Looking to have dual subs. What is the best match for Aperion Bravus 10D?

drummn22

Auditioning
Real Name
Troy
I have been looking at the speedwoofer 10s, svs pb-1000 or 2000, bic pl-200. What would pair best with my current Aperion Bravus 10D?

Robert_J

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You buy your sub to fit your room and your goals. Do you have an open floor plan and like to watch action movies where the explosions crush your chest? A 10" sub will not meet your expectations.

JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will probably sell the aperion and buy a svs pb2000.
I was going to suggest something along that line. The sub you have appears to be intended to give the best bang from a very small cabinet, so there are some real sacrifices with it. If you have room for a second sub, you have room for a single bigger sub. In general, a single, better sub is always better than two lesser ones.

drummn22

Auditioning
Real Name
Troy
I was going to suggest something along that line. The sub you have appears to be intended to give the best bang from a very small cabinet, so there are some real sacrifices with it. If you have room for a second sub, you have room for a single bigger sub. In general, a single, better sub is always better than two lesser ones.
Would one pb12- plus be better than dual pb2000's. After that they start getting too pricey.

JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, I'd say so, but it's kind of hard to speculate on what you want. A lot of the time with subs it's a decision between output and extension.

I have one of the early SVS subs, the PB12 Plus 2, and as good as it is, SVS just doesn't offer the value they did back then. The guys who started SVS are no longer involved with the company. However, one of them is still designing subs. If you are considering that price range, I'd look at the PowerSound Audio S3000i, if it's not too big.

How big is the room?

Robert_J

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My room is 14x18x9. Looking for punch on the chest during movies.
The punch in the chest is the 40hz to 50hz range. You can get that from these home theater subs by adding a specialized equalizer on our sub output channel.

My room is 12x22x9 and at one point had a pair of cloned SVS 20-32 CS Plus subs powered by a pro amp. It wasn't enough for me. I'm currently running dual 15" sealed subs with each getting 800w from a pro amp and a parametric EQ giving me a flat response from 100hz to 17hz + or - 3db. While this is all I need, I am planning my next upgrade to quad 15" ported subs tuned to 17hz. I'll be using a pair amps to send 800w to each sub. I may even add an 18" sub to the back of the room.

While a single 15" should be enough, having multiples allows me to reach the SPL and extension I want while not pushing the subs into distortion. It should also eliminate any room induced nulls.

I like that "chest thump" feeling when I watch music videos or concerts but that doesn't sound good on movies. I'm going to just EQ different room responses and save them in the memory of my equalizer.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CeAlCuadrado