looking to put a new driver in my sub.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by EvanW, Jul 29, 2005.

1. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

I have a audio sorce SW TWO i will be lengthening the port to help tune it to lower freq but the driver at even moderate levels has a terrible boominess, i orignally thought it was port noise but it is not well sort of..., after disassembling the sub the driver is the problem it is sheiled with a sealed plate around both magnets and a port cut out in the back when air starts to get going it makes a terrible sound. The only way to fix this is to replace the driver, so i am looking for a new driver most likely off parts express but id like to know if anyone has had good experiances with a certain driver, im hoping to spend less than 75$ because with the way i upgrade this sub is a temp., thanks for any comments.

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Evan,

It's almost never a very good idea to replace a driver by another type in an existing enclosure.

Wouldn't you rather buy a whole new sub, or build one?

Cees

3. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

why is it not a very good idea , as long as i have correct volume etc. i should be fine and i will be buying a new sub but it wont be for another few months. I forgot to mention that it is a 10 inch driver.

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Evan,

Subs are devised to match a specific set of parameters (called the Thiele / Small parameters) of the driver.

Because not all drivers are created equal (this is an understatement), replacing it with any other type of driver may simply give lousy results.

It's almost impossible to find a driver with exactly matching parameters, so your chances are small.

This is worse for a vented box, BTW, than for a closed box, but it's still the main reason why replacing the box together with the driver is the very best option.

Still, that doesn't mean you're totally without a chance of succeeding....

Cees

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I would not waste even $75 on a new driver. I would put it back together using all the original parts and live with it till you can afford a new sub.

6. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

audiosorce didnt not spend time on research and development making this box to fit this driver, its a sub that goes for 200$, that cab can easily be built out of MDF and they have probably the crapiest port ever its 6 inchs long and with the dementions of the box it is tuned to somewhere around 45hz thats hardly a sub its just low midbass, if they would have spent time on research then they wouldnt have put the backing plate around the magents on the driver and it wouldnt make that god aweful sound, and for the person who orignal asked if id rather build one what is the perpose, when i already have a cab and all i have to do is match driver specificationsto this cab, as long as i have the driver matched to the cab it should be fine and i will be lengthing the port to tune it to probably 25hz.

7. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

As long as you don't need the magnetic shielding (TV interference) the stock driver provides, Parts Express has a couple of options.

I get roughly 1 cubic foot of volume given the published dimensions for the SW Two. Playing around with WinISD:

A Parts Express 10" Quattro2 ($65) will give about 101db @ 30hz with 100 watt input in 1 cubit foot tuned to 30hz. Problem is you can only get a 2" or 2.5" diameter port to fit in the cabinet due to length so port noise could be an issue.

That same 10" Quattro will do 96db @ 30hz in a 1 cubic foot sealed cabinet. You definitely won't get a boomy sound with a Qtc=.528 in that config.

Lastly, for $110, the PE DVC12 will do 98db @ 30hz with 100 watts in 1 ft^3 sealed. Do some searching...someone around here built this config several years ago when the DVC12 first came out...it's in room measurements were very impressive.

I don't feel like taking the time to load up the numbers for the 12" Quattro @ $75, but it might be an option as well.

WINisd models SPL output with no room reinforcement so you can probably figure at least 3-6 db more output in a reasonable sized room.

The biggest concern I would have in trying to upgrade the driver would be any custom EQ the amp might have in it. Although a little low end boost would probably help the sealed designs if it's at the right frequency.

If you can't stand your current driver, the sealed 10" Quattro would be the best bang for the buck. I would certainly expect it to outperform the stock driver. Only you can say if it's worth $65 until you can upgrade to whatever you really want.

wbs

8. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Brent ill probably end up with the Quattro, at the movment i have a port that is 6 inchs deep and from inner edge to inner edge 3 inchs, ill be making a port that will be about 15 inchs long still 3 inchs in diameter to tune it to a lower freq and scince the only way to get 15 inchs is to make a bend in the pipe ill be ding that this should cut some of the port noise down also, works in the Klipsch multimedia subs.

9. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I think you would be better off buying a Dayton 10" or 12" self contained subwoofer from part express. Unless you are dead set on simply replacing the woofer.

10. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

There are some correction factors that go into bending ports. Can't remember the math, but I believe you shorten your effective length. A 15" x 3" port puts you in the neighborhood of 33-35hz tune in a 1 ft^3 box. Not too much different than the 30hz tune I modeled above. But, you also increase turbulence with the bend, thus risking more port noise.

BTW, if you can live with the aesthetics of it, the length of the port doesn't have to stay inside of the cabinet. You could put 12" inside the cabinet and 7" outside for the 30hz tune...3" x 18.88".

Port noise could still be an issue with your 33-35 hz tune. WinISD's recommendations say your 3" port is likely to huff below 40hz at 100 watts of input with the Quattro. Audible? Maybe, maybe not. How often will you drive it to full output? If you drop to the 30hz tune, you don't exceed the recommended limit until 33ish hz.

How are you planning to do your subwoofer upgrade down the road? Buy "turn key" or DIY? If DIY, the DVC12 would work well with your existing cabinet sealed and give you future options when you have the $$$ to build a bigger ported box and buy a bigger amp. The DVC12 in roughly 3 ft^3 ported can be quite the performer. The DVC12 with 250 watts in 3 ft^3 tuned to 20 hz will produce 105db @ 20hz and 109 @ 30hz. Just a thought...

wbs

11. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

ill end up with a svs pci series most likely.

12. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

You can't go wrong with a SVS.