Looking to upgrade from DTS to DTS-ES 6.1 Any Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshB, Jul 23, 2002.

1. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I currently have an AIWA AV-D58 receiver for my bedroom. It has worked great for me and movies have never sounded better. The only complaint on it is the remote control and its design. But desides that it works great. I have some extra cash and am looking to upgrade my system from a DTS receiver to a 6.1 Dolby Digital EX/DTS-ES receiver. I am not to familiar with these kind of receivers in terms of whoich are the better deal. I have looked on eBay at some models, and recently saw a PIONEER VSX-D811S that looked rather impressive for the asking price(about $300.00). I have around $300-$500 to spend. Any ideas on a good receiver and a set of speakers to go with it. Also, does a 6.1 receiver need a certain type of speaker set, or can you use regular 5.1 channel speakers and use another surround speaker for the back surround? Any hints or suggestions on a system would be great.

2. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

3. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

4. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

check out the panasonic sa-he100 or 200

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I have the VSX-D811S and I love it. I payed $280 + $35 shipping on yahoo shopping. I have seen the Panasonic SA-HE100 and, although it has many of the same basic features (DPL2, NEO6, DD EX, DTS ES), it seems to be of substantialy lower quality (spring clips instead of binding posts, no option for 2 back surround speakers, and so on). This is a trade off on cost, however, since it can be found for as low as $225 + shipping on yahoo shopping.
    Also, you can find the predecesor to the VSX-D811s, the D810S, for around the price of the panasonic SA-HE100. It is the same as the D811S, except it has DPL instead of DPL2, and it also only supports a single burround back speaker. I also had this receiver before i replaced it with the newer D811S. The only reason i replaced it was because a friend of mine bought my D810S and some speakers i wasn't using for $300, so i was able to move up to the D811S for only $20.
    Any of the receivers i've mentioned would be soldid choices at great prices even compared to 5.1 receivers with the same features.
    More than anything, you should purchase the receiver you like the most in the price range you feel comfortable. Don't spend more than you want for no reason, or you'll kick yourself. Also, don't buy something you don't like just because of it got better reviews or someone on a forum reccomended it... make sure you get what you like [​IMG]

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

If you want DTS-ES decoding you must make sure that the receiver's specs. specifically say that it decodes the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 mode. Many say DTS 6.1, but are only matrix compatible and do not have real DTS-ES Discrete and Matrix decoding onboard.

The whole point to DTS-ES is getting that back channel in a discrete form. More titles are coming out with that kind of encoding.

Dan

7. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

in regards to the panasonic units they do not have spring clips they use posts and the 200 has an option for 2 rear surround