looking to up-grade my Processor

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mark Leiter, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

Hello all. I’ve been out of the home theatre scene a few years while I was apartment living. Now I have a new home and find myself in need of upgrading my HT. Specifically the processor. Currently I have a Yamaha 992 receiver powering a Sherbourn amp. I would like to switch out the receiver for something with component video switching and 7-channel out puts. The model that has really caught my eye is the Lexicon MC-1 on the used market. It seems to me I should be able to get a nice one for about $1,000. I know they have been discontinued for a few years but given my limited budget ($1,000-$1,200) the MC-1 seems to be the best option for me.

Are there any other models I should consider given I haven’t really been paying attention to this hobby for the past 5 years or so? Any opinions on the Lexicons?

Thanks all.

Mark

2. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

For $1,099, you can get a brand new Outlaw 990 7.1 processor. It's an excellent piece of gear and since they're a direct to consumer manufacturer (mail order only), you're getting quite a bit of bang for the buck. A similar product from a reseller would cost close to $2,000.

Also consider that buying a used piece of gear like that Lexicon will leave you with no manufacturer warranty left.