1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to upgrade my JVC progressive scan...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Pounds, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Josh Pounds

Josh Pounds Stunt Coordinator

As the title says, I'm looking to update my JVC XV723GD player. My options are the Toshiba 4800 or the Panasonic RP62. Are either of these players better than what I already have? My JVC has been very good to me...it's a little disappointing on video-based material, but that's about it. Good color, good resolution...functionality...I'm just looking to upgrade.

Or would either of those models be a downgrade?

I did a search for info about these players, they seem capable players...but I wonder if what I already have is better.

2. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

I never compared side by side, but I orignally had purchased the 4800, and then returned it and got the JVC600. Based on video only, don't have a collection of DVD Audio, I thought the 600 had a better picture and no chroma bug. However I must say the chroma bug wasn't that noticeable on the 4800.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Your player will do scaling for non-anomorphic dvds that are properly flagged as such, the others you mention won't.

The Panny is pretty much acknowledged as doing a better job than the JVC with video based stuff, because it has the Faroudja chip.

If you're willing to give up the scaling feature for the slight improvement in de-interlacing of video based material, then a swap would be justified.

There are other makes of players available with the scaling feature, and others that have the Faroudjay chip, but as far as I know there are no players out there that have the Faroudja chip AND the scaling feature.

Until someone makes a 5 or 7 disc changer with both the scaling feature and the Faroudja chip, I'm keeping what I have.