Looking to upgrade from Intergra DTC-9.4 with multichannel passthrough

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RickRichardson, Apr 5, 2004.

1. RickRichardson

RickRichardson Auditioning

Jan 23, 2002
    I currently have an Integra Research DTC-9.4 pre/pro and I like both the sound and features of it. However, I would like to try 5.1 SACD, but this pre/pro does not support multiple analog inputs. I would like to get some suggestions on what pre/pro’s I should consider that will be at least as good sounding as my DTC-9.4.

So here are my requirements:
    1. Will handle 5.1 SACD or DVD Audio analog bypass.
    2. Does 7.1 output
    3. Sounds at least as good as my Integra DTC-9.4
    4. No video switching is needed – I go direct from my sources to TV
    5. New or used
    6. Under $3K

Nice to have – PLIIx

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Jul 31, 1997
    Your DTR-9.4 has a 7.1 multichannel input for SACD, DVD-A, etcetera (check out page 28 in the user guide for hookup instructions). Are you saying you need a unit with several such multichannel inputs so you can plug in several sources with analog multichannel outputs and switch between them? Those are fairly rare among pre/pros, especially at lower price levels.

You might want to consider an external switcher instead of replacing your pre/pro. Just as an example, (not a recommendation, since I've not tried this unit), here's one for about $450: http://www.laaudiofile.com/mas3.html Some folks have also used three (for 5.1) or four (for 7.1) two channel switchers (which are considerably less expensive per unit) but that would be kind of a pain to have to switch all of them each time you changed the source.

Another alternative might be to get a reasonably priced universal player that can play both DVD-A and SACD (as well as video DVD and CD), such as the budget-priced Pioneer DV-563A, and hook it up to the DTR-9.4's multichannel input. It sells for a lot less than the multichannel external switchers and would be a good, economical, way to try out the new formats without having to swap out a piece of gear you really like or having to add on extra items to make it all work.

Good luck,
  3. geekspeak

geekspeak Auditioning

Sep 13, 2009
    I am looking to purchase the DTC-9.4, but would like to use the 7.1 input for the newer audio formats of Blu-Ray. will the DTC-9.4 apply THX Re-EQ to the 8 ch. analog input?