1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to get PS2 online... how do I do it?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave Poehlman, Jan 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I know I need to get an ethernet adapter for my PS2.. and my DSL is upstairs, so, I'd have to get a router to split the connection and run a network cable down to the livingroom to the PS2, right? Do I need to let my ISP know I'll be having another network adapter on my line?

But once I get it all hooked up, do I just plug it in and away I go? Do I have to pay to play online? I didn't think there was any subscription service with PS2.. is that still true?

So, ultimately I'm looking to spend about $40 for the network adapter and another $20 or so for a DSL router right (well, BB has 'em on sale this week with a mail-in rebate.. that's where I came up with that amount)?

2. Davin D

Davin D Agent

Typically your DSL provied won't know the difference between a computer connected or a router. In some cases, however, they look for what's called a MAC address.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Once I get the actual connection in place... how do I get online with the PS2?

I guess I'm looking for a "walk through" on how it's done. Do I have to enter in a server address or something for the game I want to play or does the software do the connection automatically?

4. Davin D

Davin D Agent

I haven't got that far myself. I just bought one of the new slim PS2s and it came with a disc that walked you through the network connection. It saves it to a memory card so that the games can use it.

After that, I assume each game is different in how it connects.