What's new

Looking to replace but Onkyo 605 (1 Viewer)

loki993

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Its lasted well, been repaired once but its time. You guys seem to know your stuff and like answering questions...so I joined up..not really sure what I wasn't already a member though.

I don't necessarily have a ton of needs..Id like a new receiver to have more HDMIs, 605 only has 2.

Id like it to sound better if possible

Id like it to do at least most of the new formats...though atmos and things like that I dont need. Im not putting speakers in my ceiling any time soon.

Id like it to sound really good with music too..if possible. I do have a turntable that I like to play from time to time. Receiver doesn't need to have a phono pre though..if there even make receivers with them anymore.

Rest of the set up... 2 Chane A2Rxc up front and I just use some old HTIB Jamos for the surrounds and a Jamo sub. Im am not currently running a center channel but eventually it would also be a chane A2rxc.

under 500 would be fantastic....under 300 would be even better but I know that may not be possible to get the SQ im looking for.

One in particular Ive been looking at is the Sony STR DN850..its got good reviews. IT a last year model so I thought I could score a deal on one but that doesn't appear to be the case on the internet. I haven't looked around locally too much yet beyond my local BB.

Any other suggestions?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
If you are willing to get a refurbished unit - you can save a lot of money and get something great - Some you may consider:

"under 500 would be fantastic"

MARANTZ - SR5009 7.2ch 100wpc 4K Receiver Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/AirPlayhttp://www.accessories4less.com/mak...pc-4k-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html - 8 HDMI Inputs, 2 HDMI Outputs with 4K Ultra HD 60 Hz Pass-through; 4:4:4 Pure Color - $499.99

DENON - AVR-3312CI 7.2 Network A/V Surround Receiver w/AirPlayhttp://www.accessories4less.com/mak...etwork-a/v-surround-receiver-w/airplay/1.html - Ethernet, USB, Phono, and 7 HDMI inputs for added connectivity. - $429.99

".under 300 would be even better"

DENON - AVR-X2000 7.1 Ch 4K Ultra HD Networking Receiver AirPlay - HDMI inputs - 7 (6 rear / 1 front) - $299.99

ONKYO - TX-NR626 7.2 Network A/V Receiver Wi-Fi/Bluetooth - HDMI inputs - 6 - $299.99

loki993

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Yeah Ive been looking on acessories4less and I'm wondering if the answer is as simple as get the most expensive Denon I'm willing to par for.

These had cought my eye?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2100w/denon-avr-x2100w-7.2-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3000/denon-avr-x3000-7.2-4k-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

Unfortunately though the 3000 is sold out.

Another thing though their naming can be confusing..but its probably just Im not familiar with denon. example

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1100w/denon-avr-x1100w-7.2-4k-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs900w/denon-avr-s900w-7.2-4k-ultra-hd-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

At a glance the X1100w would be the higher end model..and maybe it is..however the s900..has more power, more HDMI inputs, more total inputs....but also uses Audyssey bronze whereas the 1100 uses silver...also the MSRP on the s900 is a hundred dollars higher..... is this just a difference from model years or what?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I have a refurbished Denon and am very happy with it.

As for your question - Different model numbers with different features - for around the same price point...so they add some features and subtract some to get the same price point...

In your example above:

so - add: Audyssey Silver DSP with MultEQ XT, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume -- subtract on the amp section

Remove all of the audyssey goodies - more $$ goes to the amp section...

So - if you have very efficient speakers, you can go with a lower wattage amp -- and if you are running with power hungry speakers, you would be better off having more watts in your amp...

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You're not really asking for any high-end features, so pretty much any decent receiver will answer the mail. Also, you aren't going to get any sound quality improvements going from a $300 to a $500 receiver; the difference will be in convenience features. So no need to buy used to stay in your price range (unless you want to, to save a few more dollars). And finally, Sony is not particularly known for their receivers, they aren't bad, just not leading the way; so you pay more for no good reason. I suggest staying with Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, and Harman/Kardon.

loki993

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Al.Anderson said:
You're not really asking for any high-end features, so pretty much any decent receiver will answer the mail. Also, you aren't going to get any sound quality improvements going from a $300 to a $500 receiver; the difference will be in convenience features. So no need to buy used to stay in your price range (unless you want to, to save a few more dollars). And finally, Sony is not particularly known for their receivers, they aren't bad, just not leading the way; so you pay more for no good reason. I suggest staying with Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, and Harman/Kardon.

I didn't think I as asking for anything crazy. The only other thing is decent video processing but the Denons seem to be good on that too, but event that isnt a big deal because if its no good Ill just pass through. My P#3 does a decent enough job if it.

I do like saving dollars that's for sure but I think the deals on a4L are pretty good as is and if I get lucky and get one if those with the free 3 year warranty its basically like buying one brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks