Looking to optimize my new HT purchase

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Joey S, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Joey S

Joey S Auditioning

Hi folks home theater newbie here, so humor me a bit. :b I just treated myself to a bigtime upgrade. I purchased the following:

Sony KP51WS510 - 51" HDTV

Pioneer DV-578A-s - Progressive Scan DVD

Yamaha YHT-150 - 600 Watt 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System

Okay now the hookup questions. I'll be using Time Warner's HD cable box. Do I connect through DVI? or component?

What are the recommendations about the video cables for the DVD to TV hook up? How many wires will i need to buy? What specifically?

Audio wires from the receiver to the video sources: What do you recommened i get? Specifics would be appreciated.

My speakers wires: Do i upgrade the stock stuff? Is there really a big difference? Do I need banana plugs for the wiring or just put it in raw? Been looking at the following wire: The sound king 12 gauge 100' speaker wire at parts express and the dayton audio banana speaker plugs. Is that what I need or am i offbase?

The stock subwoofer cable: Should I upgrade this? If so what?

Any other advice or things i will need will be appreciated. My buddy works at best buy HT department where i bought the goods, so he will be doing the TV calibration for me. Just trying the get a head start and different opinions on the hookups.

I've been trying to read the forums for any info i could find, but i wanted to post to get specific info for my situation. I have 2 weeks till delivery, so i'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

Thank you immensely in advance. I hope I put this in the right forum.

2. Joey S

Joey S Auditioning

Can anyone help?

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Get yourself a DVD test disk (like the $17 Sound & Vision disk), a Radio-Shack SPL meter, and you may want an all-in-one remote control. Borrow a measuring tape when determining speaker distance. (you'll only need it that once).

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Everyone feels this way. But you should first read How to hook up your new Home Theater Reciever It DOES apply to you with your new system. Then post about things you dont understand.

Hope this helps.

PS: I second everything Garret suggested including the small part about a Radio Shack SPL meter. The HTF Primer & FAQ (on the basics page) has whole articles on how to calibrate your system, speaker placement, etc.

5. Ben Mecham

Ben Mecham Agent

Joey,
    I just looked up your HTIB - the Yamaha YHT-150, and it looks like the receiver included in that package is the HTR-5730 (correct me if I'm wrong). This receiver does not have component video switching, only composite, so I would not recommend using the receiver to switch video at all. Instead, do as others have said here and use the following:

DVI connection from the HDTV box to the TV directly
    Component cables from the DVD player to TV directly

Although that may seem like common sense, I just wanted to make sure there isn't confusion as what is available to you with the particular receiver you chose.

As for the audio, your receiver only has one digital coax input, and two optical. Unfortunately (if I have the right receiver) it looks like they are labeled, meaning they are only assigned to specific inputs. The coax is labeled CD, the two optical are DTV/CBL and DVD. For labeling purposes to make it easiest, I would recommend using the optical from your HD box to the DTV/CBL input and then obviously the optical from your DVD player to the optical input labeled DVD. In this situation you wouldn't be using the digital coax input at all.

On the subject of speaker wiring, the only thing I could add is that you need to make sure to check the backs of the receiver and speakers to see if they accept banana plugs. It looks like the receiver only has binding posts for the front left and right channels. The center and surrounds have the little clips that you put the raw wire in. If I'm correct, your speaker satellites don't have binding posts for the banana plugs either. That won't do you much good. It's debatable, but I think in that case just putting the raw wire in is good enough. I believe you can get little speaker wire pins that make it nice, but I'm not sure if the quality is any different at all.

I hope that helps, it's always exciting to get new HT gear!

Ben

6. Ben Mecham

Ben Mecham Agent

Oh, another thing I thought of -- you're probably going to want a decent universal remote control that supports macros so you can easily switch inputs on both the TV and the receiver -- very wife friendly!
    Check out remotecentral.com -- they have been a huge resource for me!
    I would recommend one of the new Universal Remote Control, Inc. remotes - I just had a chance to work with the URC-200 Automator, and it is a really good remote for the money, plus it's RF which makes it nice...

Ben

7. Joey S

Joey S Auditioning

Wow thanks for the respones everyone. Some awesome info here. All of it will be useful once the TV comes Thursday. Can't wait! Thanks again.

8. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Before you invest in a DVI cable make sure the cable company in your area has it enabled. Many of the HD cable boxes have the connection but it's not active.

Also, since your TV is CRT based the DVI connection could be better or worse then component since CRTs are analog and require a conversion from digital. It's a total crapshoot as to which device will do the D/A conversion better that's why I suggest trying both.

If the DVI is enabled then you will need a single-link DVI not dual-link. Dual-link will work but you are paying extra for it and it's not necessary for your equipment nor will it make a difference in quality.