What's new

Looking to start my HT, one small step at a time. Starting with receivers / Fronts (1 Viewer)

Marcel_A

Auditioning
I'm going to start my HT, start with a pair of fronts and a receiver. I'll do sub/surround/center when I have more money.

On a suggestion from a friend I read some reviews for paradigm speakers, and I like what I hear. I think I'm going to go with either Atoms or Titans (depending on the price at the local shop that sells them). They also have good subs/surround/center, so it should be easy to match up down the road.

Now, I need a receiver to go along with them. I don't really care about 6.1, so that's not a priority. I do want something with component switching, at least one optical, and a couple S-Video/Composite ins (don't need too much there, I got an s-video switch for the game consoles). It'd be nice to have dual room support, but not a priority. The only thing that I saw around here that seemed about right is the Yamaha 56XX series of receivers.

I would just like a few more suggestions for receivers that offer good bang for the buck. Then I can go read reviews on them and compare the features VS the price.

EDIT: A little bit more info. I have a Liteon LVD-2001 DVD/Divx player (now discontinued, doh), 27" TV with component in, and several game consoles (Gamecube/Dreamcast).

Marcel

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
I think you're wise to buy a GOOD basic system instead of a cheap HTIB (much better in the long run).

Speakers are a VERY personal preference item and the Paradigm's are a good brand. In the same league with the Yamaha your looking at (BTW I have a Yamaha), I'de also look at Denon, and Onkyo.

Just a few words of advice:

1. Get the best you can afford.
2. Don't buy without listening (preferably receiver and speakers together).
3. Although you say 6.1 is "not a priority" now, that may not be the case in a year or so when MOST new DVD's will probably have 6.1+ formats. Think to the future.
4. Along the same lines, MOST guys I know NOW wish their receiver had more inputs (especially Digital). This allows for future expansion.
5. Pay attention to the remote. A great receiver can be a real pain if the remote stinks.

Marcel_A

Auditioning
Thanks... I have a question about second audio outs. I'm wondering if any of the low/moderate receivers from the suggested companies can do audio out from a second source, at the same time as doing other stuff?

We have a constant mp3 stream in the house, plugged into an audio splitter... We have speakers in several rooms in the house, so that we just turn them on in the splitter and get the mp3 stream. Very useful.

Now, can I have this stream using the receiver as essentially a pass-through? This way I can use the main speakers for the MP3 stream when I'm not watching movies, and the other rooms will always get the MP3 stream (even if I am watching a movie in the main room)?

Marcel

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Marcel, I need to know if you are seeking specific model recommendations or are asking in more general terms where you need to focus in building your system. If the former, then I'll move your thread to the appropriate hardware area. If the latter, then we can keep it here.

Marcel_A

Auditioning
Yeah, I was looking for like 3-4 specific models I could read up on (as well as look up prices). Since I'm new, I figured it was here :)

Ravlen

BrianSimmons

Auditioning
I just wanted to make a comment about the remote. While getting a great remote with your receiver is a nice bonus, I personally would not let the remote stand in the way of me getting a great receiver (ie I like the receiver, but the remote is crap). You can get some very nice fully programable remotes now for less than $50 (All for One for example). Of course you can also get some great remotes for a lot more $ too.

Heck, it's only money afterall ;)

Good luck. It won't take long before you are bitten by the HT bug.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the response, Marcel. Since you seem to be focusing on speakers, I'm moving your thread to the Speakers/Subwoofers area -- you will get more responses over there.

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Marcel:

I noticed your post with your room layout was hosted on the Dal Computer Science server so I am going to assume you live in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Since I'm in Halifax too and I help quite a few friends out with their first forays into Home Theater (and some subsequent forays as well :)), maybe I can be of some assistance.

Based on what you have described above, the RX-V640 (HTR5660) would be the best match in the Yamaha line. That's a solid entry level receiver that is not stripped down. You can buy the RXV640 at Peak Audio (where you were looking at those Atoms and Titans) or at Glubes Sound Studio. Future Shop is the only place in town that carries the HTR5660.

I listened to a pair of Klipsch RF25 mains on the RXV440 last week and it sounded pretty damn good. Not suggesting you buy those towers, just pointing out that the lowest level Yamaha receiver did just fine with them.

What is your total budget?

Jeff

Marcel_A

Auditioning
Heh, ahh the wonders of the internet. Yup, I checked with peak audio, since they can do warranty and repairs for Yamaha receivers. After reading more here, I figured I'd go with the 640... or *maybe* with the rx-v1400. It is more expensive, but looking into it, I can actually buy in the states and get the 1400 for the same price as the 640. Peak Audio can then take care of the receiver if I have problems (they can do RMA's and whatnot). Yay for the strong Canadian dollar, heh.

As for my total budget, that's dynamic. If I feel I'll be happy with my stuff for a long time, I'll be willing to put more into it. Before taxes, I could get the 1400 for about 750 bucks online... I could get a set of paradigms for about 700 as well (290 with tax for a pair of titans, probably 400-500 for surrounds + sub). It seems like they'd all be parts I'd be happy with for a long time... I guess about 1500 total is what I'm trying to stay under (lower the better, of course).

Marcel

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
The RXV-1400 is an excellent piece and highly recommended on the boards. One thing though...

You will not get any warranty coverage on a unit shipped up from the States. Peak may work on it for you, but you will have to pay for it yourself.

If you do decide it's worth the risk to buy in the US, you should consider Etronics. They use Canada Post's Borderfee service so you can get up front all-inclusive pricing in Canadian dollars. No surprise fees as with most US purchases shipped to Canada. I don't think Etronics is an authorised dealer for Yamaha so there will be no US warranty either - that should not be a big deal if you're not planning to go to the US to get it fixed.

Peak just had a sale not too long ago. I was there with a friend who was demoing some systems. We listened to a setup with Titans in front, Atoms in back, and whatever center and sub was the appropriate match. I think it was $1275, on for $1075. I thought it sounded very good for the money,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks