What's new

Looking to purchase Home Theater Motorized Curtains. Advice Needed. (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am currently in the process of converting my basement into a home theater. I expect that within the next four weeks the job will be completed and I will be ready to compliment it all by installing a motorized curtain across a 12 foot wall span.

When I Google "motorized home theater curtains" the first place that comes up is HTmarket. We had them as an advertiser here several years ago and I have heard good things about them.

They offer a motorized curtain system complete with curtains.

However, looking at their videos, there is something called "slackback" where you have to figure in the amount of space the open curtain takes up. Kind of confusing to me.

In any case, I sent HTmarket and email and told them if they could take my room floor plan and recommend the correct curtain track and curtain size, they would have a purchase.

In the meantime, if anyone has any recommendations to whom I could buy a decent motorized curtain from, I would appreciate it. I am willing to spend up to $1k for a decent system, which I know is more than what it will actually cost.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Slack back is the term used for the amount of space required for "storage". Just like curtains for windows...they need somewhere to go...when open. Meaning...if you have a 30" window...the curtain rod is 34-38 inches...so the curtains(depending on type) have that 2-4 inches on each side of the window to take up...when not covering the window.

In this case...are you wanting curtains to completely hide the screen when not in use...or just enough on each side to frame 16:9 and 2.40?

I assume you are doing a CIH? (or 2.40 zoom...same "thing" just different approaches...with pros and cons both ways)

You did, thankfully, go with the Sony...

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I went with custom sewn drapes, commercial curtain motor and Besteel curtain tracks.

http://www.automaticdevices.com/170260-besteel

This company also sells new Tom Thumb motors. I'm using the Model 872MCS.

I had a company in Atlanta sew drapes based on my measurements, purchased a Tom Thumb curtain motor from a used theatre equipment dealer and did the install myself.

I estimate I have maybe $600 max in my system.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Schan,

Need to hide the curtains.

Dfurr, I will look into your recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks