Looking to Regain DVR Functionality Lost When Forced to Switch to DirecTV

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
When I moved to a new area, the only option for TV was Satellite, and I ended up with DirecTV. I’ve been pleased with it other than the DirecTV DVR functionality. The menus are a bit less intuitive than my wife was used to with our now-dormant ReplayTV, and I miss the networking ability that allowed the transfer of programs to my PC for editing and archiving to DVD.

When we found that our first DirecTV receiver (D11-100) was incompatible with our ReplayTV (5504), DirecTV replaced it with its receiver/DVR, the much-maligned R15-300. Though we’re back in the recording game, I miss the ability to edit/transfer programs to DVD.

Searching HTF, VideoHelp, and AVS, it looks like I could do a couple things to regain the ability to transfer shows from DVR to DVD: either add a DVD recorder to my setup or hook my ReplayTV to outputs on the R15 to manually record a show that’s playing back on the R15. Both of these options seem like they’d be more effort than I hoped to expend.

Another option I ran across may be to pick up an older receiver on eBay, and connect my ReplayTV to it. Browsing through eBay, it looks like there are a lot of choices that show up on ReplayTV compatibility lists, and I think that this would be my best move if it is possible to do this. My Replay has a lifetime subscription and it’s easy to pull programs from it to a PC for editing. Another benefit in getting this to work is that I could drop the monthly DVR charge from DirecTV (assuming I can rework any contract or service agreements).

Does anyone know if I could pick up an old DirecTV receiver to put my ReplayTV back in the game? If this can’t be done, does anyone have any thoughts about making the DVD recorder/manual options any better for my situation?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Is the incompatibility with your current receiver a matter of the Replay not having the IR code to control it?

I think going for an older DirecTV receiver would be simplest. The manual option is just too clunky and it gets old pretty fast. I guess we all lived with the same process when we used VCRs for time shifting, but why go back to that if we can avoid it?

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
I feel bad that I don't know what the reason is. I know I spent several days trying to get my Replay working with DirecTV when we moved in over the summer, and had no luck. They just didn't see each other.

I searched all kinds of forums, then and again this weekend, and the common thread is that the latest DirecTV receivers aren't compatible with ReplayTV units. There were workarounds for earlier late-model DirecTV receivers that didn't automatically synch up with Replay, but nothing for the latest generation DTV receivers. Old DTV receivers seem to do OK with RTV, but not the newer generation, and that's why I'm thinking of picking up an older receiver from eBay.
Thanks for the quick reply, and I agree... the manual option would be tedious and I'd be paying DTV for the inconenience.

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Problem solved... picked up older RCA receiver off eBay, and it works like a champ. Got it activated (no charge) and removed the newer receiver from my account. I now have my RTV back in the game and, more importantly to me, have it back in my network for transferring shows to my computer.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Good to hear! It will be interesting to try out Replay's PC application when it gets released.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicke2000