What's new

Looking to upgrade my fronts (1 Viewer)

mikesketball

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
Hi all. I have a 7.1 set up with the Pioneer VSX1015 for a receiver. right now I have a matching Sony set of speakers the SS series. These are nice for a starter set but I want to go more high-end now. I'k looking at the JBL L series, the 880's. I like the look, but I don't know a great deal about speaker companies. Can anyone share their opinions on JBL and other brands that I might want to look into? I'd like to stay around the $1000 mark on the fronts. Thanks.
-mike

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Upgrading your fronts should include the center speaker, otherwise those mains will likely leave your current center in the dust. I'd also factor a decent sub into the plans (down the road). I'd say the 880s are a good place to start.

Other brands you might look into would likely be Mordaunt Short, B&W, and Paradigm. All should be relatively easy to find a dealer for.

www.ac4l.com carries Mordaunt and has free shipping on speakers right now.

mikesketball

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
Yeah I'm looking into matching a center as well. I think the sub can wait, though I don't want it to.hehe I've listened to Paradigm quite a lot. My cousin has a paradigm setup. I like them, but they are a bit cumbersome for the amount of space I can dedicate to speakers right now. IF the JBL's are something that I will get, the size is quite nice. The appearance is one of the features that drew me to the 880's. Though I know sound is what counts. It's difficult to find opinions on the JBL brand it seems....

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not many seem to own the L series (at least around here), but if they are even merely as good as the former S series, they should do fine.

mikesketball

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
I think I've decided to go with Paradigm Studio 40's. Everything I've read is that these are one of the best bang for your buck speakers. I have a local dealer about an hour from me, but does anyone know where to find pricing online?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
mikesketball

JBL is very renowned with the motion picture industry, so JBL is the chose for me and has been for the past 16 years or so now, Jedi Blaster Lightsabres JBL is the chose if you what Jaws To Bite Low! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks