Looking to relocate...Where's the BEST place to live in the US??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jenna, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

I'm thinking about relocating to another state (from NC). Any suggestions??? I'm looking for gorgeous scenery, low cost of living, and decent wages for a medical professional.

Do you like where you live??? Why or why not???

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I live in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and love it!

Beautiful Scenery, big beautiful lake, mountains, beautiful weather and only 15 or 20 minutes from Spokane, Washington where you could get a decent job in your profession. And the cost of living isn't too bad either.

3. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

lol... I was about to say that it seems like everyone I ask that question of they all tend to put North Carolina in their top three. But you already live there!

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I always thought western Carolina was beautiful?

Crawdaddy

5. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I'm heading to Hendersonville, NC tomorrow night... I'll tell you how it is !!!!

Maryland is nice if you like a high cost of living, high taxes, a slow job market and road construction that goes on and on and on...

6. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I live in Northern Minnesota and it ain't too bad. Lots of outdoor things to do. Nice scenery in the Summer and Fall and an OK job market, although I'm unemployed at the present [​IMG]. If you like to Hunt, Fish and go camping then I don't think there is a better place to live in the US. Cost of living is dirt cheap too. The main drawback is the DVD buying, you either have to order them or drive about 50 miles to get most of them.

7. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I was going to ask if Jenna was from Hendersonville. My oldest son Greg spent the summer at the Flat Rock playhouse. I was there twice and found it to be a REALLY appealing area!!!!!

Kirk..when you are there check out the Game Room store downtown..WAAAAY cool store!

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Jenna, I see you're looking at Alaska in another thread, correct? If you like the scenery and don't mind the cold, the Adirondacks, In NY are very nice, if you stay out of Lake Placid but near enough you can find some nice places and the Adirondacks are very pretty and lots of outdoorsy things to do in all seasons.
    If you go to Alaska and the medical profession, maybe you could start the next "northern exposure"! [​IMG] Just kidding.. As far as scenery and lands, nothing beats Alaska, just think of all the land and how less dense it is up there as compared to here. The only thing about cost of living is that things tend to be more expensive up there, but if you don't expect/need to live like you would in a major city, then it might not be that bad. Most things cost more up there because getting things up there is more expensive, just like living in Hawaii. But if you aren't one who needs to live the life of luxury, I can't imagine the cost of living preventing a person from moving there, we're humans, we can adapt.
    When I was in Kaua'i, I met a person who was living in the woods near the Na Pali coastline. I actually gave him a ride to the post office in Princeville. He lives off the land and with a few other people in a sort of commune, grows his own food and stuff. Does contract jobs for some spare cash but pretty much survives in the backcountry.
    Jay

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

We need to find out what you'd be willing to put up with.

Earthquakes? (No California, ok maybe New York too). Tornados? Hail? Long winters. Ten feet of snow? 2 inches?

Glenn

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

There is no one "best" place to live for everyone, because different people value different things. For example, if you really really really hate cold weather, Alaska would NOT be the best place for YOU. Or, if you really really really care about certain cultural aspects of a big city, New York might be the best place for YOU.

It depends.

11. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Charlottesville, VA is a unique town, voted best small city a couple years ago. The University of Virginia is located here, and the medical school is one of the biggest employers. Cost of living might not be as cheap as NC, but my wife and I live in a 2000 sq-ft. home that cost us $170,000 last year.
    Gas is relatively cheap, and it is very close to the Blue Ridge Mountains. The University of Virginia has stabilized the local economy and also preserved a sense of culture. There is a beautiful downtown pedestrian mall with free concerts every Friday during the summer. The retail sector of town is away from all the cultural stuff, so the town feels less sterile.
    And it is a great place to raise your kids; the per capita income level is really high and the schools are well funded. Crime is almost non-existent; heck I don't even lock my car door at night [​IMG]
    Jason

12. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I love Asheville, but you might look at Sante Fe or even Santa Barbara.

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I was just commenting to my wife how I love Milwaukee. It's big enough to have all of the ammenities of a big city.. ie: theaters, first class restaraunts, but small enough that when you go out someplace, theres a good chance you will run into someone you know. Also, located on lake Michigan, we have some decent beaches and home to the "world's largest music festival": Summerfest.
    And the beer.. don't get me started on the beer.

14. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Stay the hell away from the DC area. This places sucks. Too many people and traffic is horrible.

Jeff

15. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Two Words: San Diego

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

DO NOT come to Hartford, CT. It is the most uninspiring place I have ever experienced.

--

Holadem

17. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

I will extoll the virtues of living in Alaska to anyone who will listen, but only because I know that most people will never move here. This gives Alaska one of its best features, which is the incredibly low population density. Population density makes places like DC, San Diego, LA, NYC, etc. uninhabitable for me.

18. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Jason, Charlottesville is indeed a pretty cool town. I lived there for 12 years growing up and still live pretty close by (70 miles down the road). It's a little too small for my tastes, but I'd recommend it to anyone who prefers being away from the hustle and bustle of a larger city.

19. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Steve,
    I currently work in Richmond [​IMG]. But I have found a new job closer to home in Charlottesville and my last day here is on Friday. The drive down 64 sucks but beats the heck out of sitting in traffic for an hour up in D.C.!
    Jason

20. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Jason wrote: