2803 ~ $600, get last year's 3802 ~ $500 (now discontinued and replaced by 3803 ~ $800).

3. EddyObregon

thanks johnny can anyone else help me..

4. John S

John S Producer

To thin?? Maybe get a better Sub instead????

5. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

You asked for (and got) an objective opinion to this question in another forum.

My advice is to start with the least expensive and work your way up to what pleases you. ONLY you can make that determination. No one here can tell you how any given speaker will sound once you get it home. What we CAN tell is that it won't sound the same as it did in the store.

Vote with your money and practice conscious consumerism.

You might want to try that Spell Check thingy, too. [​IMG]

6. Felix_H

Felix_H Stunt Coordinator

I agree with JohnnyN.
    Get what you can afford with your bidget but get last year's model. Better value.

7. SteveL

SteveL Agent

anyone use the spell chacker

8. EddyObregon

so if i get a reciever i guess I should go with last years model. How bout other brands like Marants and Yamaha. Can my new speakers so great with my old denom receiver.

9. TylerN

TylerN Stunt Coordinator

If you go with B&W or Paradigm you should get a receiver with more power than the Denom 1800. A higher end Denom like a 2803 or even a Marants 4400 would be great. I personally know that the flagship Kemwoods (sovereigm line) work very well with Paradigm, especially the Studio 40's and 60s. A bit expensive for your budget though.

10. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Eddy,
    From my personal experience I upgraded my speakers first.
    1) Center
    2) rears
    3) Mains
    4) sub
    then
    5) Receiver

I updated in this order due to money at the time. Basically I bought one new item then Sold the old one bought the next new one and etc....you get the picture.

Speakers usually make more of a difference than a receiver does.
    Also try and stick with the same speakers up front as well as rears if possible. The sub really doesn't matter brand wise.

11. EddyObregon

ok now when i put my receiver high i feel liek my speakers sound way to bright and thin and obnoxiously loud. Does this have to do with my mini sattelite infinity speakers or my receiver.

12. EddyObregon

Ok guys just wanted to know your opinion on the best a/v receiver for about 500 dollars. I am looking for clarity and power. WHat receivers will match up best for B&W or Paradigms... I currently have a denom 1800...

13. Dustin Harrison

Dustin Harrison Stunt Coordinator

You can add H/K AVR 325 and the Onkyo TX-SR601 to the list.

14. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Also, you might consider the Denon AVR-2803 or the Marantz 5400 as options.

15. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

I would say that the problem is with your speakers. Most satellite/sub systems reproduce the top and bottom ends of the material and leave the middle out. It is simply the nature of the drivers. Larger main speakers will give you a fuller sound (more complete sound). You could have the best receiver or amp around and still will probably get the same sound out of those satellites. Fix the weakest link first which according to your comments seems to be your speakers. Best bet is to go and listen at some local shops. Tell them to use a receiver with similar power to yours and listen to some different speakers. You might need some towers to fill the room with those vaulted ceilings.

PS- Quit spelling Denon wrong. It's hard to take you seriously when you do stuff like that. First time is a typo, second time your just not too bright.

16. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

are you looking to only purchase at an authorized retailor? if not, then i believe that www.ecost.com has the HK 525 for under $500 right now.

17. SteveL

SteveL Agent

That would be my used Denon AVR3300, EddyO. 100W/5ch or more if you read the specs.

18. Dustin Harrison

Dustin Harrison Stunt Coordinator

Ecost is an authorized dealer for H/K

Ecost and PCmall are the same company.

19. EddyObregon

right now i have a denom 1800 so i want to upgrade. I am looking to buy Paradigm monitors or B&W speakers. My room size is 15x12 and my roof is about 12 feet high. My sattelites sound way to bright. so i am lookign for the best receiver under 500 dollars. Any more to my list on what i have explained about my family room.

20. EddyObregon

OK I live in a townhouse. The room is approximately 12 foot wide by 15 feet .. My roof is approximately 11-12 feet.. My family room has 2 sliding glass doors and i have tiles throughout. My sitting area from the speakers are about 8-10 feet. now i have 2 sofas in there with a middle table. I also have a center rug. Now what i mean is sometimes on direct tv i will put a movie and i put it up about 70 percent. which is about 25 decibals away from max and sometimes the loud sounds sound a tad to bright with hardly any fullness sometimes i feel the need to lower it since it just does not sound natural it sounds loud and bright. I have my receiver turned up at about 70 percent since any lower just sounds to low. Thats about 20-25 decibals befroe the volume know reaches the max. My denom receiver does about 70 watts x 5.