Looking to move from 4:3 to 16:9 need help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Pursey, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Kevin Pursey

Kevin Pursey Auditioning

I've decided after watching my new Panasonic 36" HDTV 4:3 that I need to make a change to the 16:9. The TV is fine, but my reasons for buying a HDTV where for HDTV programs and better DVD viewing. Both of these are in the 16:9 format. We have 2 other tvs that will allow me to watch normal standard broadcasts in 4:3. I need some advice on which TV to look at from people that own a direct view 16:9 HDTV. My wife does not want a large TV so I need to keep it under 40" and the price can't be much over $2500. I'll be returning my Panny, and that will net me $1800

If I need to post this at a differnt location I can do that as well.

Thanks

Kevin

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome aboard, Kevin. Sony makes a 16:9 34-inch direct-view set, but its list price is in the $3,500 range. At the moment, you'll be hard pressed to find a direct-view 16:9 set for much cheaper. Philips makes a very well-reviewed 34-incher as well, also expensive.

But all is not lost. Prices are plummeting fast--at least in the world of rear projectors. Direct-views should follow suit.

3. Kevin Pursey

Kevin Pursey Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Jack and you are right, the direct views are up there in price so I've change my direction and I'm looking at rear projection. I'm stick with the place I purchased my Panny and their three choices in the size I want/need (wife has a vote) is

the Mits MITWJ46809

The Hitachi HIT43uwx10

and the PANPT47WX51

Anyone have any feedback on these three. The Mits had the best picture that I could see when I stopped in and the sales guy I work with and like the Mits the best.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Kevin

4. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Hi Kevin -
    I'm in a similar position, I currently have the Panny 32" TAU and I've found that I really want 16:9 (I've also had some 'issues' with the set. Circuit City has blown me off and I've gotten nowhere and the Manufacturers Warrenty expired. I'm looking at the Panny PT-47WX51 for its size/features/price. I'm VERY close to picking this up ASAP, though I'm a tad weary of another Panasonic after the problems I've had. If I pick it up I'll be sure to post my findings.
    Have you tried the
    Home Theater Spot forums? Some really good manufacturer specific forums with info on the sets you have mentioned:
    Panasonic
    Mitsubishi
    Hitachi

5. Kevin Pursey

Kevin Pursey Auditioning

Hey Tim, I was just going over there thanks. I'm working with Audio King here in Minneapolis and as I mentioned I have a good sales person that is working with me on the return. I'm actually past the 30 day window, but he got the 15% stocking fee waved and I value his opinion. Hard to find someone you like at these stores.

I looked at the Panny next to the Mits and the Mits looked better and that was with a low grade feed for both of them. He rated the Panny third out of the three we are looking at. Did you compare the PT47 to other sets?

Kevin

6. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Sounds like things are working out quite well for you! I'm going out tonight after work to do some comparisons, but I think I'm sold on the Mitsubishi WT-46809.

7. Atho

Atho Agent

Before ya jump on the RPTV bandwagon, have a look at the Toshiba 34HF81, it's a 34 inch 16 X 9, fabulos reviews, and you can pci it up at around 2000.

Have a look!

8. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I looked at the Toshiba as I'm a fan of DV TVs and I play A LOT of video games on my TVs, we're talking hours at a time, so I am really worried about burn in. I like the Mitsubishi for the 'Promise'.

9. Kevin Pursey

Kevin Pursey Auditioning

Tim have you looked into the stand for the Mits. I have a stand for my 36", but the sales guy is telling me it won't work. It's an extra $300. I just bought a new stand for the Panny at $300 and I have not place to put the old one

10. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I ended up purchasing the Panny last night after looking at all the models I listed above. For price, size and features, the Panny won (and the little woman likes the size). I just pray that I have better luck with this one.

Also picked up an RP56 as I was using an old interlaced SONY model.

11. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

[size=]Well Tim.Welcome to the Panny 16:9 Family!! Haven't got mine yet (PT-47wx49, don't need the Glare Screen),but in another month will have mine ![​IMG]

If you haven't been to the following site, http://www.panny.tv/

12. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Thanks! For the past few months everytime I play games or watch movies on the 32" Tau (8 feet away for proper Audio) I see just how small the set is [​IMG] and how badly I want 16:9. Didn't bother with the glare screen, picked up a RP56 (should have gotten a progresive player ages ago :|

13. Jim Reynolds

Jim Reynolds Agent

Hi Kevin,I bought the Panasonic 16:9 34inch direct view last Oct. and I have never regretted the purchase.The screen is just the right size without overwhelming the room and the picture,after calibrating it with Avia,is stunning.As for the price,I bought it at Best Buy with a 10% off coupon and recieved an additional instant $250 rebate which brought the price down to $2495 and like I said,I've not regretted the money spent.Good Luck,Jim

14. Kevin Pursey

Kevin Pursey Auditioning

Thanks for the post Jim, I also liked the look of the Panny 34", but one of my issues is the place I'm returning my 36" 4:3 does not have any discounts going on that set so it's sitting at $2999. Now I know your thinking I should look at other places, but since I am over my 30 days, Audio King was going to charge me a 15% restocking fee for my return unless of course I exchanged it for another TV there which is what I'm going to do. I like the look of the Mits 46 so I'm okay with going for that, especially because I wanted a bigger TV all along, but the wife fought me on it.

The problem is I purchased a new stand for the 36" that is now useless because I need a longer stand for the Mits 46" 16:9. Oh well such is life.

Tim hows the Panny 47 look?

Kevin

15. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Well after initial Avia/VE tweaks, I'm very happy with the image quality, thought there is room for improvement. As noted in other forums the blue convergance is an issue (not bad mind you) but harder to get 'focused' than green or red.
    And overall the image is not as sharp as my previous tube set, but that is to be expected. I'm hoping to have HTFs own Gregg Loewen calibrate my set in the next month or so for the real fine tuning.
    Well I just went inside and did the SVM and red push fix, better, not amazing, but better overall. Going to attempt some convergence tweaks later perhaps. I just can't leave well enough alone [​IMG]
    Hooked up to an RP56, I never knew that Mr.Potatohead in Toy Story had 'texture' [​IMG]