What's new

Looking to upgrade from Intergra DTC-9.4 with multichannel passthrough (1 Viewer)

RickRichardson

Auditioning
I currently have an Integra Research DTC-9.4 pre/pro and I like both the sound and features of it. However, I would like to try 5.1 SACD, but this pre/pro does not support multiple analog inputs. I would like to get some suggestions on what pre/pro’s I should consider that will be at least as good sounding as my DTC-9.4.

So here are my requirements:
1. Will handle 5.1 SACD or DVD Audio analog bypass.
2. Does 7.1 output
3. Sounds at least as good as my Integra DTC-9.4
4. No video switching is needed – I go direct from my sources to TV
5. New or used
6. Under $3K

Nice to have – PLIIx

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Your DTR-9.4 has a 7.1 multichannel input for SACD, DVD-A, etcetera (check out page 28 in the user guide for hookup instructions). Are you saying you need a unit with several such multichannel inputs so you can plug in several sources with analog multichannel outputs and switch between them? Those are fairly rare among pre/pros, especially at lower price levels.

You might want to consider an external switcher instead of replacing your pre/pro. Just as an example, (not a recommendation, since I've not tried this unit), here's one for about $450: http://www.laaudiofile.com/mas3.html Some folks have also used three (for 5.1) or four (for 7.1) two channel switchers (which are considerably less expensive per unit) but that would be kind of a pain to have to switch all of them each time you changed the source.

Another alternative might be to get a reasonably priced universal player that can play both DVD-A and SACD (as well as video DVD and CD), such as the budget-priced Pioneer DV-563A, and hook it up to the DTR-9.4's multichannel input. It sells for a lot less than the multichannel external switchers and would be a good, economical, way to try out the new formats without having to swap out a piece of gear you really like or having to add on extra items to make it all work.

Good luck,

geekspeak

Auditioning
Real Name
Skyler Sypherd
Birk,

I am looking to purchase the DTC-9.4, but would like to use the 7.1 input for the newer audio formats of Blu-Ray. will the DTC-9.4 apply THX Re-EQ to the 8 ch. analog input?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks