Looking to get PS2 online... how do I do it?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave Poehlman, Jan 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I know I need to get an ethernet adapter for my PS2.. and my DSL is upstairs, so, I'd have to get a router to split the connection and run a network cable down to the livingroom to the PS2, right? Do I need to let my ISP know I'll be having another network adapter on my line?

But once I get it all hooked up, do I just plug it in and away I go? Do I have to pay to play online? I didn't think there was any subscription service with PS2.. is that still true?

So, ultimately I'm looking to spend about $40 for the network adapter and another $20 or so for a DSL router right (well, BB has 'em on sale this week with a mail-in rebate.. that's where I came up with that amount)?

2. Davin D

Davin D Agent

Typically your DSL provied won't know the difference between a computer connected or a router. In some cases, however, they look for what's called a MAC address.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Once I get the actual connection in place... how do I get online with the PS2?

I guess I'm looking for a "walk through" on how it's done. Do I have to enter in a server address or something for the game I want to play or does the software do the connection automatically?

4. Davin D

Davin D Agent

I haven't got that far myself. I just bought one of the new slim PS2s and it came with a disc that walked you through the network connection. It saves it to a memory card so that the games can use it.

After that, I assume each game is different in how it connects.