What's new

Looking to update receiver & speakers (1 Viewer)

Timothy Richard

Auditioning
Finally moved into my first house and plan on putting a plasma on the wall. In preparation, I need to update the receiver since I just want a single HDMI cable going to the plasma. I would have a component DVD, s-video game console, and HD cable box plugged into the receiver.

I have a Pioneer now, so I was looking at the VSX-82TXS. (I noticed a footnote on the 81 that it needed composite, component or s-video to use the onscreen display)

Looking for advice on other comparable receivers in the $1000 price range.

Also looking for a decent set of speakers 5.1 or 6.1 around $1200 or less. (Speakers have to be on the wall)

Thanks for any ideas.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Timothy

In the $1K range I can suggest the Yamaha 1700...and for speakers either the HDT Level 3 Towers and the other HTD Level 3 speakers...or the HSU HB-1 and HC-2 and the HSU VTF-3MK2 subwoofer.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
In the price range I'd move on up to the Denon 2807 for its stronger amp section and more robust auto setup / eq. It is also rock-solid for HDMI switching with no known issues. I believe the holds true for the Marantz SR5001 and SR7001. The same is also true for the Yamaha RX-V1700, though while I had one I was disappointed in many ways (horrible remote, audio drop-outs when switching inputs, muffled dialogue).

I now have the Pioneer Elite 82TXs and once I get the HDMI firmware updated I'm sure I'll love it. Out of the box though it's been very frustrating with video artifacts that sometimes make it unwatchable over HDMI. Sound quality and auto setup / eq have been wonderful and the build-quality is the best of the bunch (maybe a tie w/ the Marantz).

The best value of the bunch may be the Onkyo SR804. Its amp section and auto setup / eq are on par with all the above. Its only known issue is a flicker issue when passing 1080p over HDMI (though based on your equipment this looks to be a non-issue). It's available as low as $650 from accessories4less.com who is an authorized dealer. This would leave enough room in your budget for something fun like a Harmony remote or, if you pushed your budget a bit, an HD-DVD or BluRay player.

The HTD Level 3's are a great recomendation but you won't be able to do 5.1 for under $1200 w/ the towers (and the speakers need to be wall-mountable anyway). I'd say go with Level 3 bookshelfs front and back ($280/pr), Level 3 center ($180), and an SVS PB12-NSD B-Stock ($550) or HSU VTF-3 MK2 ($559). You could also lower your speaker cost a bit by using HTD Level 2's or Middies for surrounds (front/back matching is not nearly as important as side/side, especially the front soundstage).

Timothy Richard

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice so far.

I noticed from the webpage that HTD is in Plano, TX. I'll have to drive over and check them out.

Timothy Richard

Auditioning
So I went up to HTD and I wasn't paying attention to the dimensions on the webpage as to how big the speakers were (they're not called bookshelf speakers for nothing).

After talking for awhile, I decided to go with the HTD Panel Speakers.

To save some cost on the sub, I'm leaning toward the SVS PB10-NSD.

I'm leaning toward the Denon AVR-2807 for the receiver.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Timothy

I like the Denon 2807. You may wish to take a look at:

http://www.hsuresearch.com

In particular, the HSU VTF-2MK3 as an alternative to the SVS PB10-NSD. I prefer to have a built-in crossover on my subwoofers. It is not a necessity to have a crossover, however it makes the sub much more flexible.

Timothy Richard

Auditioning
Good point. Thanks for bringing it up. Under my upcoming setup, the speakers will not be plugged into the sub, however, for future options, (ie move to a new house and get a real media room), I can see the reason.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Timothy

I am glad that you see the reason...I am glad to be of assistance...please resist the temptation to take the advice of Minimalists and Purists... Please keep in touch with me.

Timothy Richard

Auditioning
Since I've been going back and forth between SVS and HSU, I had to get the wife involved for looks since the setup will be in the family room.

She seems to like the look of the SVS cylinder and thinks it will fit better with what she has planned for the room. (I don't care either way)

So, the SVS 25-31 PCi seems to fit in. Back up to a 12" woofer with a crossover and still in the same area with cost. (Yes, she knows its a lot taller)

It's still a few weeks before the built-in is finished, so we'll see.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Timothy, the fact is, the way HT receivers and processors operate these days, there is very little to no need for a crossover in the sub. If it has one, you'll just end up bypassing it. All that is handled by the receiver/processor and the raw sub signal is sent to the sub, so I just wouldn't worry about it. Arthur was just continuing his habit of finding any excuse he can come up with to encourage people to buy Hsu. Don't take my word for it, just look at his posts. The "Minimalists and Purists" are also a current obsession. Once again, just look at his posts and he says that every time. Who knows what it means.

Anyway, that in no way means Hsu does not make good subs. They and SVS are likely to give you the most for the money. The reason you are leaning toward the 25-31 is exactly its main appeal, which is a small footprint. Keep in mind that you can NOT put anything on the top of the SVS cylinder subs, since that is where the ports are. Just be sure to do your own judging of the equipment you choose, and don't let those pesky Minimalists and Purists sway you.

Timothy Richard

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice.

I got the Denon AVR-2807 & the SVS 20-39 PCi.

The speakers I had before were HT in-a-box, with a 8" sub that was 100 watts. When I plugged in the SVS and put on the "Pod Race" from Phantom Menace, it nearly brought tears to my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks